worrying puddle?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

worrying puddle?

Post by timmomr2 »

i have a mk 2 turbo, it's been off the road for about 9 months and ive just been cleaning it out. the passenger side carpet is really damp and when i lifted the cubby box up there was a fair sized puddle underneath it.

i dried out the puddle and checked around for where the water could be coming from. the sides of the carpet aren't wet. i did notice a drip from the interior lights the other day so i removed them and checked the seal but everything was bone dry and fine.

it took about 2 mins for a puddle to start forming again which i am convinced is just running out of the carpet. the sides of the carpet are dry and there is no sign of any leaks etc. could this much damp be caused by condensation over the period that the car has been left stood?

any advice as to what i should do. nothing looks like it is rusting an i never had this issue while the car was on the road. i have had extensive amounts of body work done to my car so don't want things rusting. the only possible suspect is the door grommet for the wiring had a slight gap in it and maybe water has been trickling down and in that way and has mounted up over time.

it doesn't seem to have caused any damage or rust so im hoping the car will dry out when i put it on the road and if there are any leaks i should discover them then

cheers timmo
wlsmith

Re: worrying puddle?

Post by wlsmith »

heater matrix issue?
craig

Post by craig »

Is the car a t-bar?
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

sorry no it's a tin top. possibly could be a burst pipe or something maybe but i couldnt see where any water had trickled down when i pulled the carpet back
craig

Post by craig »

You need to lift the carpet back where the puddle is, get inside the car and have someone soak the car to see if water is coming in from somewhere first. :thumleft:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

ye i wasd thinking of getting someone in it while i jetwash the car. the pressure should show up any tiny leaks easier. ill give it a go when the car is on the road during the week
craig

Post by craig »

:thumleft:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I would say your rear quarter glass seal is leaking ;)
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

theres no sign of any dripping water though, plus the top of the cubby box is dry. i think the waters coming from the front somewhere because it looks like the water is just running down to the back of the car. ill figure it out on Wednesday hopefully.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RedMR² wrote:You need to lift the carpet back where the puddle is, get inside the car and have someone soak the car to see if water is coming in from somewhere first. :thumleft:

Sounds a familiar scenario... :-k
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
RedMR² wrote:You need to lift the carpet back where the puddle is, get inside the car and have someone soak the car to see if water is coming in from somewhere first. :thumleft:

Sounds a familiar scenario... :-k

It should do, it was only a couple of weeks ago :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”