PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pk_090

Re: PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Post by pk_090 »

Well it has been a while since i have done an update. My laptop hard drive fried itself 2 weeks ago so im now dealing with a pre-historic one which takes an eternity to load anything and in all honesty would be better off not bothering as id be without the stress of endless white boxes, not responding screens etc etc.
Thank god my work computer isn't like that. Anyway, Engine progress is coming along slow and steady, bottom end has been built up, head has been placed, and head bolts are ready to be tightened down and torqued up, hopefully will be done tonight!

Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Come on, Alex! :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Oulton on the 23rd Lauren?

Come on! :tongue:

Id have had this done probably by now if i had it at home, but the fact my old work offered me a ramp to make it "easier" and i couldn't refuse.
I have one question though, The old crank pulley that came off was royally broken, all the metal sides were broken, snapped off etc etc, so i bought another one. The new (used) one is in alot better condition but the timing marks on the very outside of the pulley are missing, will i still be able to time it up correctly?
Alex

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Good to read that the engine is coming together Alex :thumleft:

If it was me I'd set No1 to TDC & mark the pulley, then copy the other marks relative to that from the remains of the old pulley

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

pk_090 wrote:Oulton on the 23rd Lauren?

Come on! :tongue:

Id have had this done probably by now if i had it at home, but the fact my old work offered me a ramp to make it "easier" and i couldn't refuse.
I have one question though, The old crank pulley that came off was royally broken, all the metal sides were broken, snapped off etc etc, so i bought another one. The new (used) one is in alot better condition but the timing marks on the very outside of the pulley are missing, will i still be able to time it up correctly?
Alex

The 23rd of March is my last day in my job, so no chance I'm afraid!

As Peter said, use a vernier in No.1 cylinder and measure TDC, then just mark the crank pulley with some tippex or similar. This is how we timed mine up at the weekend as it had a bit missing where the timing marks would be.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

A vernier is a bit posh :p I just bung a long 3/8" extension down the plug hole and tweak the crank until the extension is sticking out to it's highest point :lol:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

You can actually get reasonably accurate results doing that :thumleft:

But digital verniers are so cheap and abundant nowadays you may as well use one.

Alex, as everyone says, remarking TDC with your own timing pointer is not a big issue whattsoever. If you don't have a vernier you can borrow my depth clock (the proper tool for the job) as long as you look after it and return it asap. This thing:

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I should add, that it was Tom who was entrusted with measuring TDC on my engine and setting the timing.

:lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Well just a quick snapshot.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

TDC is marked on #1 but it was all marked up from when the engine was stripped down, but when sent to the machnieists the marks have come off (it was only tip-ex), but the markings on the pulleys are still in tact as they were left alone. I was thinking of marking TDC and then using a timing light to try and get it as spot on as i can.

Tom, i pass your house daily and am literally a stones throw away, and have been meaning to call in for a cuppa for a few weeks but haven't done so!

Alex

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Alex, why not just post the photo? Cam covers look nice, but I see you cba to clean the rest of it. :tongue:

Just do the timing as other's and I have already said. It's a POP. :+:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

To be completely honesty Lauren i didn't know how (and still don't!). Engine is now pretty much all together and sitting under the ready to be lifted in, everything plugged/plumed in and attached. Ive just been doing the bits i can really haven't spent too much time cleaning everything, i mean some bits i plan take off for example over a weekend when the car is not used and give it a spruce and put back on, i just want the car back now, 4 months is long enough. I am querying whether its an original engine though, i thought the standard 4age in the aw11 was a "4 rib" block. Well unless i am mistaken i think it is a 7 rib block, still with t-vis and all that.. Ordered a new water pump, and they one supplied didn't fit, looks completely different, so i thoroughly cleaned and lubed the old one and put that back on. Having so many issues with wrong parts its unreal. I suppose it would also explain why bolts on the old engine were missing/not tight!

Alex

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

To paste a pic there is a sticky on here somehwere, but basically just right click select 'copy image address' or 'properties' (if it's Windows). Then copy that and click 'img' paste the url (if you have got it right it will end in 'jpg'). Then click '/img' and job done. :+:

Sounds like you have a 7 Rib, which would be correct for the year. I had an 87 t-bar that was a 3 rib, it can vary at that age.

Totally understand that you want to get it back on the road. I did a cheap job on my AE86 as I just wanted to be driving the car and I really didn't over spend on parts. Mark cleaned and re-packed the idle bearing as an example and we didn't bother changing the timing belt. I only bought parts that were really important like injector seals, and a waterpump o-ring.

I didn't bother cleaning much (think Mark cleaned the injector rail and the injectors).

Still sounds like your dealer is rubbish. It's not that difficult to get the right waterpump! Not sure what one they'd given you if it was completely different.

Sounds like you are nearly there. :+:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

ah ok i thought all the early 4age's were 3 rib and then the silver and blacktops were a 7 rib. The lad that has helped me build it says that if i blow it up again they are both going to kill me! #-o ?He has even written it on the belt cover!
Getting really excited now i think a meet may be in order.

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Know what you mean about not wanting to blow it up. Even though mine is basically just swopping in another working short engine, I'm still so nervous to really give it any stick.

4AGEs 1983-1987 are three rib. That's why all AE86's are three rib.

They changed over to 7 rib in 1987, but it can vary during that year. Do you know when in 1987 your car was made?

Very happy to come over and see you Alex, perhaps we can pick up Tom on our way?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Not 100% sure Lauren i have the month march in my head for some reason, but then that could have been when the punto was made so not 100% sure. Little does Tom know but he lives about 100 yards from me!
Alex

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote:Little does Tom know but he lives about 100 yards from me!
Alex

Thought you lived at Loggerheads & Tom at Market Drayton Alex :?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

thats probably so peter, it does say in the trackday share that is in market drayton, thats still only a couple of mines away on a steady drive!

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote:thats probably so peter, it does say in the trackday share that is in market drayton, thats still only a couple of mines away on a steady drive!

:?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I see you bought the tein pillowballs Peter...more money than sense! :whistle:

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote:I see you bought the tein pillowballs Peter...more money than sense! :whistle:

Lol

Posssibly Alex :)

Time will tell

Have bought a few rare items recently that may or may not prove useful :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”