Brake pad topic to sum up all other brake pad topics

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Finn

Brake pad topic to sum up all other brake pad topics

Post by Finn »

Right.

Mk1b. Owner is a 50 yo. male. Car is a daily driver, driving is commute + sprited driving including several trackdays in the summer. Koni SSK234 suspension kit, 195/50-15 tyres. Stock brake discs, stock calipers, braided lines.

Which pads to choose? :?:
SuperRedMR2

Re: Brake pad topic to sum up all other brake pad topics

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've used EBC Green stuff pads for ages until i've swapped my stock calipers for celica brakes. Never had an issue with Green Stuff, though other members don't rate them. Yellow stuff possibly for track days.

Mintex pads are also good too, but don't know of part no.s im afraid.
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

Havent gotten around buying any yet, but a couple on here says the carbotech`s is very good. Eats disks and a bit expensive, but good braking.

Will try them myself as soon as i`m done with all the other expenses these old cars need :(
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

EBC Red (Very Fast Road / Trackday) is a very good all-rounder, in between Green (Fast Road) and Yellow (race technically).

Up from EBC in price is Ferodo, DS2500 is road/trackday and DS3000 is race.

Start paying loads of cash and you have Carbotech and Pagid....but for the money these cost over a year or two you can start looking at caliper upgrades with lower cost pads...and get better results.

Other makes are Mintex, Performance Friction.....and Toyota.

I would always get EBC Red as a starting point over Toyota / motor factor pads.
Finn

Post by Finn »

First of all thank you for the comments.

Having thought this from all angles or so I'm afraid I will need to scrap some of the available products because they do not have same type pads for rear and being an ultra-anal old fart I wish to have front and rear same compund.

There's some good written info on different EBC pads on www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk

EBC Greenstuff

front DP2453
rear DP2602

Greenstuff Pads are the ultimate performance/fast road brake pads you can get. These pads have a high friction coefficient, great initial bite from cold, and do not fade like standard brake pads. Being low dust, Greenstuff pads cut down between 60-90% of the dust common with most competitive types of semi-metallic pad on your alloys keeping wheels cleaner and delivering performance at the same time.

Features
Perfect for fast road use
Brake well from cold
Effective to very high temperatures
Low dust formula - Keeps your wheels cleaner than other break pads
Ideal for cars producing up to 200BHP (For cars producing more than 200Bhp we suggest EBC Redstuff Pads)

EBC Redstuff

front DP3453C
rear DP3602C

Bring your sports car, Japanese muscle car, or performance European cars to a halt with EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads!
EBCs high performance road compound, the next grade up from Greenstuff, Redstuff pads deliver unparalleled stopping power up to incredibly high temperatures, making them perfect for cars such as the BMW M3, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru Impreza and other High Performance vehicles. Recommended for road cars with 200+ Bhp. Staying in complete control of your high-octane ride is essential and thats why you need EBCs Red Stuff Brake Pads.

An ECE R90 approved pad, legal for road use yet capable of stopping you from regular 100mph plus runs without fade. The pads just keep getting better the more abuse you give them.

Features:
EBC Redstuff Brake Pads are designed to directly replace your stock pads
These ceramic pads are specifically formulated for serious road driving
Redstuff Brake Pads can cut stopping distances by up to 42 feet over stock parts
Minimal dust leaves your wheels clean, producing 50% less dust than most stock pads
Quiet braking ceramic blend of your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads fights off squeal
Features EBC Brake-In TM surface coating which conditions brake disc surface and accelerates pad bed-in, delivering strong braking power right out of the box
Features a center-line slot that vents heat and gas to prevent thermal cracks and brake fade
The pad plates are powder coated for a lifetime of rust-free service

EBC Yellowstuff

front DP4453R
rear DP4602R

Although a full race material and capable of high temperature use with very good wear life, this new formulation sets a new trend in race type brake pad compounds. The bite from cold is superb which is uncommon with race materials (normally requiring warm-up) and makes this a pad which can be safely used on the road as well as on the race track. This new formulation was used by numerous championship race and rally drivers in 2009 and is truly a milestone in brake pad material development.

Features
Road & Track day
Effective to ultra-high operating temperatures
Finn

Post by Finn »

There are also premier Ferodo pads available

front FDB308
rear FDB470

How these stack up with EBC above I have no idea yet.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Finn wrote:...... I wish to have front and rear same compund.

Having different compounds front to rear isn't necessarily a bad thing - it can help tune the braking balance between front and rear for example.

Also the fronts tend to get worked harder, so get up to temp quickly while the rears are not up to full working temperature, so having ( for example ) Reds on the front and Greens on the rear may work well, depending on your driving style.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”