[Mk2] [Generic] Different Wheels

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev1Richie

[Mk2] [Generic] Different Wheels

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi, I had on my MR2 the std 15" wheels 205/50/15 all round, i got some 6 spoke 16" Lexus IS 200 alloys 205/55/16, Thought they would fit okay as i fit the 17" versions (5 spoke) on my previous Rev1 some 3-4 years ago. Well i was 50% okay, the rear wheels fit but the front ones sat right under the Suspension plate whereas the 15" ones had a 3/4" Gap.

Now i had to change the rears tonight so i decided to fit the 16" ones on the rear and put the 15" ones back on the front. Apart from not looking a matching set, is there anything wrong with what i've done. Took it out for a drive and it seemed okay.

So comments anyone?

Thx

Rich
KarlBristol

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Different Wheels

Post by KarlBristol »

Mine had 17s on when I got it, and I've replaced with 16s without any problem, rubbing, or clearance issues. So its not anything you've done.

Is your suspension standard? It wouldn't suprise me if the previous owner put a set of drop coil springs on with a 40mm drop, thus not allowing the same clearance for bigger wheels.

If you have a look at my current car thread below, you will see what my car was like with 17s and now 16s and what my clearance is like.... Should give you an idea as to the difference with yours.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 2b8cb295c9
p5ycho

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Different Wheels

Post by p5ycho »

as above, either the fronts prings have been lowered or the front shocks are gone and car is sitting lower at the from.
take a front wheel of, and measure the shock from top to bottom,
then measure a rear shock and see if there is any difference

Return to “Mechanical”