LED converted heater controls

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnnyC

Re: LED converted heater controls

Post by JohnnyC »

KarlBristol wrote:The drivers window control sections (for both windows and the window lock)- is this one single led or several??

Early revisions (revs 1 & 2 IIRC) had 3 LEDs.
Later revisions (rev3+ IIRC) had only 1 LED for the 'auto' switch.
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

JohnnyC wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:The drivers window control sections (for both windows and the window lock)- is this one single led or several??

Early revisions (revs 1 & 2 IIRC) had 3 LEDs.
Later revisions (rev3+ IIRC) had only 1 LED for the 'auto' switch.

whats your thoughts on this then...

biohazard

Post by biohazard »

p5ycho wrote:
MR2O12 wrote:
I then took 2 of the same bulbs and removed the blastic holder at the bottom, then took heater control apart and fit these inside, soldered the legs of the bulb directly to the heater circuit board, and also had to modify the light reflector to get the bulb to fit but you can see the light spread in the pic, I have no hot or dark spots and everything lights up nicely..

This looks nice and more straightforward from the led strips I was planning to give a go at. So you removed the 3 (or 4) bulb plastic holders on the heater board (that keep the original bulbs) and soldered these bulbs where the respctive holes are on the heater board? How did you modify the reflector?
Rob

Post by Rob »

^ How come you have 2 Auto switches?

No SW20 came with passenger side Auto - have you retro-fitted it???
oteck

Post by oteck »

he probably just swap out the switch cover from another :mrgreen:

this one of two im building from my ebil lab

While my current looks like this it maybe a while before i do the full auto's
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

i want to do the same with my clocks-but want them blue do you rekon these will be ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-T10-W5W-50 ... 43ad6f467a

entered in wrong post!haha ignore this!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Which LED's do i need for my sidelights..
hygt2

Post by hygt2 »

Quick question, if you change the cluster and heater control bulbs to LEDs, would the light dimmer still works to dim the interior or the LEDs are set only at its brightest setting?
Draven

Post by Draven »

hygt2 wrote:Quick question, if you change the cluster and heater control bulbs to LEDs, would the light dimmer still works to dim the interior or the LEDs are set only at its brightest setting?

If it has the correct resistor on it it would still dim..
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Rob wrote:^ How come you have 2 Auto switches?

No SW20 came with passenger side Auto - have you retro-fitted it???

I have fitted a onetouch window module to the car and windows now open and close with one touch.. as for the window switches .. I modified it and fit a auto switch from another cars window control, it wasn't just a case of simply dropping the switch in after opening the unit, I had to grind down the shaft of the switch and mod it to make it fit and work , as the switch with the auto writing has a longer stub/shaft than the blank/passenger side one..
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

Psyco - fancy eraning yourself some money as im desperate to have an auto up/down for the passenger side! thanks
KerryN

Post by KerryN »

hygt2 wrote:Quick question, if you change the cluster and heater control bulbs to LEDs, would the light dimmer still works to dim the interior or the LEDs are set only at its brightest setting?

It will work as normal on your Clocks :thumleft:
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Vampire wrote:Psyco - fancy eraning yourself some money as im desperate to have an auto up/down for the passenger side! thanks

I would love to mate.. and i would be glad to help,.. only problem is one touch windows on passenger side aint an easy task.. unless you have a one touch window module..
switches is another game all together...

if you want the window module fitted I can indeed do it for you.. drop me a pm and we can sort out a price and place.. thanx
biohazard

Post by biohazard »

p5ycho wrote:
MR2O12 wrote:I then took 2 of the same bulbs and removed the blastic holder at the bottom, then took heater control apart and fit these inside, soldered the legs of the bulb directly to the heater circuit board, and also had to modify the light reflector to get the bulb to fit but you can see the light spread in the pic, I have no hot or dark spots and everything lights up nicely..

You used resistors with these right?
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

biohazard wrote:
p5ycho wrote:
MR2O12 wrote:I then took 2 of the same bulbs and removed the blastic holder at the bottom, then took heater control apart and fit these inside, soldered the legs of the bulb directly to the heater circuit board, and also had to modify the light reflector to get the bulb to fit but you can see the light spread in the pic, I have no hot or dark spots and everything lights up nicely..

You used resistors with these right?

the led bulbs I used were 12v 501 type so no resisters needed..
Rob

Post by Rob »

p5ycho wrote:
Vampire wrote:Psyco - fancy eraning yourself some money as im desperate to have an auto up/down for the passenger side! thanks

I would love to mate.. and i would be glad to help,.. only problem is one touch windows on passenger side aint an easy task.. unless you have a one touch window module..

if you want the window module fitted I can indeed do it for you.. drop me a pm and we can sort out a price and place.. thanx

Is there any way you could do a write up? I too would love this feature......
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Rob wrote:
p5ycho wrote:

Is there any way you could do a write up? I too would love this feature......

I would gladly do a write up mate, but like I said before.. one touch on passenger side needs a module, either a toyota one which is a pain in the balls to fit and make work, or a aftermarket one, aftermarket modules are available, and wiring in takes a couple of hourse,,
I am currently building my 2nd mr2, when i get to the windows I will do a write up for u,,
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Another thread im dragging from the depths but i changed the bulbs in the heater panel on my gt four and im sure those brown bulb holders were the same as those.....

You dont have to dick around with resistors, im sure i used t4 bulbs like these and they fit straight in the existing holes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-T3-T4-T5 ... 5512733%26

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”