Ugghhh - Using oil

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

excalibur1814

Ugghhh - Using oil

Post by excalibur1814 »

Well... It looks like I didn't get to the pre-cats before some of the usual Mk3 things happened to the engine and thus it's using oil. (Originally the pre-cats were removed at 36k and it's now on 56k)

So...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MR ... 519d396aef

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSI ... 19cddf8161

Not bad at all but ideally I'd prefer to keep the engine and if I had the cash I'd jump all over the 2zz. It's a shame as it's not skipped a beat and is the best car I've ever owned. I'm not going to sell as it wouldn't be right.

Options:
- Keep feeding it oil
- Another engine recon fitted etc
- Get the current engine fixed
- Drive it into a lake

I'm not willing to throw a load of cash at the car as I did that before and have regretted that!

£1500 max but £900 would be ace. What would YOU do?
excalibur1814

yay

Post by excalibur1814 »

This would be great as it's down the road
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA ... 4ce63b5be3
robbie

Engine

Post by robbie »

There is a guy on mr2roc selling engine and 6 speed box

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37028

Hope this helps
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Thanks for the pointer there but that's £1400 and then I'd need to get someone to fit. Not viable for me :(
Rogue

Re: Ugghhh - Using oil

Post by Rogue »

The pre-cat issue is effect, not cause.

The failure in the 1ZZFE engines is down to the piston / oil control ring design. This leads to an ovaling of the bores which in turn causes the high oil consumption and subsequent failure. The oil going through the pre-cats causes them to break down so if they're not replaced post engine failure they will cause the new engine to fail as cat material is sucked back into the cylinder and scores the bores.

You therefore need to do one of two things - either buy a post revision engine (like the one advertised above) or part exchange your short block with Toyota for a new one. Because they are aware of the fault they have a really good price on this - just short of £700+vat for new block, piston, conrods and crank pre-assembled. The downside is that you have a much larger labour bill to swap over the head and ancillaries and to run in the new engine.

The guy on ROC says he'll split the engine and gearbox - I'd find out how much for just the engine...
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

i would look at the new short block as pistons were revised in 2003 but the block was also revised in 2005 so making the 2005 engine the best. so getting a new short block will give you the best engine. the other thing you can do is give mattperformance on mr2roc a pm as he does engine rebuilds.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Thanks Rogue. I'd prefer to stay away from Toyota where possible (Llandudno branch especially) as they seem to lick their lips when customers drive in and £££ signs appear.

I emailed the guy in Manchester and he replied, 'We always rebore the block and inc new over sized pistons, therefore no more high oil consumption problems'. They will also fit a Fidanza flywheel with no extra cost.

As much as I'd like to go for the low mileage engine I'd have to then collect, get to the new garage, pay for fitting, worry that the engine might not perform as it should, spend more cash and the story goes on and on.

I'm sure that nothing is certain with any new engine.
excalibur1814

Post by excalibur1814 »

rbuckingham wrote:i would look at the new short block as pistons were revised in 2003 but the block was also revised in 2005 so making the 2005 engine the best. so getting a new short block will give you the best engine. the other thing you can do is give mattperformance on mr2roc a pm as he does engine rebuilds.

Thanks rbuckingham. Engine re-builds scare the CRAP out of me due to my last car :( but the new 2005 engine does sound very tempting!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

A friend did as Patrick says above with the new short block, it was a very good deal. He got the whole lot done and dusted for about £1500 for a virtually new engine.

Do for heavens sake google engine for sale people, there are some real sharks out there.
excalibur1814

yay

Post by excalibur1814 »

Ok I'll go for the short block option. I'll nip to Toyota on Thursday to get a price and then it's onto finding a garage that will do the job.

Thanks all. Will reply with what Toyota state
Rogue

Re: yay

Post by Rogue »

excalibur1814 wrote:Ok I'll go for the short block option. I'll nip to Toyota on Thursday to get a price and then it's onto finding a garage that will do the job.

Thanks all. Will reply with what Toyota state

Damian, I'll get you the specific part number that you need to get the cheaper exchange short block. There'll be a surcharge (£300 or £350 iirc) but you'll get that back when you take your old engine back.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Thank you very much!!

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index ... &Itemid=71

?

PM if you're interested in fitting? With a price and thoughts if you like
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Rogue did the same on my current race car, it's withstood quite a lot in the last two years. :mrgreen:
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

:) My fast car racing days are over and it's just driving to work and twistys on the way home. Ohh how I miss the Turbo :(

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”