Cheap little interior mod!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

xanthus400

Re: Cheap little interior mod!

Post by xanthus400 »

ryan

Post by ryan »

xanthus400 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 020493.jpg

Thats the idea, but I think your pic doesnt do it justice, when I did this mod it looked very good indeed, the MR2 glowed a subtle green and the fit was bang on
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Nice work Peter. My last interior mod was a new i-pod player and cubby... I then felt lined the cubby, centre box and glove compartment. It's the little things that please.
It's looking good fella though I would have kept the orange fronts now you've done the calipers. :thumleft:

R.
craig

Post by craig »

I dunno, I reckon the rev 5 clears and matching side repeaters really bring it up to date nicely. Looks cleaner too :thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Peter C wrote:Oops, my bad.

I actually used Dulux Metalshield paint.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v214/ ... e/mw16.jpg

that makes more sense :thumleft:
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

RedMR² wrote:I dunno, I reckon the rev 5 clears and matching side repeaters really bring it up to date nicely. Looks cleaner too :thumleft:

I bought the clear repeaters and indicators second hand and they're not particularly good quality. The originals fit soooo much better.

I might smoke the originals and re-fit them. What do you reckon?
craig

Post by craig »

Peter C wrote:
RedMR² wrote:I dunno, I reckon the rev 5 clears and matching side repeaters really bring it up to date nicely. Looks cleaner too :thumleft:

I bought the clear repeaters and indicators second hand and they're not particularly good quality. The originals fit soooo much better.

I might smoke the originals and re-fit them. What do you reckon?

Ah right, are they not the original rev 4/5 lenses? just cheap crystal ones off ebay?

I wouldn't tint them, as it will look tacky and probably fail an MOT.

:thumleft:
xanthus400

Post by xanthus400 »

ryan wrote:
xanthus400 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 020493.jpg

Thats the idea, but I think your pic doesnt do it justice, when I did this mod it looked very good indeed, the MR2 glowed a subtle green and the fit was bang on

its actually better than it looks in the pic. Everything is illuminated blue on the dash with speedhut el glow dials. I want to spray the panel black so it goes with the rest of the dash. Looks good a night :D
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

RedMR² wrote:just cheap crystal ones off ebay?

They're the ones, but bought second hand, very cheap. One of the front corners is crystal, the other is Rev 4/5, all the rest, including the side repeaters are also crystal. They look ok but the originals generally fit better.

I'll leave them as they are for now and see how my mood takes me.
craig

Post by craig »

Just keep an eye out on eBay for a matching rev 4/5 clear front lense :thumleft:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Peter C wrote:
RedMR² wrote:just cheap crystal ones off ebay?

They're the ones, but bought second hand, very cheap. One of the front corners is crystal, the other is Rev 4/5, all the rest, including the side repeaters are also crystal. They look ok but the originals generally fit better.

I'll leave them as they are for now and see how my mood takes me.

The Corolla/Celica mk3 MR2 clear (not crystal) wing indicators are very good quality, and the black seal sits behind the lense unlike the Ebay crystal ones which have an ugly black seal around the edge. They also leak unlike the OEM ones. Try a scrappy/Ebay, they arent 'crystal' but far better quality
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Peter your pics inspired me. Currently the exhaust on my turbo consists of a Berk 3" downpipe into a couple of feet long piece of 3" piping with no mufflers. Its acceptable volume at idle or cruise, but as soon as you even think about some boost :shock:

So I'm going to reuse the stock muffler, mine was like yours, stained and ugly. Wire brushed it to death, white spirits to clean it up, then hung it on the clothes line and painted it. Dried then used Autosol on the tips. Will get my exhaust shop to make me up a 3" stainless centre section.

Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Be warned!

This is how my exhaust turned out within a week of it being re-sprayed.

I suspect that the clear lacquer didn't get on with the exhaust temperature. I propose to allow a bit of time before sanding the box back and re-doing it, without the lacquer.
MR2-4-Life

Post by MR2-4-Life »

love the window strip painting in situ, looks sooo much better!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”