[Mk2] [Turbo] Worth fitting a ct20turbo on my rev 2?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Worth fitting a ct20turbo on my rev 2?

Post by Tsia »

So a Rev 2 rebuilt with a metal HG should be able to take more pressure, I take it? (To a point, obviously.)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Tsia wrote:So a Rev 2 rebuilt with a metal HG should be able to take more pressure, I take it? (To a point, obviously.)

Yep. Internals will be no weaker than a Rev3.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Awesome. I may have a little project in the works at the moment, so I'll bore you all to death with questions about them in the coming days/weeks...

8)
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Do not be too disappointed if your head gasket blows if you turn the boost up.

Rev1 and 2 had fibre head gaskets, and they're 20 years old now, and it is not an uncommon occurence.

Not trying to put you off, but at least now you've been warned.

Good call! Forgot I'd put a rev3 head gasket on as well!!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Ah to hell with it, I may as well start the question train :
Assuming I start with a Rev 2 turbo with the metal HG, exhaust & decat downpipe etc with a HKS F-CON, as far as power goes, what's the best route to take? I'd hazard a guess at a boost controller to up it a little (not that I know what the rev 2 runs at as standard...) but beyond that, I'm lost as this is my first venture into the world of forced induction...

I'm going to owe Peter a pack of biscuits or something for the amount of things he's answered for me so far on here...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

lol cheers for the advice but I've done a few lol
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

The force is just too strong in this one.... :thumleft:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Tsia wrote:what's the best route to take? I'd hazard a guess at a boost controller to up it a little (not that I know what the rev 2 runs at as standard...) but beyond that, I'm lost as this is my first venture into the world of forced induction...

So assuming you have all the basic bolt on mods of intake, exhaust inter/charge cooler then yes you get a boost controller (either manual or electronic) and increase the boost to 16 PSI. This is a significant hurdle. You can reduce the size of this hurdle by converting to the Rev3 setup, ie removing AFM, CT20b, slightly bigger injectors (the biggest problem on rev2). This gets you to 18 PSI and 300-350 BHP. Now you must jump the hurdle. In no specific order of importance:

-Forged Internals
-Aftermarket ECU
-Bigger Turbo
-Bigger Injectors
-Water/Meth Injection
-Longer/Higher Lift Cams

Depending on your choice of the above is whether you are at 350 HP or 550 HP but it will cost you a very similar amount whatever your choice of power past the hurdle.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

IMO before you spend a cent. You have to set a goal. Find someone with a modded mr2 and see if you can get a ride/drive of it.

No point spending $$$$ on mods if all you want is say 260rwhp.

In all honesty, a sw20, even on stock gen2 fuelling maxed out is quicker than 90% of the other cars on the road. You have a sub 5 second 0-60 and 12 second 1/4 mile capable car.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Al-sw20 wrote:stock gen2 fuelling maxed out. . . You have a sub 5 second 0-60 and 12 second 1/4 mile capable car.

Bit of an exaggeration...
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Learn to drive.

I've had two sw20 turbos that run high 12s @ 110mph on stock gen2 fuelling.
Luke820

Post by Luke820 »

When I bought the car he claimed 250bhp I used to own 1 before and this 1 does feel quicker but I can't see it being 250 it's got blitz nur spec blitz air filter updated intercooler. But from what I understand that's all useless without the car being mapped to fuel right with all them things on.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Al-sw20 wrote:Learn to drive.

Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

I would have expected at least a sound reason for your disagreement. With you being a vendor with some experience on the 3sgte in the sw20 chassis. Except I get the rolling eyes.

It is well documented the limits of the stock fuelling on the gen2 3sgte with the stock 440s and pump is around 275rwhp. That is a far bit of wick in a 1250kg car.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'll be taking this little project for a dyno run at some point, as i'm dead curious to know what it'll be pushing. It's got an uprated 255 fuel pump, but I'm not sure that'll make a difference with standard injectors? (Correct me if I'm wrong, still learning!)
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

The fuel pump is a good investment for later on. It won't make anymore power as the fuel rail will see exactly the same pressure as a good condition stock pump (so long as you aren't pushing it past its capacity) :)

I'm converting my car to run on E85 this year. Supra pump, 800cc injectors, Link ecu, ATS bored fuel rail, modified FPR. Looking for 300+rwhp on the ct20b.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I've got a long way to go before I start looking at the 300 mark I think. The list so far, although I haven't finished getting it all sorted yet is:
HKS intake, JP Performance exhaust (Never heard of them) decat downpipe (although this is cracked and needs replacing ASAP. Easy fix, or bit of a bu88er to fit?) metal HG, bolts as well as a HKS F-CON. All the rest is stock Rev 2 turbo bits... either way, it should be a fun little toy once (if) I get it on the road...
Chris

Post by Chris »

Why the obsession with the hks F con? It's poo.

If you are playing the power/boost game, the HG is not the only weak link on the Rev 1/2 or 3. Piston ringlands crack on these engines for fun, I have stripped a good few, and I am sure Peter and Luke have seen this too, running stock boost and ringlands blown.

I don't fully understand what you are looking for power wise, but ECU changes, bigger injectors etc etc is wasted on a stock bottom end. It might last a year, it might last a day. But them ringlands will go sooner or later if boost is raised.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Where did you get this absurd idea of an obsession from? It's just what the engine came with. It'll be totally stock boost initially. I'd like to raise the boost, although I'll need to do my reading into what's safe etc.

Return to “Modifications”