[Mk2] [Generic] good set up for suspention

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bert01909

[Mk2] [Generic] good set up for suspention

Post by bert01909 »

ok so i'm looking at giving the car abit of a upgrade on the supention due to it not really feeling that tight anymore , think i am going to be putting 16 " alloys on so not really wanting it slammed to to floor were its going to wreck the ride and feel , its a rev1 2ltr 16 n/a 8)
J-1

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] good set up for suspention

Post by J-1 »

I wouldn't lower it that much because it'll feel xxxx.

Tein S-tech springs are a good value for money modification - Rogue Motorsport
Polybush kit is also well worth doing - Peter Gidden @ Sbits.

Or, go all out and buy KW Variant3 coilovers. :twisted:
These are on my to do list. 8)
bert01909

Post by bert01909 »

thanks for that had read afew post about putting big wheels and lowering tofar had made things worse , but yeah i think i going to go poly way and look into the price of springs and that :D
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Bert? Best advice I can give is get yourself along to some local meets and get yourself some rides in members cars to experience different set ups for yourself before spending out on new kit.
Personally I wouldn't go above a 15" wheel if you really want it to handle and retain the ability to be an acceptable daily driver.. lowering and firming up spring and damping rates WILL adversely effect the ride. It's enough to put the bigger brakes on underneath later should you want to. If you want to keep the original shocks you can't go too low... they're not designed for it, maybe 25cmm or so. Any lower and I'd advise changing shocks or going for coilovers.
The one thing you do need to check is if you have the rebuildable struts fitted to most of the early cars. If so you can change the damping rates to match new springs by just buying new inserts for them (check Fensport and Rogue websites).
Whilst you're at it and will have everything off consider new topmounts (there'll be more stresses on them now) and if budget allows all the suspension bushes as well ... it'll positively make everything sharper and tighter, steering response, handling etc.
The last thing to consider is slightly thicker ARBs. Later cars versions are up to 2mm thicker and can be had really cheaply from breaking cars. Much bigger positive difference to handling than negative effect on comfort.
Good luck with it, do it only once and get good alignment done afterwards.

R.

PS. Fully details of my set up for my '89 rev1 n/a in my garage. It's a v v firm ride, harsh at v slow speed but it handles and grips beautifully....
bert01909

Post by bert01909 »

wow alot of info to take in , i think i just going to do the lot new drop links and change bushes and anything thats likerly to be worn have to get onto pete for a price on bushes , there lots to do but part of me tempted to sell and get a tbar lol i then tempted to keep the one i got :roll:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Don't get a tbar mate. They leak all the time.
I've had one t-bar and two tin tops and I wouldn't change from a tin top!

:)
bert01909

Post by bert01909 »

lol there just something about the look when the roof out , 8)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

T-bars are brilliant fella and the good ones don't leak...

R.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Ive got a t-bar and absolutely love it. Get the odd drip in heavy rain but not a biggy. I'll get round to fitting new seals one day...

As for suspension, Ive just upgraded to yellow billies (bilstein b6's) and tein s-tech springs with TRD strut braces and TRD anti-roll bars. Absolutely transformed the handling. Very firm ride, so not for the faint hearted but I cant get enough of it! Polybushes are next on the list for me :D

HTH
ashley

Post by ashley »

HighwayStar wrote:get yourself along to some local meets and get yourself some rides in members cars to experience different set ups for yourself before spending out on new kit.

Best piece of advice on this thread :clap: :clap: :clap:
bert01909

Post by bert01909 »

ashman wrote:
HighwayStar wrote:get yourself along to some local meets and get yourself some rides in members cars to experience different set ups for yourself before spending out on new kit.

Best piece of advice on this thread :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anybody do any meet up s near Sheffield :?:
Think it going to be best way to go
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Sure they'll be a few up there getting together regularly. Check events section. :thumleft:
bert01909

Post by bert01909 »

Will have to re check I seen
1 for nottingham but mine nothing speical at moment and its abit of a drive ,

Return to “Modifications”