Rota Torque alloys with BC coilovers question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

thedeuce

Rota Torque alloys with BC coilovers question

Post by thedeuce »

hey guys and girls, finally joined up after 6 years of mr2 ownership! Yeah its taken awhile! Quick history of mr2 ownership includes UK rev4 t bar in goodwood green then had a v6 fitted to it. Then a rev 1 t bar in blue and finally rev 4 mr2 turbo tin top in super white.

Glad to be back in the fold, i moved back to a hot hatch for 6 months but got bored with the Mazda 3 mps i had. For all its power it just could not get the power down been front wheel drive. Plus it just didn't feel special like my mr2's have done and grew tired of torque steer!

Anyways down to my question.

I Will be pulling my white rev 4 mr2 turbo out the garage next week to get her setup for the road in a few months. I will be moving over to bc coilovers and also want to fit rota torque 17x8 front with 17x9 rears with et35 offset all round. Also would like to lower 30mm all round to complete the look.

Will reuse my current tyres as they are brand new practically they are Toyo T1r 205/45 front with Goodyear eagle f1 rear 225 rear or 235 i cant remember will have to check tomorrow.

I would prefer not to run spacers so my question is, would i have any clearance issues? I know a couple of you run the rota torques all round on stock suspension with et35 and lowering springs and have no problems.

Cant wait to order it all but don't want to get it wrong

Cant wait to put her back on the road!

Thanks for the help in advance guys :D
Quigonjay

Re: Rota Torque alloys with BC coilovers question

Post by Quigonjay »

welcome back, been so many stories of people moving on over the years to what they think are bigger/better things but they always come back, not much as satisfying to drive at this end of the market as the good old 2

ideally you would want 205/40/17 for the front which is same diameter as stock, a 205/45/17 tyre is 20mm taller, might get away with it but i guess you wont know untill you try
what profile is the rear as you dont mention? although there is a lot more room for error at the rear so shouldnt be an issue
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

thanks for the welcome back mate :D

Fronts are 205/40 r17

Rears are 235/40 r17

Your right these cars get in your blood, after 6 months i missed it so bad the Mazda 3 mps just had to go. nice car it was to be honest and bloody quick to just didn't stir the soul like the mister 2 does. Just goes to prove new does not been better

Cant wait to get the coilovers and new alloys on will really smarten the car up nicely :twisted:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Rota Toques front 205 R17 40 8
Rota Toque Drifts rear 225 R17 40 9

Although i don't have the coilovers there is plenty of space under the arches.

:mrgreen:
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

ooohhh really like the look of that! Just ordered bc coilovers today from jap spec performance :D

Will have to speak to rare rims on monday for the rota torque's as although they have rota torque 17x8 fronts it does not say anything about the 17x9 rears being rota torque drifts if that makes any sense :-k

Decided to go for them in gun metal as well, so should look sweet considering the cars super white.

Now got to get rid of the white advan avs alloys in the garage plus my inovit tarmac alloys that are currently on as well lol

May as well open my own alloy wheel shop at this rate!
Navz

Post by Navz »

I am running 18's on mine and have the BC's. No clearence problems whatsoever.

:thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

The drifts have a bigger lip on them.. Just prefer the look.
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

Draven wrote:The drifts have a bigger lip on them.. Just prefer the look.

The rota torque 17x9 rear are all rota torque drifts, they are concave on the back making it look like the spokes are bending in. They look really good imo.

guess what turned up today before i went to work!

all arrived within 5 minutes of each other :D

Had to go to work though so did not get time to check it all. I will post up pics tomorrow of bc coilovers and the alloys. cough the garage is locked ;)
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

Right Finally got some pics of the shiny bits!

The coilovers look good quality :D However i only got rear drop links with the kit? Which is not so great as they get fitted tomorrow :-?

Did anyone else just get rear drop links with their bc coilovers? Anyways if push comes to shove i will have to reuse the old ones and order another set for the fronts. I take it i can use standard ones?

And the rota torque and drifts look sweet! Really loving them, not the best light to show them in though. New nuts, spigot rings, locking wheel nuts as well. Got these for £694 delivered from rare rims. Great guys and would definitely recommend them, so big shout out to ben jordan :thumleft ordered them 1pm afternoon turned up next day 9am so well done :clap:

Phill P

Post by Phill P »

I had 8x17 with 215/40-17 front and 9x17 235/40-17 and then with 245/40-17 both 35 et with Rota torque and torque drifts on.

Had -30 mm Apex springs and with the 235's no rubbing at all but with the 245's they did rub so rolled the arch's a little.

With the 245's the speed was bang with gps up to around 80 mph then it got a little difficult trying to keep and eye on it all.

Wheels look superb,just watch out with the wheel nuts and the sockets you use as mine tended to rub the paint of the wheel as the socket was a little too big really.

Be careful of the kerbs too,215's still left the rim exposed a lttle.

Paul :thumleft:Image
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

cheers for that fella, will them that when it goes to the garage tomorrow to have this lot fitted :D Cost of fitting the coilovers was £150. Didn't think that was to bad to be honest. The whites look lovely on your car there :D
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

bu88er to keep clean :D
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
thedeuce

Post by thedeuce »

i Bet they are :lol:

It also has its mot tomorrow so wish me luck! Had an Auto electrician come out last week to swap the connectors over for the airbag (Have a mk3 roadster steering wheel fitted instead of standard rev 4)

What a nightmare he could not even get the nuts out of the steering wheel to have a look at the airbag connector In the end i to take it off myself. ](*,) Then he says right which wire goes to where as the spiral cable on the car is yellow and blue wires, where as the roadster steering wheel has red and black wires to splice in! ](*,)

Stopped him there as it was obvious he did not have a clue! I now need to find a decent auto elctrician to connect it up so i can get the srs light off!

Luckily its not an mot fail to april this year, so have time to sort it out ](*,)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Phill P wrote:bu88er to keep clean :D

Agreed :pale:

Think when I change my tires i'll be going for 215 / 235

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”