[Mk2] [NA] REPLACING ORIGINAL ICE

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Canopus

[Mk2] [NA] REPLACING ORIGINAL ICE

Post by Canopus »

My car is J reg so Mk 2 version one NA. It still has the original tripple DIN unit - one for the CD player, one for the radio and one for the cassette player. I'm certain I have the active system as I have a "woofer" behind the passenger seat.

I have purchaed a JVC unit (KD-R45E/MP3 USB port) with front and rear aux together with front USB and CD. I have also purchased the active harness adaptor PC9 - 406 (April 1990 - 99).

Now that I have all the bits I was suprised that the JVC unit already comes with a harness with a standard double ISO adaptor to "plug and play".

Obviously with the MR2 this is not practical hence the PC9 - 406 but on viewing the adaptor I notice it has only one terminal block which fits into the JVC double adaptor (It won't fit directly into the head unit) together with a number of standard sized output "jacks" for the speakers?

My question is where do these plug into in the MR2 as I thought that the PC9-406 adapter would enable me to just connect the wiring harness.

In the past I have had the old unit out to try to fix the CD player and don't recall any "jack" connectors. Are these redundant with this set up or will I need to cut and splice these outputs in some way?

I knew this wouldn't be a straight swop which is why I put the modfication off for quite a while!

Help!!

Thanks

Geoff
Goulding

Re: [Mk2] [NA] REPLACING ORIGINAL ICE

Post by Goulding »

The one block that fits, use it. the speakers are connected via using the pre-outs on your stereo to your new active harnesses RCA/Phono connectors. Simple plug and play.

The other empty block is for speaker connections that don't exist in your car.

Make sure that you connect the blue wire to your Power Control cable from your headunit also, as without this your sub and aerial won't turn on.

Top tip also, check if your headunit has an option to disable the amp.
Last edited by Goulding on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I havent come across the JVC KD-R45E, but on a quick google there is no mention of preouts on it? Do you want to put up a picture of the back of the unit as you may need to use hi to low level adaptors like below
Canopus

REPLACEMENT HEAD UNIT

Post by Canopus »

By way of an update, the JVC unit does not have any pre outs at the rear. I did not appreciate the significance of this when I purchased the head unit as this means the PC9 406 adaptor won't be a plug and play solution as there are no speaker signal connections.

The solution would appear to be an additional adaptor PC9-451 (£14 from Amazon) which reduces the signal output to a level the built in amplifier can handle.

This connects between the PC9-406 RCA connectors and the ISO adaptor so should collectivley work.

This is on order and I will report back once I've had a go at fitting.

Thanks

Geoff
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Goulding,

Can you clarify which blue wire connects where please?

Thanks

Geoff
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

There is a blue wire on your pc9-406 this needs to be connected to the blue or blue and white electric aerial power wire coming off your stereo. This gives power to switch the amps on and put the aerial up.
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Thank you. At the moment I can't confirm it all works as I'm still waiting for the additional connector but at the moment the ariel goes up when I swith on the radio but only goes down when I switch off the ignition - clearly the wrong wire but I can probably live with that provided the amps turn on which I won't know until I get the final connector!!!

Geoff
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Progress report - the new adaptor arrived but I would appear to have missunderstood the product description as whilst the PC9-451 will physically make the rest of the connections it does not reduce the head unit output so I am concerned that connecting it will blow the original amps. Would this happen?

Where did you purchase the "hi to low level adaptors?"

It's now getting to the point where the cumulative cost of the adaptors and complexity exceeds the cost of running new speaker cables.

From the wiring diagram I have it appears new cables just go to the door speakers with the tweeters wired in parallel?

The rear speakers should be easy but I'm not sure about how to wire the woffer in as that seems to have it's own separate amp?

I'll post developments!!

I know it was going to be frustrating!!

Geoff
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I thought the PC9-451 was a hi to low level convertor
"Autoleads PC9-451, 4 Channel ISO to RCA Line Output Converter, this adaptor can be used to provide a low level line output from a factory fitted head unit that doesn't have RCA outputs. It means you can run an amplifier from the existing original fitted radio. It will cut the rear speaker channels and convert these these to RCA. This saves cutting into your existing harness and damaging the original vehicle wiring."
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

So did I but it's only ISO connectors and wiring. There is no electonics to reduce the amplified signal.

I read the same blurb you doubtless did but I am concerned at trying it absent and reduction in signal strength as it may blow the amps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Geoff
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Hasnt it got built in high to low level adaptors wrapped in black heatshrink like these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _langId_-1
Last edited by madbasshunter on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

It's not easy to tell but the PC1 - 601 appears just to be a connector. I haven't found anywhere it suggests it actually reduces the signal strength, whicyh is what is needed.

I think there is confusdion between adaptors which permit the physical connection and hi low level adaptors which do the same thing but also reduce the signal voltage.

Thanks for the input.

Curioser and curioser said the whate rabbit!!

Geoff
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

I have done some more research into PC9-451 and various descriptions do seem to confirm that it does convert non RCA outputs (from standard ISO connector) to low level RCA inputs for feeding to an amp. What I find confusing is that similar products seem to have a black box of electronics as well.

I am completley confused now!

I guess I could try it and see if it works but once opened I can't return the product.

Still confused!

Geoff
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I just spoke to Stuart at Autoleads Technical (01420470618) who assured me that I am correct the PC9-451 is a high level to low level converter and he is quite happy for you to ring him and check if you want.
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Many thanks for the number of autoleads which is really appreciated. I just spoke to them for confirmation and indeed you are absolutley correct. Apparently under the shrink wrap there is a tiny circuit board which actually reduces the output signal. It was the lack of visual components that threw me.

Hence their PC9-451 is also known as a "smart lead" which distinction confirms there is some "elctronic wizadry" therein.

I found Autoleads to be very friendly and helpfull and they clearly know their stuff.

As an add on I purchased a universal din pocked from Halfords for about £16 to fill in the slot beneath the new head unit. One of the facia adaptors with the kit is a perfect flush finish which works well.

I still have to work out how to make the head unit more flush as it currently sticks out about half an inch. I intend to drill some new holes in the stero bracket so I can move the head unit back about half and inch, but will then need to create an "in fill" around the head unit.

Once done I'll try to post some pictures.

Again many thanks for all who gave me feedback.

I'll report back later how the final installation works.

Thanks again.

Geoff :D
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Okay a further update. The PC9-451 works fine and the head unit plays CD's. (and presumably USB and I-pod) as the unit works. Unfortunatley the radio ariel no longer operates so no radio!

I seem to be one connector short as when I bridge the gap the radio ariel goes up and all seems to work.

I presume no reason why I shouldn't make a permanent connection?

Nearly there! :shock:
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Okay, finally success. By using a combination of PC9-406 and the PC9-451 together with splicing the two blue wires together all works well.

I have endeavoured to get a more flush look by drilling new holes in the mounting bracket about 1/2" further forwards thus moving the head unti back by the same amount. In combination with the universal din fitting kit and by customising various parts from the kit I have been able to achieve a fairly flush finish.

If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll do so.

Thanks to all who assisted.

Cheers

Geoff
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

They do
looks quite neat :thumleft:

Return to “ICE and Security”