Exhaust idea...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

J-1

Exhaust idea...

Post by J-1 »

I'm interested in creating a side exit exhaust because it's lightweight and no where near the intercooler (going boot-mount intercooler) so intake temps should remain low.
Can anyone see any reason not to do this exhaust route?

My plan is to cut, rotate and weld the bottom of my downpipe so that the take-off is in the right direction.

See this link for the exhaust

http://www.mr2.com/forums/vbpicgallery. ... iew&g=1144

Quite far down the page.
timlowthian

Re: Exhaust idea...

Post by timlowthian »

I can imagine that getting you a lot of attention as it would be stupidly loud i would have thought! If you can live with the noise then i cant see a problem!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Purely a track car now mate.

I was thinking about putting a resonator in the middel to try and tone it down a bit.
craig

Post by craig »

J-1 wrote:I'm interested in creating a side exit exhaust because it's lightweight and no where near the intercooler (going boot-mount intercooler) so intake temps should remain low.
Can anyone see any reason not to do this exhaust route?

My plan is to cut, rotate and weld the bottom of my downpipe so that the take-off is in the right direction.

See this link for the exhaust

http://www.mr2.com/forums/vbpicgallery. ... iew&g=1144

Quite far down the page.

That's a great thread! Enjoyed the read :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Just take it out where the old intercooler fitted with silencer
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

J-1 wrote:Purely a track car now mate.

A track car with a side exit exhaust? you know there are noise restrictions right? Even the quietest of exhausts can struggle and side exit is about as loud as it gets.
Chris

Post by Chris »

If you go side exit, the down pipe goes in the bin. The exhaust has to be took directly off the turbo. With regards to noise, your ears will bleed.

Take a look at the pics of my old set up.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=mapped

This was a 4" straight through, silenced side exit and screamer. other issues are exhaust fumes in the car when in traffic, MOT time was interesting and flames from the side of the car... :twisted:
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

As said it would probably fall foul of the noise regs at many tracks.

Couldn't you insulate the exhaust where it passes under the intercooler?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

dantheman wrote:
J-1 wrote:Purely a track car now mate.

A track car with a side exit exhaust? you know there are noise restrictions right? Even the quietest of exhausts can struggle and side exit is about as loud as it gets.

Wrong.

My son has a side exit and is used for sprints and is well within the MSA limit

Its all down to how its built and what silencer is used
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Bob, what about what is said is wrong? Side exit exhausts being as loud as it gets? I still stand by it. Theres less room for silencers, less exhaust length so theres less attenuation. Just because you have 1 example doesnt disprove anything. You also havent said whether your sons exhaust is restrictive or extremely expensive.

And what is your sons cars actual volume and what is the MSA limit you refer to? If it had to pass a 98dB limit as sometimes the case at trackdays would you be so confident then?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The silencer is 3", no back pressure as straight through and less than 98db at 1.5m at 45 deg angle

As in all things you just have to know what you are doing
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I assume you mean 0.5m away?

Turbo or NA? Decatted aswell?

Cos i run a turbo car with a mongoose which features 2 silencers and more length and that wouldnt beat a 98 limit. Hence the skepticism
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Yes sorry its 0.5 m away from the tip. Yes turbo and no room for a cat. The turbo is a T3/4

I have no idea what a Mongoose system is, we only use and build things that work, we do nothing just for looks and I would think the Mongoose is the type that hangs down and is all polished.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

What silencer is that? Interested in building another? :wink: :lol:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

That type of silencer can be found on ebay or places like merlin motorsport or jjc race and rally.

Come in a variety of shapes, sizes, lengths and diameters with differing pipe sizes.

I'm also planning on doing this and if the noise is too high for track use plan on fitting a y piece which will give me one silencer going hirizontally to the side exit and one going vertically down to the floor (in the front right corner of the engine bay if you were stood beihind the car).

Will help keep the temps down on the rad for the charge cooler which is mounted under the boot floor.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Chris

Post by Chris »

You won't fit 2 silencers in that small gap.

I had to modify all the stat housing just to fit the 4" silencer in there.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

bri0905 wrote:That type of silencer can be found on ebay or places like merlin motorsport or jjc race and rally.

Come in a variety of shapes, sizes, lengths and diameters with differing pipe sizes.

I'm also planning on doing this and if the noise is too high for track use plan on fitting a y piece which will give me one silencer going hirizontally to the side exit and one going vertically down to the floor (in the front right corner of the engine bay if you were stood beihind the car).

Will help keep the temps down on the rad for the charge cooler which is mounted under the boot floor.

We never buy anything from ebay, we have to keep some standards
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Chris wrote:You won't fit 2 silencers in that small gap.

I had to modify all the stat housing just to fit the 4" silencer in there.

Yes have to cut off the stat housing.

My stat will be fitted under the car and will remove the two bypass pipes from the back of the block
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Maybe the space is deceptive when the ic is removed then. Looks like enough space for one going to the side and one going down. I'll take your word for it though having done it already though.

nowt wrong with an ebay special bob, 90% of my car is ebay bought, managed to keep the cost down quite well really.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Bob's a snob :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”