[Mk2] [Turbo] Other flywheel - remap?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b145t3r

[Mk2] [Turbo] Other flywheel - remap?

Post by b145t3r »

Hi.

Just fitted new OS Giken clutch with a flywheel, started engine and it sounds like boxer engine :shock:

Before it was mapped with diferent flywheel.

I didn't touch the engine, so why it start failing? is it remap required? i've got Link G3..

:|
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Other flywheel - remap?

Post by bobhatton »

No, you do not need a remap. You have got something wrong when putting it all back together
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
b145t3r

Post by b145t3r »

bobhatton wrote:No, you do not need a remap. You have got something wrong when putting it all back together

#-o

I did this 4 times and every time same way. and it was fine. now, when i changed flywheel it sounds like detonating. and looks like sound comes from the botom.

by the way. there is a plug on engine block. i was rushing, so unplugged it instead of unplugging plug in gearbox. plugged it back, but it has weird plug. is it knock sensor? can it affect?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

bobhatton wrote:You have got something wrong when putting it all back together

+1

Changing flywheel and/or clutch will have no effect on engine sound. Possibly idle quality if very light, but not the effect you describe.
b145t3r

Post by b145t3r »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:

+1

Changing flywheel and/or clutch will have no effect on engine sound. Possibly idle quality if very light, but not the effect you describe.

Ok, if you are right, so what can effect it? i think you know how to change clutch.. i didn't unplug anything related to engine.. only ground wires. can they effect?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

b145t3r wrote:

+1

Ok, if you are right, so what can effect it? i think you know how to change clutch.. i didn't unplug anything related to engine.. only ground wires. can they effect?

Ground wires? There is only one ground wire required in the engine bay (excluding the engine loom earth under the inlet manifold), and that is the main OEM earth lead from gearbox to N/S engine mount. Without it cranking the engine will at best do nothing, at worst cause a small fire in your loom.

You say engine now sounds likke a "boxer" engine. Is it misfiring / running on less than 4 cylinders? Exhaust joint split?
b145t3r

Post by b145t3r »

b145t3r wrote:

+1

Ground wires? There is only one ground wire required in the engine bay (excluding the engine loom earth under the inlet manifold), and that is the main OEM earth lead from gearbox to N/S engine mount. Without it cranking the engine will at best do nothing, at worst cause a small fire in your loom.

You say engine now sounds likke a "boxer" engine. Is it misfiring / running on less than 4 cylinders? Exhaust joint split?

hard to explain that sound. before changing clutch it ran perfect. it is misfiring when cold, but i think because of cold grade sparks. but that sound is not like cylinder not working. by the way, that flywheel is heavier, not lighter. i had Fensport Rally edition, now it is OS Giken.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

b145t3r wrote:hard to explain that sound. before changing clutch it ran perfect. it is misfiring when cold, but i think because of cold grade sparks. but that sound is not like cylinder not working.

Changing flywheel and/or clutch will not result in the symptoms you are describing, whether heavier or lighter. End of.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Just a thought, is the Link G3 a standalone or piggyback ECU? If it's piggyback it could be that the stock ECU has been reset.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Standalone
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Nic wrote:Just a thought, is the Link G3 a standalone or piggyback ECU?

As Marf says, standalone.

Nic wrote:it could be that the stock ECU has been reset.

Slightly irrelevent, but out of interest, "reset" to what?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Slightly irrelevent, but out of interest, "reset" to what?

I'm not that familiar with the MR2 yet but have been into JZA80 Supras for the last 15 years. On the Supra if the battery is disconnected the stock ECU resets to default settings. When starting for the first time the engine will run quite rich/sound a bit lumpy and not idle, it takes a few miles drive for the ECU to 'relearn' the settings and run properly again.

As I said it was just a thought. Out of interest, does the stock MR2 ECU behave the same way?
b145t3r

Post by b145t3r »

update.

it can sound funny, but after a hard ride it works as before. first it was not boosting properly. but only after reaching redline..
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Nic wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Slightly irrelevent, but out of interest, "reset" to what?

I'm not that familiar with the MR2 yet but have been into JZA80 Supras for the last 15 years. On the Supra if the battery is disconnected the stock ECU resets to default settings.

As I said it was just a thought. Out of interest, does the stock MR2 ECU behave the same way?

Yes it works the same way mate

Return to “Modifications”