[Mk2] [Turbo] Best value standalone ECU?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

msherry21

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best value standalone ECU?

Post by msherry21 »

I'm based in Glasgow but don't have any issue with driving anywhere in the UK to have it done properly.

Basically, whoever is best at doing it!

Cheers.
Nic

Post by Nic »

msherry21 wrote:Basically, whoever is best at doing it!

See my earlier post about Ryan, it'd be worth giving him a call to discuss.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ryan has flown to Glasgow to map Murf's 1.5 :thumleft:
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Cheers for that guys, thats my decision made then, just need to find a Power FC, or maybe even see if he could just map the Unichip? To be fair, its already been mapped, may just need a "tweak" here and there.

cheers, Michael.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

msherry21 wrote:maybe even see if he could just map the Unichip?

No way. Unichip dealers only.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Thats me told!! :-D
DB1

Post by DB1 »

Clive Atthowe tuning in norwich do dastek unichips. i had my NA 'tweaked' there, £130 and it only took 3 RR runs, so in and out in an hour and 15mins
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

We used to have "Dastek" actually up here in Dalgetty Bay, Fife but apparently they don't exist there anymore. :-( Thats where my chip was originally fitted and mapped, was brilliant too.

Cheers.
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

If you don't mind me asking - how did you get on with the Unichip?

I would say it must have been fairly well if you're considering re-fitting it.

The reason i ask is I have a CT20b fitted to a rev2 with forged pistons etc and am in need of a ecu. I bought a dastek a while ago but never got round to fitting it - plus at the time I was more flush and I got swayed with the opinions that standalone is best.
I've missed out on two link ecus for sale and a PFC is not an option for a rev 2 unless I can find an ultra rare AP engineering version or lay out more for a rev 3 re-wire.
The prices of ecus amaze me and I just can't justify a grand plus mapping these days for some new kit or running the risk of £600 for a used option.
This year I'll probably dig out the Dastek and see if I can find somewhere to fit and map it.
The car really needs smoething to deliver what it should be capable of and to stop it driving like a pig.

Regards.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

If cheap is your goal then the megasquirt is a good option. I am running mine in parallel to the stock ecu and using it to control boost and fuel. Mapping is done on the road with a wideband.

Cheap but hard work, that's what I like though.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Another +1 for PFC - an oldie but a goodie. Has an awesome self-learning idle process as well.

I think people are complaining about the price because in the good old days (ie. around 5+ years ago) they were quite a bit cheaper to buy from places like Japan. Unfortunately the pound exchange rate is now more like £1 to US$1.50 rather than the £1 to $2 back then so the prices we see from overseas sellers (for eg. the Japanese sellers on ebay) seem to have jumped hugely but in reality it's probably more likely our weak pound.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Apologies for the shameless plug but there's a power FC up for grabs in the for sale section if you're still after one :wink:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159474
ryan

Post by ryan »

Moo wrote:Apologies for the shameless plug but there's a power FC up for grabs in the for sale section if you're still after one :wink:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159474

I was just about to link this for the original poster :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Cheers :thumleft:
mr2madben

g4 link

Post by mr2madben »

i have a g4 link and it controls boost! no need for boost a controler :-) it the nuts! well worth a look!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RyanRs wrote:Link is practically plug and play nowadays too, £80 for a loom adapter and good tuners like Ryan.G etc will have the car running in no time. Took Ryan 10 min to wire in my link and get the car running good enough to drive it in to the dyno for mapping, 45 min later and i was driving home with just under 380fwhp! End of the day, AFAIK the self tune on the PFC is not designed to be used as a permanent tune, but as a starting point so the car can be driven to the rolling road to be tuned properly; if you had a Link and an adapter then whats the difference in just driving to the rolling road on the stock ecu and plugging the Link in when you get there!

Having to buy an adapter AND have someone wire it in doesn't sound like plug and play to me.

No one can drive to the dyno on stock ecu if they got larger than stock injectors which is what most have when going for a standalone ecu.
Not unless they want to swap injectors at the dyno as well.
I've driven on base map with stock and larger injectors to the mappers without any problems :-). Plug and play.

Bazinga!!

That's not to say powerFC isn't old tech, but still does plenty of cars very well.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Thats why i said 'practically' plug and play. Im pretty sure Ryan could email over a map that would get you to the dyno. most will have an AFR wideband sensor so a quick glance at that would tell whether your cruise is dangerously rich or not! then its prob just going to be a case of taking a ms or 2 off the injector PW.. there is usually may ways around it!

Going by experience of my G3 XLEM Plus, compared to other peoples experience of PFCs, the G3 runs circles around it! and at the end of the day, the better the ECU is, the better the mapper can map it and the safer your engine will be!

Oh, btw... the G3 / G4 has an 'autotune' feature.. i have not used it but iirc its the same as the PFC's auto tune....!

Return to “Modifications”