PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Don't see how this problem can be diagnosed without removing the head

Seriously? Check to see if the oil is visibly running out of the join between the head and block, and carry out a compression test, pretty simple really.

If the oil is literally running out without even running the engine it should be very easy to see where it's coming from, no head removal required unless it can be visibly seen to be coming from it, worst case scenario the exhaust manifold needs to come off to inspect.

It makes no sense to me at all taking the head off if it can be diagnosed left on, but what do i know.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul, Tom has looked at this and it seems to be coming out from the joint between the head and the block (following a converation I had with Tom yesterday). He identified the oil gallery as being the problem area.

Given all that it would seem that Tom has already been methodical and if you know Tom, you'll know how careful he is, then about all you can do is remove the head.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Well there is definately compression. When turning the engine off TDC to remove the cams there was definate hard compression. its not a definite stream, is more like a trickle, its not from the dizzy cap, but in the dizze cap area slightly more to the g/box end.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Lauren wrote:Paul, Tom has looked at this and it seems to be coming out from the joint between the head and the block (following a converation I had with Tom yesterday). He identified the oil gallery as being the problem area.

Given all that it would seem that Tom has already been methodical and if you know Tom, you'll know how careful he is, then about all you can do is remove the head.

Absolutely,if Tom has visually seen the oil coming from the join between block and head then i agree it needs to come off as he has identified the problem, from the information given i presumed it was not known where the oil was coming from and that head removal was being advised to diagnose the leak... which as we know is akin to cutting the head off a chicken to see if it stops squawking.

Tom knows what he's doing though :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Gasket's upside down

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

elbon50 wrote:Gasket's upside down

Peter

If that is the case Alex, don't beat yourself up about it, we've all done things that could have been helped possibly through rushing it through or just assuming that its correct.

My bestie who is a qualified Volvo Techy put a clutch plate the wrong way round on my Triumph Acclaim many moons ago and we wondered why it didn't work.

Hell, we've both poured oil into the cam covers and then realised why there was a giant puddle of oil on the ground as we hadn't put the DIZZY IN!!

Its best to take your time and double check everything is correct and learn from your mistakes.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Peter

If that is the case Alex, don't beat yourself up about it, we've all done things that could have been helped possibly through rushing it through or just assuming that its correct.

My bestie who is a qualified Volvo Techy put a clutch plate the wrong way round on my Triumph Acclaim many moons ago and we wondered why it didn't work.

Hell, we've both poured oil into the cam covers and then realised why there was a giant puddle of oil on the ground as we hadn't put the DIZZY IN!!

Its best to take your time and double check everything is correct and learn from your mistakes.

Totally agree with every word of that Alex :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Alex if you find you want another HG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRD-HEAD-GASK ... 811wt_1185
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

The thing is, with it being in my old work in the workshop, which is used daily while im not there. Im only working on it in the evenings and saturdays, all the way though, somebody, i dont know who has been playing silly buggers as everything taken off was stored in a methodical order and in specific places. Ive quite often found bits moved, hidden missing, etc etc.
Possibility the HG could have been tampered with and the had placed back ontop without my knowledge.
Alex

Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Peter

Hold on :shock: , I didn't say it was upside down, I just said that the leak was so prevalent that it would suggest so. I don't even know if the gasket fire rings are symmetrical and whether it can be fitted upside down. I believe there is compression on the cylinders so if it is upside down then the dowel holes must be symmetrical around the centreline.

Anyway until Alex takes the head off we won't know. All I know is there's nothing obvious stopping the head seating properly on the block and visually it appears to be down. On Saturday we released the bolts, I rocked the head a bit to try and make it seat, then the head bolts were retorqued down and it still leaked really badly.

Alex was evidently a bit down about it :(

Alex, chin up, it will be fixed soon either which way :thumleft:

Let me know what evenings you are working on it and I may pop in and see how you are getting on. I don't finish work till 6pm, so it would be about 6.20pm earliest I could arrive.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Icsunonove wrote:

Peter

Hold on :shock: , I didn't say it was upside down

It's my conclusion that the gasket is upside down

Will be very surprised if I'm wrong

Time will tell though
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Well as suspected the gasket was the wrong way, didn't get any photos but as predicted the oil drain was covered. Cant think how its been done, again i think somebody is playing silly buggers as i know the gasket was on correct.
New gasket ordered!
Alex

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well at least you know that this should sort it out and it's not something more serious. :+:

Still it ain't cheap as you'll need a new set of head bolts too. :( A gasket and head bolts came to £77 when I bought them a couple of weeks ago.

Don't worry, we won't rib you about it for years to come. :tongue:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:Don't worry, we won't rib you about it for years to come. :tongue:

Oh yes we will :lol:

No its not funny really

The practical joker has cost you time as well as money, upset & embarrassment

Tell you what if you don't mention Jamex springs I wont mention downside up gaskets :whistle:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

In all honesty i dont find it funny. Imagine if it handn't have leaved out oil (thank god it did) and i drove it down the road and melted the engine, imagine another 4 figure bill...I was quite irate when i found that out last night. Are new bolts essential? I was told by toyota they are not stretch bolts when i ordered last time...
Alex

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

They are stretch bolts Alex, Toyota are dim sometimes especially if its your local scroat on the parts desk who hasn't got a scooby.

If you don't use stretch bolts and something happens, there could be another huge bill. I got mine for £33, depends where you go for them.

My bolts weren't from Toyota, they were from an automotive bolt supplier the engineers go to when they skimmed my head. You can get parts just as good if not better from different suppliers, unless you like getting ripped off by Toyota, go ahead and get them from there.

My HG kit wasn't from Toyota either and I had no issues with my car and it did 4k miles before I took it off the road at the beginning of March.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

pk_090 wrote:In all honesty i dont find it funny. Imagine if it handn't have leaved out oil (thank god it did) and i drove it down the road and melted the engine, imagine another 4 figure bill...I was quite irate when i found that out last night. Are new bolts essential? I was told by toyota they are not stretch bolts when i ordered last time...
Alex

I know it's not funny, but once you've got it up and running, I'm sure you'll look back hopefully with a little humour(!).

They are stretch bolts.

Upto you where you get them from. I've run 4AGE's since 2000 though and I like to use OEM, especially for the important stuff like head gaskets and head bolts. :+:

I get a fairly good discount at Toyota though, maybe that helps?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Alex, I'm really sorry for you that this has happened :(

As far as the bolts are concerned, I am afraid I really would fit new items. I have seen myself the consequences of using stretch to yield bolts more than once.

Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon :thumleft:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Well a busy weekend, and not alot got done in all honesty. Hopefully this week the car will get sorted, the buckets seats are ready to be bolted in, but ive encountered a problem with the harnesess. They are effectively too long by about 25cm's they are currently shortened to the max so could probably do with being shortened by about 35 cm's in total, any advice or ideas where i can get this done?
Alex

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I've got the same issues with my 3 point harnesses, the only way I could see to sort it was to fit a harness bar accross the back of the cabin and wrap them round it a few times before bolting them to the floor. :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”