Wind noise from tweeter cover in doors

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Wind noise from tweeter cover in doors

Post by KarlBristol »

Whilst driving along, especially at higher speed or accellerating there is loud wind noise from the tweeter area in the doors.

Is there an easy fix in relation to this?...

Anyone else have this problem?
Zogbee

Re: Wind noise from tweeter cover in doors

Post by Zogbee »

Can't post a link but came across this tutorial, should help you.

Google - "wind noise mr2 speakers"

Click on the first link."The Japanese MR2 FAQ: Part3 - Common problems and cures"

Should be there.
Harold

Post by Harold »

The only way to fix this properly is to replace the door mirror mounts. It's caused by the rubber deteriorating and splitting where in contact with the window. I had this issue on mine and it's a horrible noise, makes motorway driving very tiring and unpleasant. I think it is possible to bodge it on the cheap with some sticky back Velcro, will find the part numbers if you're interested.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Harold wrote:The only way to fix this properly is to replace the door mirror mounts. It's caused by the rubber deteriorating and splitting where in contact with the window. I had this issue on mine and it's a horrible noise, makes motorway driving very tiring and unpleasant. I think it is possible to bodge it on the cheap with some sticky back Velcro, will find the part numbers if you're interested.

If you could find the part numbers or a link that would be a great help thanks :)
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
djminor
Premium Member

Post by djminor »

There are a few holes in the door underneath the tweeters, i assume they are for surplus cables on certain models (eg GT-S).
I filled them over with silicone and the noise disappeared.
Check this link:
http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t ... .html#wind
Harold

Post by Harold »

The door mirror bracket codes are -
67514-17020 - Left
67513-17020 - Right
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Harold wrote:The door mirror bracket codes are -
67514-17020 - Left
67513-17020 - Right

Any idea (ball park) on how much these cost? If like every or replacement part from toyota (expensive) then I'm gonna go the velcro/budget route on mine!

:thumleft:
Harold

Post by Harold »

Racer7 wrote:
Harold wrote:The door mirror bracket codes are -
67514-17020 - Left
67513-17020 - Right

Any idea (ball park) on how much these cost? If like every or replacement part from toyota (expensive) then I'm gonna go the velcro/budget route on mine!

:thumleft:

With VAT I think they are £52.73 each, not especially cheap. But Christ was it worth it to get rid of that bloody horrible noise.
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

Hi Ive just ordered one for the passengers side as the noise is driving me nuts and I tried the foam idea but it just made it worse :-(

The people who have replace this brkt please could you suggest any tips or things to watch out for. Does the door card have to come off?

having tried the foam fix I dealt with the three impossible screws that hold the mirror on.. but just wondering if there is anything else tricky about this job..
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

9000rpm wrote:Hi Ive just ordered one for the passengers side as the noise is driving me nuts and I tried the foam idea but it just made it worse :-(

The people who have replace this brkt please could you suggest any tips or things to watch out for. Does the door card have to come off?

having tried the foam fix I dealt with the three impossible screws that hold the mirror on.. but just wondering if there is anything else tricky about this job..

While we are at it, does anyone have the part numbers for the 3 screws in the mirror?

T
Harold

Post by Harold »

Part number for the screws is - 90149-50051.

And apart from getting the three will-round-just-by-looking-at-them xxxxxx screws out the job is easy. You will need to take the door cards off to access a nut behind it, but apart from that it's easy peasy. Enjoy your peaceful driving.
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

cheers harold, thats great. I was worried there would be more tricky screws like the three that hold the mirror on.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

When I fitted my tweeters in there, I used a lot of silicone in behind to seal all possible gaps ...... and I have no wind noise at all no more :)

The three screws on mines were tight but came out without rounding. Just make sure you use teh correct size screwdriver and you'll have no issues
leary123

Post by leary123 »

i replaced the tweeters with some better ones..thats fixed the problem :D:D:D
mr2_tubby

Post by mr2_tubby »

sweet
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

I eventually picked up the new part at Toyota. It had been there for ages despit me going in twice to see where it was but they had it under the wrong name! Do that many people really order that part to not figure what had happened! booked a test drive in a GT86 so not a waist of time!

Got it switch over at the weekend and its now pure silence! well worth the money and now dont have to have the radio on flat out to drown it out! I drive to work with the radio off just to hear no noise now :-)

well worth doing if you cant stop the irritating noise!
Harold

Post by Harold »

Glad that its all fixed now, i did the same when i did mine, just drove around and enjoyed not hearing the horrible wind noise.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”