[Mk2] [Turbo] Advice needed on Donor engine - Shall I Replace Water/Oil pump?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[Mk2] [Turbo] Advice needed on Donor engine - Shall I Replace Water/Oil pump?

Post by Danbob »

Got a decision to make and wouldn't mind some advice.

Background

I've got a non running Mk2 Turbo and a spare engine to drop into it.
(Engine in the car currently is possibly fine but spare engine came from a lower mileage car and is handy to work on out of the car)

The spare engine has already got a brand new cambelt but they didn't change the oil or water pump or cambelt tensioner when they did it. Apart from that the engines history is a little vague other than the fact that it's been sat in a garage for 3-4 years and had 'apparently' been rebuilt only 16,000 miles before the guy I got it off got it. Who knows whether that's true or not though.

Request

So this is a budget build. I got the car and engine for next to nothing and I'm wanting to put it all back together with minimum spend, enjoy the engine for a few years and then possibly swap it out for something else.

As I am currently in a lot of debt and totaly skint I don't really want to shell out over 100 quid for a water and oil pump tensioner etc. and am very tempted just to chuck in the spare engine as it is and save time money and effort in the process!

Can you help me decided whether to do that, or convince me that it really is the best idea to buy all the service parts and fit them now while the engine is out of the car.

Cheers

Dan
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Advice needed on Donor engine - Shall I Replace Water/Oil pump?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

well cambelt is meant to be changed ever 6yrs or 60k which ever is sooner.

If it was me i would change the water pump and cambelt while the engines out as its a nightmare to do them when its fitted.
danielmotegi

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Advice needed on Donor engine - Shall I Replace Water/Oil pump?

Post by danielmotegi »

totally agree the timing belt and water pump should definitely be changed at the least. as these are close to impossible to replace once fitted.
Harold

Post by Harold »

I'd be making sure all the belts had been changed as well as the water pump and cambelt pulleys/tensioners. If you're on a budget I wouldn't worry about the oil pump, it'll probably be fine.
j0ns

Post by j0ns »

I'd do as much as you can afford whilst its out! As said above most things are a pain in the ass to do once in the car!
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

OK sounds like a unaminous decision then!

How often do the water pumps fail on these engines?

if I had to replace anything once the engines fitted I'd probably drop it out of the car anyway rather than try and do it in place

But I'll start saving my pennies and if I've got enough by the time I'm ready to put the engine in I'll buy a new water pump and hydraulic tensioner.

Wheres the best place to buy them Camskill?

Cheers
Dan
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

If the engine is out you might as well do the lot for what it would cost if things were to fail when it's all finished and fitted :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I had a water pump go on my old engine just after the garage had fitted my engine and replaced the cam belt whilst it was out.

Thankfully no damage and they did the work for free as it was an over sight not to replace the pump at the time. I Just paid for the price of the pump.

Given what I know now I would replace the pump and belt at the same time if my engine was out.

I can't say how old the pump was as I had no history of said engine. Which is why I was asking the garage to do cam belts etc whilst the engine was out.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Yeah, I've decided I will replace the Water/Oil pumps, hydraulic tensioner, cambelt and other bits and bobs, may aswell be safe rather than sorry!

Cheers for the advice!

Return to “Mechanical”