The cost of spares

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

The cost of spares

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This may make me seem like a tight xxxxxx but the cost of spares on eBay in particular cannot be a good image for our cars for potential owners?

I'm just targeting eBay here as I used to look out for bargains for mine, but nowadays there is just overpriced rubbish!

Is anyone else seeing this or am I just being a whining b1tch?
boondougal

Re: The cost of spares

Post by boondougal »

I have to admit that I have been thinking that parts are getting paeticularly expensive. I put it down to supply and demand.
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

I've noticed a mix of expensive parts on eBay and people on forums giving stuff away for free but no real middle ground. I think quite a few people are opting for the buy a whole car as a spares car method as they're so cheap at the moment.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:This may make me seem like a tight xxxxxx but the cost of spares on eBay in particular cannot be a good image for our cars for potential owners?

I'm just targeting eBay here as I used to look out for bargains for mine, but nowadays there is just overpriced rubbish!

Ebay and PayPal fees can add nearly 20% in costs to the seller. I rarely buy on ebay unless i really have to. Stuff is cheaper elsewhere.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

You can try ebid :thumleft:

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
stenky

Post by stenky »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:This may make me seem like a tight xxxxxx but the cost of spares on eBay in particular cannot be a good image for our cars for potential owners?

Ebay and PayPal fees can add nearly 20% in costs to the seller. I rarely buy on ebay unless i really have to. Stuff is cheaper elsewhere.
and adding some ridiculous shipping expenses to that, makes most spares double the price for me for example...
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Just a few examples on eBay i've seen

"rare mk1a eyebrows" - £38.99 + Postage = they aren't bloody rare they are the same as Mk1b ones which are also £38.99 its disgusting.

£55 for a standard second hand crank pulley
stenky

Post by stenky »

there should also be that "rare" clear rear TOYOTA visor for ridiculous hundreds of moneys :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
£55 for a standard second hand crank pulley

That's bonkers. I recently gave one away!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
craig

Post by craig »

Due to ebay insertion fees, final value fees & THEN Paypal fees on top, sellers are simply incorporating these charges into the item prices.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

There are plenty of chancers on there who list stuff for silly prices knowing full well that it probably won't sell but if it does they're quids in. It's not limited to mk1 parts.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

if any item listed on ebay or anywhere for that matter is too expensive you could consider not buying it
you have not been over charged for this advice :wink:
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

kevin..in wrote:if any item listed on ebay or anywhere for that matter is too expensive you could consider not buying it

:O
craig

Post by craig »

kevin..in wrote:if any item listed on ebay or anywhere for that matter is too expensive you could consider not buying it

:mrgreen:

Other thing I've seen a lot of, is people listing an item at 0.99p then putting what they actually want for the item in the postage cost as the insertion fee is only based on the starting price [-(
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

RedMR² wrote:

Other thing I've seen a lot of, is people listing an item at 0.99p then putting what they actually want for the item in the postage cost as the insertion fee is only based on the starting price [-(

Yeah i've seen a guy list some KYBs for 99p but £65 postage - cheeky but wrong.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Report it. Ebay are quite good at pulling auctions with excessive postage since they're losing out on fees.
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Report it. Ebay are quite good at pulling auctions with excessive postage since they're losing out on fees.

I did :twisted:

Also reported someone for using my images to sell something =;
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

There are people on the mk1 club who refuse to pay £180 for the SC rear lights as the think its overpriced and not worth it but willing to spend £39.99 on an inlet manifold???? Where is the sense.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:There are people on the mk1 club who refuse to pay £180 for the SC rear lights as the think its overpriced and not worth it but willing to spend £39.99 on an inlet manifold???? Where is the sense.

I wouldn't buy them at £180 either I got mine on ebay for £75 with lock, so some bargains are to be had but TBH they are few and far between, always worth looking for auctions mis-spelt etc for hard to find bargains.

Perhaps I should get back into selling parts on ebay again :thumleft:

I once sold an inlet manifold for 0.99p :(

But its ebay that are at fault TBH they have encouraged businesses only really I even got shut down by them as I disagreed that they said I was a business (I had sold three items in the last month) I won my appeal but I dont sell on there anymore.

I only ever used to sell what I didn't need and because I had 10 mk1's at one point but only one was a spares car, I needed a lot

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
MartG

Post by MartG »

There used to be one particular seller that always advertised parts at silly prices that turned out to be the 'official' shop of one of the Mk1 forums ( can't remember which ) - I thought the prices were just taking the p1$$ so never joined that forum. Don't know if they are still doing it

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”