[Mk2] [Turbo] couple of questions about changing the intake hose?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] couple of questions about changing the intake hose?

Post by timmomr2 »

i have a big tear in my turbo intake elbow so i'm looking to replace it. i'd rather buy after market silicone but i'm on a budget this month so need to check a couple of things first.

if i change the hose there are 2 pipes that will be left unattatched, one comes from the canister on top of the rocker cover which i presume can be attached to a catch can or a simple breather filter for now. the other goes to somewhere under the inlet manifold. i don't know what this one is so need to know what to do with it before i get the new hoses? can anyone help me with that.
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] couple of questions about changing the intake hose?

Post by Marf »

First things first, is it just the part that attaches to the turbo that has split?

Take the whole intake pipe off from turbo->filter and you'll see that it breaks down into two 90degree pieces, meaning you can just replace the turbo section and not have any problems.

Mine's split like three times, so in the end I bought this hose

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0454887189

which needs a little trimming down to fit, and two decent hose clamps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-BOLT-STAINL ... 0645335965

Job jobbed for 25 quid :thumleft:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

ye its just the part that connects to the turbo so i could just replace that part of the elbow. i wanted to change the whole lot just so it looked a bit nicer and matched the rest of my engine bay. if its a load of arseing about ill just replace the bottom hose for now.

do you have any idea what hose is for that goes underneath the inlet manifold?

cheers for the info aswell :)
Marf

Post by Marf »

What have you got, a rev1/2 or a Rev3? If it's a rev1/2 then Samco do an intake hose which is a direct replacement for the whole assembly.

If it's a Rev3 then you'll be best off retaining the second elbow and just replacing the first, unless you want to get into making up custom connections for the pipes with a second 90degree bend.

I'm not 100% on what both hoses do, I know one is for the breather.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

its a rev 3. i knowi can put the one coming from the top straight to a catch can and i was hoping i could do something similar with the other one so that i didnt have to have anything going back into the turbo. i know it's nothing to important but don't know what it actually does.

i think for this month ill just get the bottom pipe and then next month ill get a top on e and a catch can. by then i should have found out what the other pipe is for lol.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

The larger hose is the main crankcase breather, the smaller one is the air feed to the Idle Air control valve under throttlebody :thumleft:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

ahhh ok, so how would i go about getting rid of that? i presume it would have to be hooked up then and it can't just be ignored lol.

the hard pipe for my filter actually has a fitment that i've blocked off that i think i could connect that too. i would have to buy a slightly longer hose though i think.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I just replaced mine a few months ago when i got the car. I just bought the replacement from toyota and fitted that.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

cheers for that link. that may be the neatest route to go down when it comes to it. i just ordered a black silicone hose for now ill change the second piece of the inlet after i have got the car back on the road again. ill probably get a catch can and one of those fittings to plum the other hose in nicely. im just hoping everything arrives on time before my MOT lol

Return to “Modifications”