[Mk2] [Turbo] Polyurethane engine mounts.. where to purchase?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] Polyurethane engine mounts.. where to purchase?

Post by RyanRs »

I need to upgrade the engine mounts, not too sure what ones i need etc etc. the front and rears are the priority as im getting quite a bit of movememnt. Can the sides be changed also?

where is the best place to purchase them from? A link straight to the product would be amazing :D

Rev3 turbo btw

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Polyurethane engine mounts.. where to purchase?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Front and rear torque mounts are the ones you uprate.

These are the ones i keep in stock:

http://speed-source.net/?wpsc-product=t ... ine-mounts

£88 inc. delivery.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Ok cheers, however that seems a little pricey :-k

I see these on ebay, which are less than half the price
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERFLEX-FRO ... 483b7b26c5

There powerflex which i believe are quite a popular company for polyurethane products?! Has anyone used these?

Peter, what advantage would i have by spending the extra and getting speedsource ones?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

RyanRs wrote:Ok cheers, however that seems a little pricey

I presume you mean compared to others on the market, as opposed to my profit!

£88 less the VAT = £73.33

Courier and jiffy bag = £9.

That leaves £63.33.

$90 purchase price is £57, leaving £6.33. Shipping from the USA and import duty have to come out of that...

Rogue choose SpeedSource engine mounts for their race cars as well as Simon Hicks, Greeny etc.

As for which to choose? Your choice.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

2nd that...thats what I've got...I would deffo cure any rattles before fitting though...they deffo do what they say :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

yea pete, thats what i meant by it, just compared to others on the market. i appreciate what you are saying about the costs of importing etc as i have done my fair share of importing parts myself! :/

djpkins -what do you have? speedsource or powerflex?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the speed source also says 4 bushings where as the powerflex one only says 2, so half the stuff and half the price ;) ...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Marf

Post by Marf »

Do you need to drop the subframe to fit the rearward one?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I believe mine are Speedsource...they're red anyways...powerflex are purple or yellow aren't they, I didn't buy them, but I think they may have come through Rogue
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

I just filled mine standard engine mounts with sikaflex works very well :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

powerflex are 4 lots of 1/2 a bush, so exactly same as the speed source ones.

powerflex also have 3 holes i think drilled in so its not a near solid bush like the speedsource.

if going powerflex (i did), measure your mounts before buying, just to be sure.

and nope no removing of the subframe

just requires burning out the old bushs....

for good measure i also use a torque bar which i have it say is awsome.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Great, thanks Jim.

Where'd you get your torque bar?

Oh how did you get on fitting the roller bearing shifter bushing from Tim?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

torque bar got from i think ja99a on here. think thats his name, he made about a dozen custom torque bars, not sure he sells them anymore.
yeh, bushings went on good, helped along with the lightweight shockproof gear oil. (gear oil made most of the difference tho).

i also made an extra support bracket from torque bar to block, and support for the downpipe.
:eye:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Cool, Jim did you notice much difference when you fitted the engine bushes? are they still working well?

Nick, i did the same with the sealant in the mounts but tbh they dont seem to be lasting, i think the sikaflex is softening up gradually or the mounts are failing as the engine movement is gradually getting worse.

I think i might have to get a torque bar too, been considering it for awhile now, especially being as i hope to break 500 lbft torque soon ;P

Jim, What is the gear oil you have got? and what diff are you running? I need to change the oil in my gearbox as it boiled a bit at the last mapping session and i lost some from the overflow. Im finding its a bit of a xxxxxx selecting first whilst cold now, however i know this is partially down to my clutch needing adjusting or bleeding as i do feel some 'drive' whilst trying to get first when the clutch is pressed...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Bushes made a difference, easier to bang the gears as didn't feel like engine was moving back and forth as much.
Torque bar is night and day difference even to poly bushes. It's recommended to still uprate bushes even with a torque bar.
I've prob had bushes on 2.5+years and the torque bar around 2 years at a guess, both still going great.
However good idea to fit additional braces to the torque bar to help spread the load a little better, and tie everything up incase bar comes loose, have heard a few horror stories, but ive had no issues at all touch wood.

For reference I fit 83.5mm TRD sized poly bushes in my mounts, not sure if rev5 mounts were bigger than normal revs but TRD sized ones that power flex do fit in great. Bit of a job burning old bush out and cutting the metal oring out tho, I prob didn't have right tools in the end but got there eventually.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Another, more economical alternative is to do them yourself....sure they won't be a pretty colour, but they work & last and cost next to nothing....extract from when I did them on my track car:

ashman wrote:I thought I'd take the opportunity to beef up the engine mounts a bit- the inner rubber on the front mount (bolts to the gearbox) has completely come away from the frame. I was going to buy poly bushes, but found a thread on here (Ben Edwards) about DIY mounts...

So I created a frame for the mount to hold the centre pin in place once all the rubber was removed, then cut away all the rubber for replacement.

One clean engine mount:

Bolted into the frame so I know the centre is in the correct place:

I joined RS as a company, and managed to get hold of this stuff:

And have just poured it in like this:

Should be fully dry in 72 hours...
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Thats pukka ashman... :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ashman wrote:Another, more economical alternative is to do them yourself....sure they won't be a pretty colour, but they work & last and cost next to nothing....extract from when I did them on my track car:

ashman wrote:I thought I'd take the opportunity to beef up the engine mounts a bit- the inner rubber on the front mount (bolts to the gearbox) has completely come away from the frame. I was going to buy poly bushes, but found a thread on here (Ben Edwards) about DIY mounts...

So I created a frame for the mount to hold the centre pin in place once all the rubber was removed, then cut away all the rubber for replacement.

One clean engine mount:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r420 ... mount1.jpg

Bolted into the frame so I know the centre is in the correct place:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r420 ... unt2-1.jpg

I joined RS as a company, and managed to get hold of this stuff:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r420 ... mount4.jpg

And have just poured it in like this:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r420 ... mount2.jpg

Should be fully dry in 72 hours...

awsome
but seems like alot of work as apposed to £40 for both front/rear...
ashley

Post by ashley »

£88 vs £8, the only extra work was making a bracket (which I enjoyed), and mixing/ pouring the plastic...you have to strip the old rubber bushes out to fit the bushes you buy anyway

Bargain in my book :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ashman wrote:£88 vs £8, the only extra work was making a bracket (which I enjoyed), and mixing/ pouring the plastic...you have to strip the old rubber bushes out to fit the bushes you buy anyway

Bargain in my book :lol:

powerflex £40

Return to “Modifications”