Sandwich plates & oil questions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Sandwich plates & oil questions

Post by Draven »

Hi folks

I want to get some gauges.. as far as i'm aware the best ones to get are Oil Pressure and Oil Temp..

Now i guess i'll need some sort of sandwich plate in order to fit these. I'm just about to change the oil in my car but don't have the gauges yet..

Can I get a sandwich plate and then fit the sensors later without changing the oil or will I have to do an oil change again when I get the gauges.

Also which is the best sandwich plate to get?

Cheers
Marf

Re: Sandwich plates & oil questions

Post by Marf »

Best advice is not to use a sandwich plate.

Find the stock oil pressure sender which I believe comes off the head, and tee your gauges pressure sender onto that.

For the temp sensor tap the sump plug

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=s ... emp+sensor
Draven

Post by Draven »

exactly what I needed to know.. what about water temp..? how would I go about getting that..

and which size is the MR2 sump plug..
Marf

Post by Marf »

Water temp, not sure where best to tap that(arguably the water outlet from the head) but basically you need one of these in the relevant pipe size.

http://autobahn88-uk.com/shop/9175-8684 ... daptor.jpg

Not sure on the sump plug thread either, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ah thanks for the info.. I'll probably just collect all the bits then install the gauges next time I do an oil change.. :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Cool beans :)

I'd like to fit one of these at some point

I had one in my Charade Turbo, but since then the yen has doubled in value they're now well over £500 :|
Draven

Post by Draven »

yes they are lush.. do you know if they come with all the sensors. i've found that one for £300.. the gauges I was looking at are £70 each so that'd come to £280 anyway.. :?
Marf

Post by Marf »

300 is pretty good, that's about what I paid years back. Yep new they come with all the sensors and I'm told by someone who has one in an MR2 that the supplied sensor loom is plenty long enough. If not you can buy extenders.

Personally I'd go with the defi unit. Looks very OEM once installed.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Marf wrote:300 is pretty good, that's about what I paid years back. Yep new they come with all the sensors and I'm told by someone who has one in an MR2 that the supplied sensor loom is plenty long enough. If not you can buy extenders.

Personally I'd go with the defi unit. Looks very OEM once installed.

Yes i'm thinking of doing that.. :mrgreen: will add it to the shopping list. It does look very nice
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Why do you want to fit a tape deck to your car?! :clown:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Draven

Post by Draven »

Century Motorsport wrote:Why do you want to fit a tape deck to your car?! :clown:

what can i say.. I like retro.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

if you decide to fit a sandwich plate, its not really that hard, you only lose what oil is in the filter plus maybe a little bit more. and you can top up afterwards, either that or wait till next oil change..

if u choose not to use sandwich plate, then oil pressure can be taken of the head where the original oil pressure sensor goes,
oil temp can be had from sump,
and water temp, well if u look below the inlet manifold on back of the block there is a coolant drain plug, you can replace that with a sensor adapter/nut and take coolant temp from there, thats what i did on mine
Marf

Post by Marf »

Cassette retro? Pff I'm rocking an 8-trak in my car :p
Draven

Post by Draven »

Marf wrote:Cassette retro? Pff I'm rocking an 8-trak in my car :p

:mrgreen: I'm so retro i have a Vinyl deck in mine.. :wink:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Use a braided line for the pressure outlet..or it'll vibrate and crack off...spraying oil all over your collection of Roger Whittaker tapes.
Draven

Post by Draven »

djpkins wrote:Use a braided line for the pressure outlet..or it'll vibrate and crack off...spraying oil all over your collection of Roger Whittaker tapes.

Will do.. I keep my Roger Whittaker tapes next to my Bay city rollers tapes.. can't damage them..
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I'd use a sandwich plate if I were to do it again. Puts both sensors in the same place so easier for wiring and you wont have to remove the temp sensor for an oil change. A sump plug oil temp sender is not going to give the best indication of oil temp as its just sump temperature.

I split the pressure sender with a T peice and now have to find somewhere to mount the T peice and oil pressure sender (they are quite large). I would not have had this problem with a sandwich plate.

You can fit the sandwich plate now and blank off the outlets so fitting the guages later is not an issue.

You can use the standard water temp sensor location and loose the dash guage. Alternativly there is a bung on the thermostat housing that is the same thread size but the water temp will only be accurate when the stat is open (you could connect the dash guage here and have the good guage in the better location). Lastly there is a spare boss on the water housing on the flywheel end of the block, this has the 2 ECU sensors in and the standard dash sensor but has 1 more area designed for a sensor but not drilled through. You'd have to remove it to get it drilled and tapped.

Love that DEFI guage set. I bought the carbon guage adapter off ebey that lets you fit 3 52mm guages but it still wont let me get the raio surround on properly.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I have Defi oil pressure/temperature gauges fitted to a Greddy sandwich plate. No problems in several years use.

One observation - the spacing of the sandwich plate causes the oil filter to touch the standard undertray (if you continue to use the bigger 3SGTE filters). This causes no problems but may bother some people.
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

djpkins wrote:Use a braided line for the pressure outlet..or it'll vibrate and crack off...

+1
Site updated 14/04/2012

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”