New Rev5 Turbo owner, hello!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gazchap

New Rev5 Turbo owner, hello!

Post by gazchap »

Hi guys,

Since Sunday I'm the proud owner of a Rev5 tubby (reg. R644 TKR, does anyone know if it's an ex club car?)

So I thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a bit of a die-hard Toyota fan, had a variety of sporty (and not so sporty!) Toyotas, and currently have a GT-Four ST205 as well as the MR2, and a Corolla T-Sport as well (although that will shortly be sold to fund the MR2 :P)

I'm loving the MR2 so far, there's some weird things about the car that weren't apparent on the test drive, but nothing massive.

A couple of questions though - the speedo still reads in kilometres and km/h, but I obviously want to get the speed reading (at the very least) changed to mpg so that I can actually see how fast I'm going without having to do mental calculations ;)

I've bought a dial-face off eBay to replace the existing one, but how do I go about getting at the existing face to swap it over?

Also, when driving, the car seems to take bloody ages to get up to temperature - I've got a 15 minute drive to work through town centre traffic, a good 3-4 miles, and the needle had barely moved up by the time I got there this morning. Is this normal?

And the last question (for now, heh) is that the engine seems to "burp" while driving sometimes. Sounds kind of like a dump valve venting to atmosphere, but with more of a "burp" rather than a "whoosh."

The car still has the stock recirc dump valve on it, but the previous owner did put an APEXi induction kit on it just before I bought it - would this be the cause of this? Anything to worry about?

Cheers all!
Tsia

Re: New Rev5 Turbo owner, hello!

Post by Tsia »

The clock faces won't change the mileage, by the way. So it'll still count up your 'miles done' in kilometres. You can get conversions though.

The temperature thing does seem a bit slow, mine usually gets up to just under 1/2 way at about the 2-3 mile mark.

When you say burps, is this when you change at low boost or high?

Edit : Welcome! :D
Harold

Post by Harold »

gazchap wrote:Hi guys,

Since Sunday I'm the proud owner of a Rev5 tubby (reg. R644 TKR, does anyone know if it's an ex club car?)

So I thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a bit of a die-hard Toyota fan, had a variety of sporty (and not so sporty!) Toyotas, and currently have a GT-Four ST205 as well as the MR2, and a Corolla T-Sport as well (although that will shortly be sold to fund the MR2 :P)

I'm loving the MR2 so far, there's some weird things about the car that weren't apparent on the test drive, but nothing massive.

A couple of questions though - the speedo still reads in kilometres and km/h, but I obviously want to get the speed reading (at the very least) changed to mpg so that I can actually see how fast I'm going without having to do mental calculations ;)

I've bought a dial-face off eBay to replace the existing one, but how do I go about getting at the existing face to swap it over?

Also, when driving, the car seems to take bloody ages to get up to temperature - I've got a 15 minute drive to work through town centre traffic, a good 3-4 miles, and the needle had barely moved up by the time I got there this morning. Is this normal?

And the last question (for now, heh) is that the engine seems to "burp" while driving sometimes. Sounds kind of like a dump valve venting to atmosphere, but with more of a "burp" rather than a "whoosh."

The car still has the stock recirc dump valve on it, but the previous owner did put an APEXi induction kit on it just before I bought it - would this be the cause of this? Anything to worry about?

Cheers all!

Taking ages to warm up usually means the thermostat is knackered. Cheap part and easy to replace so no big problem, my car also does the funny burping thing and I'd like to know why also.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Could either of you record this 'burp' and upload it somewhere?

No recording real burps either! :evil:
gazchap

Post by gazchap »

Cheers :) Yeah, not too fussed about the odometer being in kilometres, just don't want to bother with mental calculations while "on the go" ;)

No, oddly enough it's usually when I'm accelerating while going around a corner. There's no hard and fast rule about when it happens though. Assuming the induction kit is on the left of the engine bay (as you look at it from behind) it's definitely coming from there.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

The air does get pushed back into there (roughly) and if you're used to an ST205 then you probably won't have heard it before, I've certainly never heard it on my friend's ST205. Anyway, it could be when you change under low-ish boost, it just making a fluttering noise, which mine tends to do aswell.

Hmm :-k
Marf

Post by Marf »

Welcome :)

Could the burp be described as a honk? The standard recirculating dump valve makes an odd noise under certain conditions.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

1) You can get a clamping delimeter from Stef Derner. Contact him via PM http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... file&u=117. Best way to do it really. If you do want to change the faces you have to remove the centre tunnel trim, then the trim round the heater, radio and vents, then the piece between there and the wheel, then the one round the ignition barrel. Then unscrew the 4 screws holding the gauge pod in, then pull out the trim between the gauges and the lip of the dashboard. Then unclip the cluster pushing the locking clips inwards. You can work out the rest. A word of warning you will have to remove the dial needle. To reset it is quite an effortful process involving a lot of trial and error.

The temp issue is probably thermostat related

If the burp could be described as a goose honk then thats the standard recirculation noise. Ive found WD40 into the valve gets rid of the noise somewhat.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I find the MR2 does take a little longer to get up to temperature.
Most likely due to the fact that there's 13.5 litres of coolant in the system.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

nothing to contribute apart from hi fellow SA poster! :mrgreen:

Marf wrote:Welcome :)

Could the burp be described as a honk? The standard recirculating dump valve makes an odd noise under certain conditions.

isnt that normaly when the recirc is knackered? Mine never honked on the stock hotpipe or bodged onto the 205cc and I run an apexi filter
Bry

Post by Bry »

Burp is normal, it is also known as the goose honk, it is just the re circ dump valve doing its thing
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Welcome

:wink: yep burp is normal.

PS lets see some pictures of this bad boy?? You'll need a post count of 15 or higher to post images.
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

My car started burping too once i installed an apexi filter - it never did with standard setup.
T
Harold

Post by Harold »

My burp doesn't happen whilst changing gear though, and I have a stock airbox.
greeny

Post by greeny »

JohnnyC wrote:I find the MR2 does take a little longer to get up to temperature.
Most likely due to the fact that there's 13.5 litres of coolant in the system.

System capacity wont make any difference to the warm up time, as when cold it only runs around the block, hence the thermostat, to open up when warm.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
gazchap

Post by gazchap »

Yeah, "goose honk" is probably a good way to describe it!

Good to know that it's somewhat normal - I'm not too bothered about it, in fact it's quite an interesting "quirk" of the car, I like it :)

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get a chance :) I'm taking my ST205 down to the south coast this weekend, having a Castrol graphics set put on it :)

Looks like JohnnyC's though, basically - silver and black, with the Rev5 extras like the combat spoiler. Rev 3 wheels though.

Actually, that's reminded me of something else. When opening my tailgate, there's a very loud sloshing noise that comes from the spoiler, as if it's full of water or some other fluid.

Assuming that this isn't normal, how would water be getting into it?!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

After you come off the throttle, the standard dump valve opens, and it's not until you've reached positive manifold pressure that it closes, which aids in a faster spool up. That's why there's a little one way valve on the top feed.

So the goose honk is the dumpvalve closing. Watch your boost gauge you'll see.
Chris

Post by Chris »

nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

My stock bov made a odd noise id call burping too. i replaced with an apexi and its all cured now:)
gazchap

Post by gazchap »

Aah, so it's an ex-club car then, that's comforting.

It passed a fresh MOT on the 23rd Feb anyway, with no advisories.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”