[Mk2] [Generic] Which engine would it have?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CJ

[Mk2] [Generic] Which engine would it have?

Post by CJ »

Hello folks - a very green newby here.

I am looking to buy a 1997 MR2 GT 16V but I am unsure of the engine it has and / or the model. It was first registered in August 1997 and is a UK car but I am led to believe it could have either the 3SGE or the 3SFE.

Other than asking the seller, is there anyway of finding out which it might be?

If the above is a particularly stupid question then please excuse my ignorance and be gentle with me. My only excuse is that I am much more up to speed with the MKIV Supra than I am the Mr2. :D
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Which engine would it have?

Post by Peter Gidden »

If it is a GTi (UK) or G-Ltd (import) will have the 3S-GE. The GT was a turbo, and therefore has the 3S-GTE.

The 3S-FE was used only in a limited number of early UK cars.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If it is a GTi (UK) or G-Ltd (import) will have the 3S-GE. The GT was a turbo, and therefore has the 3S-GTE.

The 3S-FE was used only in a limited number of early UK cars.

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

Now all I have to do is agree a deal to buy it :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

CJ wrote:I am looking to buy a 1997 MR2 GT 16V but I am unsure of the engine it has and / or the model. It was first registered in August 1997 and is a UK car but I am led to believe it could have either the 3SGE or the 3SFE.

Sorry to rain on your parade mate but if it's a UK car then it won't be a turbo (3SGTE), 1997 will make it a later gen (rev3+) 3SGE :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

ashman wrote:
CJ wrote:I am looking to buy a 1997 MR2 GT 16V but I am unsure of the engine it has and / or the model. It was first registered in August 1997 and is a UK car but I am led to believe it could have either the 3SGE or the 3SFE.

Sorry to rain on your parade mate ...

That's a bit fierce! The OP is a new member, asking a sensible question about N/A engines
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

I feel sorry for the poor blokes that buy MR2s with the 3SFE and then find out about the 3SGE and GTE variants!!!

Josh
ashley

Post by ashley »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
ashman wrote:

Sorry to rain on your parade mate ...

That's a bit fierce! The OP is a new member, asking a sensible question about N/A engines

Sorry!! Wasn't intended to be fierce at all, was obviously still waking up-- many apologies :oops:

Agreed- very sensible question, was really just concerned the OP didn't agree to buy a car thinking it was a turbo only to find it was an NA...
craig

Post by craig »

SwissHeavy wrote:I feel sorry for the poor blokes that buy MR2s with the 3SFE and then find out about the 3SGE and GTE variants!!!

Josh

I did that, bought my first MK2 in 2002, and it was a 3SFE. I was pretty gutted when I started to learn about MR2s and found that my (then) MR2 had a whole 119bhp, and 0-60 in 9.3s! #-o

At the time I bought my first MK2, I knew not of the turbo version, and thought that they all had 158bhp :mrgreen:
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Best way to learn is to make mistakes :D
craig

Post by craig »

SwissHeavy wrote:Best way to learn is to make mistakes :D

Suppose, would have cost less if I'd have looked on here before buying LOL #-o :lol:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I think too many people give the 3sfe a hard time.

I love my 3sfe and wouldn't change it for any other engine, especially a turbo. I can understand the appeal but the 3sfe is a reliable and proven engine. Also its cheaper to insure, tax, and run. Not to mention that they're also a lot rarer now :) - they will continue to get rarer as not many were produced with the 3sfe and lots have now died or been converted.

Horses for courses I suppose

I'm not too worried about speed or horsepower as my daily driver is a speed machine (3 ltr merc). So for me, the MR2 comes out for shows, country drives, and to be worked on.

My advice would be to go for a well cared and maintained car regardless of engine. If your that worried about having a tubby you can always do a conversion (I would encourage you to, as it makes my 3sfe rarer :) lol)
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

PS it sounds like it will have a 3s-ge engine

Easier to get parts for and nice to work on
craig

Post by craig »

KarlBristol wrote:I think too many people give the 3sfe a hard time.

I love my 3sfe and wouldn't change it for any other engine, especially a turbo. I can understand the appeal but the 3sfe is a reliable and proven engine. Also its cheaper to insure, tax, and run. Not to mention that they're also a lot rarer now :) - they will continue to get rarer as not many were produced with the 3sfe and lots have now died or been converted.

Horses for courses I suppose

I'm not too worried about speed or horsepower as my daily driver is a speed machine (3 ltr merc). So for me, the MR2 comes out for shows, country drives, and to be worked on.

My advice would be to go for a well cared and maintained car regardless of engine. If your that worried about having a tubby you can always do a conversion (I would encourage you to, as it makes my 3sfe rarer :) lol)

Yep, each to their own mate as you say, cheaper tax on 'FE? They're all done on engine size at that era mate, all 2 litre cars, so same tax price :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

RedMR² wrote:Yep, each to their own mate as you say, cheaper tax on 'FE? They're all done on engine size at that era mate, all 2 litre cars, so same tax price :thumleft:

Learn something new every day :)

I thought it was a combination of engine size and emissions originally then it changed over in around 93ish to a few more variants
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I'm pretty sure mines £118 for 6 months
craig

Post by craig »

KarlBristol wrote:I'm pretty sure mines £118 for 6 months

Tax based on emissions from March 2001 I believe, engine size prior to that.

My tax is £118 for 6 months.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Sorry for the late reply but I had forgotten to turn on the notification of thread replies - now sorted.

I didn't take the replies as being aggressive so no worries there although I was a bit confused as to why you may have thought I was expecting a turbo model? That was never the case. I knew it was an N/A - just not sure which one.

Anyway, the car is now bought and will be collected next weekend - cant wait.
craig

Post by craig »

CJ wrote:although I was a bit confused as to why you may have thought I was expecting a turbo model? That was never the case. I knew it was an N/A - just not sure which one.

Think it was solely because your original post said you were going to look at a 1997 GT 16V, suggesting it was an import. (GT and GTS models were japanese import turbos) UK 1997 cars were GTi-16 variants, not GT's :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Pleased you've bought it - welcome to the fold :)

I can't wait to see full photos of it when you pick the car up ... bet you can't wait!

What sort of service history etc is with it?
CJ

Post by CJ »

RedMR² wrote:
CJ wrote:although I was a bit confused as to why you may have thought I was expecting a turbo model? That was never the case. I knew it was an N/A - just not sure which one.

Think it was solely because your original post said you were going to look at a 1997 GT 16V, suggesting it was an import. (GT and GTS models were japanese import turbos) UK 1997 cars were GTi-16 variants, not GT's :thumleft:

Ah right. I stand (or in this case) sit corrected. I see I have much to learn :)

Return to “Mechanical”