Folding mirrors

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Folding mirrors

Post by Draven »

Right after a long wait i finally have my retracting mirrors installed.. the only problem is the drivers side doesn't retract.

If you press the button the passengers side retracts but the drivers doesn't if you then press the button to fold the mirrors in and push the drivers one in and press the button both wing mirrors open as they should..

Any one else had this issue? Is it the relay that has an issue? 8-[
John145

Re: Folding mirrors

Post by John145 »

My car currently has exact the same problem! Haven't gotten around to taking the door card apart yet to investigate though...
Draven

Post by Draven »

Going to see if replacing the relay is going to help.. :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

If it opens then it is getting a signal from the relay. Check the wiring to the relay and also inspect the assembly on the mirror motor. It could be that the cogs have been installed incorrectly and are not moving freely in one direction.

I am assuming you guys did the UK mod to retain the heated mirrors and not the full loom install.

John.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Torero wrote:If it opens then it is getting a signal from the relay. Check the wiring to the relay and also inspect the assembly on the mirror motor. It could be that the cogs have been installed incorrectly and are not moving freely in one direction.

I am assuming you guys did the UK mod to retain the heated mirrors and not the full loom install.

John.

No i have the full loom mirror install. basically doors and mirrors from a GT..
Torero

Post by Torero »

Draven wrote:No i have the full loom mirror install. basically doors and mirrors from a GT..

Worth trying the relay then, you could also swap the mirrors over and try them on opposite sides to see if the issue is local to a single unit or common to either mirror. It should narrow down your options.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Torero wrote:
Draven wrote:No i have the full loom mirror install. basically doors and mirrors from a GT..

Worth trying the relay then, you could also swap the mirrors over and try them on opposite sides to see if the issue is local to a single unit or common to either mirror. It should narrow down your options.

Yep i'm going to buy another relay and see if that helps.. :? would be such a shame after waiting months to get the retracting mirrors for them to not work. [-X
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Shouldn't be the relay as the whole assembly worked on my car before I sent them to you :?

Does sound very weird though....... I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why one of them would suddenly stop.... Is everything definitely connected right?
Draven

Post by Draven »

bluesmoke wrote:Shouldn't be the relay as the whole assembly worked on my car before I sent them to you :?

Does sound very weird though....... I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why one of them would suddenly stop.... Is everything definitely connected right?

Well i'm going to quickly take off the door cards and un plug everything and plug it all back in again it may just be a dodgy connection on the drivers side..
oteck

Post by oteck »

do a continuity test on the driver side to ensure the wire is solid. the door harness is prone to sheering from all that opening and closing and water
Torero

Post by Torero »

oteck wrote:do a continuity test on the driver side to ensure the wire is solid. the door harness is prone to sheering from all that opening and closing and water
+1 Good shout :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”