Was burning a lot of oil from knackered turbo. Do I need to replace O2 sensor?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

Was burning a lot of oil from knackered turbo. Do I need to replace O2 sensor?

Post by archangel »

Hi peeps,

So a little while ago our turbo went and we were burning a lot of oil until we could get the turbo rebuilt. That's been done and the car has been dyno'd and is running massively rich. Do you think that the burnt oil could have messed up the lambda sensor (wasn't replaced very long before the turbo went) affecting its readings and causing it to overfuel? I know the rev3 turbo runs rich anyway, but we suspect it's choking it at the moment under high boost.
djpkins

Re: Was burning a lot of oil from knackered turbo. Do I need to replace O2 sensor?

Post by djpkins »

whip it off and soak it in some whit spirit...if it's got "cooked on" oil it's gonna be just as much of a btch to clean of as it is on a downpipe etc.
bobhatton

Re: Was burning a lot of oil from knackered turbo. Do I need to replace O2 sensor?

Post by bobhatton »

The o2 sensor only works at very low speed and throttle opening. Under load its the ecu that controls the fuel
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
archangel

Post by archangel »

bobhatton wrote:The o2 sensor only works at very low speed and throttle opening. Under load its the ecu that controls the fuel

Oh. Thanks for that. Didn't realise that.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Sorry to drag this up again :P

I have the sensor off at the moment and I've got it soaking in a mix of acetone and model fuel. About how long would you guys expect to soak the sensor for? I'd rather not leave it off any longer than I need to but also don't want to be too 'eager beaver'. If anyone could give me a rough idea that'd be fab :)

Cheers.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Not sure that is going to do it much good, would be best to use a new one or good used one
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Cheers for the reply Bob :) About how much am I looking at for a new one?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

£50 for a generic (mixed opimions on these...works fine for me)
£100+ for the OEM...which lets face it...are bulletproof.

I have heard some people running without them??? IMO...if it doesn't work propperly when you step on it, and on tickover .... it really needs to be done...lol..thats most of driving, cruising is a small part of my daily blast anyhoo.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

In honesty I don't know for sure whether it's working properly or not. It pulls well but on the dyno printouts it says the fueling is off the scale (possibly why we're about 30-40bhp down on the estimated figure). I put it back together last night and took it for a short run. Feels no less powerful but as I don't know what I'm looking for, it's hard to say what the score is and whether the sensor in question is the culprit. Fun :oldtongue:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

which revision are you? poss got a leaking 5th inj if rev1/2 , shonky coldstart switch can cause overfueling aswell.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

It's a Revision 3 Turbo :) Starts up fine and seems to run well enough but the tester said we're overfuelling by a lot which is possibly killing off the power.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/bosch/ ... item=mr2k4

check this site out, give 'em a ring nd see what they say...I know how hard it is to shift the burnt oil on my exhaust, so the inside of a lambda, which is heated to boot...hmmm...reckon you should try and ponce one for a couple of pulls, see if there is a difference...on a warmed up engine of course.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Yeah good idea, if I can find one to ponce for a test run I'll definitely give it a shot. At least then I don't have to go spending over £100 to find out there were no problems with the original one :P
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

You can pick up genuine Denso lambdas here for the cost of the generic ones. Got my Rev3 a new one from here for £56.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Kinsy wrote:http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

You can pick up genuine Denso lambdas here for the cost of the generic ones. Got my Rev3 a new one from here for £56.

They dont list one for a turbo mr2 tho

They have this which is for an ST205
http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/prici ... T=DOX-0217

Or part number DOX-0208 which is for an NA

Would the 205 one work?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Woot! We found the problem which has been plaguing us with overfuelling, flat spots, etc. and she is running sweeeeet now. Pulls so much harder throughout the rev band. So while playing with adjusting timing between 8-11 degrees btdc we got an error code 52 on high load. To cut a long story short our knock sensor had finally degraded to a stage where it was actually reporting signal error to the ecu. It must have been deteriorating over time and misreporting knock to the ecu causing the ecu to retard the timing and run rich as its safety precaution (which would explain why the performance was so erratic sometimes and always feeling a bit on the flat side). Now that it's reading correctly it is running as it should do and the change is phenominal

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”