JP Exhausts

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IanParkhouse

Re: JP Exhausts

Post by IanParkhouse »

Neil_turbo wrote:Guess you don't mean mapping then to JP?

I had to have a run in map put on mine, then take it to JP for exhaust whilst I was running in, then back for a full map, meant a lot of travelling (which actually helped run in) but had to get it in the right order!

Not mapping just dyno to see if a new manifold and exhaust opens up any more power :D

Mr Woods made me a cut a shut manifold to get the car up and running but I'm sure it'll benefit from a custom job.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... -Mk1-build

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

That manifold doesn't look amazingly clever, am guessing the headers are so short because they meet up with the stock downpipe?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Makes sense :-)

Always good to know a before and after!
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Lauren wrote:That manifold doesn't look amazingly clever, am guessing the headers are so short because they meet up with the stock downpipe?

I asked Paul to make sure it didn't break as Mark had some issues with a stainless manifold. Space is restricted because the exhaust manifold sits against the boot fire wall. I.e opposite to a 4-age.

Mr Woods manifold was never going to be clever when you consider the price he asks for a conversion but it's done some miles now without issue. I'm hoping that JP can take a bit more time (and lots more money) and sort me out a few more ponies
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Let me know when you get booked in (JP only up the road from me!), would love to see the 2zz in a mk1!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PERCULIS wrote:
I asked Paul to make sure it didn't break as Mark had some issues with a stainless manifold. Space is restricted because the exhaust manifold sits against the boot fire wall. I.e opposite to a 4-age.

Mr Woods manifold was never going to be clever when you consider the price he asks for a conversion but it's done some miles now without issue. I'm hoping that JP can take a bit more time (and lots more money) and sort me out a few more ponies

Ah, fair enough.

Just to give you a bit more hope with JP. Back in 2003 when I was doing the K20A conversions on Elises with BLinkmotorsport, JP were the only ones who could make manifolds that didn't crack. The cracking issue was for the same reason as with yours as with the K20A it meant that the exhaust side was on the rear of the engine ie on the rear bulkhead.

Let me know when you are at JP's as I would love to pop over if I can. :+:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

This isn't on a 4A-GE of course but its really magnificent Neil :thumleft:

Wondering if something similar would be OK for me

Peter
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Sounds like a Mk1 meet at JP's

It'll be late April or May
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

That's cool. :+:

We could do a run up the Cat & Fiddle, have something to eat in the pub at the top whilst your car is being sorted. :+:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

im game. will probably be skint so new exhaust for me.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
stenky

Post by stenky »

elbon50 wrote:This isn't on a 4A-GE of course but its really magnificent Neil :thumleft:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... ust1-2.jpg

Peter
i confess that i have this picture saved on my computer for some time. i love the design and i hop i will get similiar one designed for 4AGE, but made locally probably.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

stenky wrote:
elbon50 wrote:This isn't on a 4A-GE of course but its really magnificent Neil :thumleft:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... ust1-2.jpg

Peter
i confess that i have this picture saved on my computer for some time. i love the design and i hop i will get similiar one designed for 4AGE, but made locally probably.

Shall be asking JP Exhausts if a similar design will be suitable for my 4A-GE Stenky

Will let you know what they say :thumleft:

Peter
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Lauren wrote:That manifold doesn't look amazingly clever, am guessing the headers are so short because they meet up with the stock downpipe?

There is no "off the shelf" Mk1 2zz manifold that actually works, everything we have tried before from proper exhaust companies has broken, so i made a no bull$h1t manifold that does the job and won't break.

It has to be that design to clear the rear boot wall, a 2zz engine has the exhaust on the opposite side to a 4a-ge.

I really didn't care what it looks like as long as it didn't break like the more expensive shiney ones out there.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Looks good to me. Even a 'clever' manifold from a custom exhaust fabricator is unlikely to have tuned length and equal volume primaries with any kind of science involved.

I'd go for function over form any day. The manifold on the rally car looks like a right dog but I really can't argue with the power figures or reliability, surely that's what matters.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Blimey! I wasn't having a go at Paul, as I didn't even realise it was his work when I commented!

I only commented because the downpipes looked so short. It looked almost like a turbo manifold IYSWIM where flow is fairly irrelevant.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I didn't take it as a go at me Lauren, just explaining why a 2zz Mk1 manifold has to be that shape.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”