Cold air intake

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pk_090

Re: Cold air intake

Post by pk_090 »

Whats the price on the spoiler tim? I like the wheels, shame they are polished, id like to see them in a bronze colour maybe.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

The pic Lauren's found is just hilarious. "Isn't power everything?" - clearly, "no", even if it delivered bags of horses, the price for having to suffer that image burned into one's retinas is just too high.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

well, this has been part of my developments on cold air feed for mine with roof vent

Really need to get this mould finished, anyone wanting to help let me know!!

Plan is to do a 222d style lid...

For the hinges i would use smart roadster coupe ones as very similar...

this is how far i am...

Just unsure whether to have pertruding vents, or sunk in ones like the mk2 ask sport ones you can buy...

or

pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

:mrgreen: that looks epic! going for fg or carbon Neil?
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
stenky

Post by stenky »

looking at the 222d pics. the triangle window air scoops don't look that bad either. the glass there is purposeless anyway :)
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

pk_090 wrote::mrgreen: that looks epic! going for fg or carbon Neil?

Thanks

It took ages to get it even on both sides, and is pretty much there, jusy needs some filler, the back section fabricating and lots of sanding.

Carbon would be my eventual target (along with my flared arches to match) but really need to get this plug finished so i can do the mould, then can worry about material!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Driving in a rainstorm, what happens to all the water that gets swallowed by a huge roof vent like that :?:

Peter
Last edited by elbon50 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Neil, if your tempted to sell some i'll be very tempted by one :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

once the mould is done will be very easy to run a few off, just a case of getting it finished first, only taken me 8 months so far! :lol:
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

elbon50 wrote:Driving in a rainstorm, what happens to all the water that gets swallowed by a huge roof vent like that :?:

Peter

I think the roof scoops are intended for ducting air to an intercooler, rather than induction...? (certainly in the case of the RS200).

...so any rain going through is a huge bonus! :D

...but its not gonna do much harm with an air intake, either...?

Any rain getting to the filter will be atomised on the way through, and will cool the charge: so if you then SC/turbo the charge, it'll be crudely "pre-intercooled"..!

I had a rough play with this principle with my AE101 S/C and an Aquamist water injection setup, with interesting initial results.... :thumleft:

I suppose that unless you are pouring water into the air intake, or have the filter outside ON the roof, in sustained monsoon conditions, your induction air intake is not going to be affected much by water....?

Shame this wasn't done 4 years ago, mate: I'd defo have become involved.... :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Ah good thinking Greg :)

The turbo side of the equation hadn't ocurred to me

Peter
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

Leaving aside the excellent point about water going to cool an intercooler...

A further point occurs to me about the idea of water injection, water going straight into the engine. Leaving aside also the thermodynamics and chemistry of water injection, when water is going straight into the engine itself, we have to ask what the source of the water is. Real rain is clean, but water running off the engine tray isn't, nor is spray on the motorway as it may have come off other vehicles or much worse have come from the road. Water that could contain grit presumably is not such a good thing?

Pure water injection though might indeed very well be a good thing for performance, agreed.

In fact, sounds to me like someone should start collecting and channeling water for intercoolers, for radiators, to cool intake air, ... the uses are many!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

CecilWard wrote:

Pure water injection though might indeed very well be a good thing for performance, agreed.

Whilst water injection is no doubt effective, I can't help but it see it as something of a 'band-aid' for in-effective intercooling. Better to have intercooling that doesn't require water injection for obvious reasons.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

Although I might well be inclined to joke about no shortage of pure water from the skies here in the Highlands, seriously who wants extra bhp (only) when it's peeing down. Then the problem is more that of too many horses rather than too few. :-)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”