Buying a mk1 MR2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsporter

Buying a mk1 MR2

Post by Tsporter »

Hi,

I had a 02 Corolla T-sport for about two years but sold that as I needed a diesel. So I have a few quid to buy a second "neo classic" and have my heart set on a Mk1 MR2. They're not very common in Ireland and have only ever seen one or two on the road.

Anyway, this one has caught my eye, what you guys think? :- http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2877252

Hope its ok to post a link to the car, if its not please delete. I just want the experts opinions here on it. I know the wheels are not original but other than that it looks ok....maybe needs a new exhaust and the front drivers wing may have rust.

Thanks
SuperRedMR2

Re: Buying a mk1 MR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The link isn't working fella
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:The link isn't working fella

Yeah sorry, you'll have to delete the space between the h-ttp to see it. The site won't let me post a URL because i'm brand new here...
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sorry I didn't notice that
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Sorry I didn't notice that

Your car is mint by the way, love the twin exhaust. I plan on keeping the future MR2 as original as possible but i love the twin tailpipes! Already have some picked out!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Apart from the horrific grammar and spelling mistakes I can see dinks in the front bumper, front wing, pinstripes missing on front wing.

Looks like its had the front and rear bumpers sprayed as its got no decals, no screaming eagle image on rear bumper, no 'TOYOTA' stick on front bumper and pinstripes are missing on rear quarters.

The front valance isn't straight at the bottom.

May have had accident damage?
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Tsporter wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:The link isn't working fella

Yeah sorry, you'll have to delete the space between the h-ttp to see it. The site won't let me post a URL because i'm brand new here...

Either a Mod or yourself would have to delete the space Tsporter

Members can only edit their own posts

Peter
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Apart from the horrific grammar and spelling mistakes I can see dinks in the front bumper, front wing, pinstripes missing on front wing.

Looks like its had the front and rear bumpers sprayed as its got no decals, no screaming eagle image on rear bumper, no 'TOYOTA' stick on front bumper and pinstripes are missing on rear quarters.

The front valance isn't straight at the bottom.

May have had accident damage?

And this is why I love owners clubs! Thanks for having a look. I did see the dents in the wing and wasn't sure about pinstripes, suppose it does suggest accident damage.

All questions to put to the seller, thanks again!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My car is not mint, that picture was taken when I deemed it 'Acceptable' lol.

My car is currently a dog at the moment, with an engine replacement imminent and rear arches falling apart.

I have had a bad day at work so forgive me for being so negative. My rear bumper paintwork was 'crazed' but bought another bumper in better condition instead of spraying it. So could all be cosmetic with no damage..
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Edited the link so it works now. :thumleft:

It's definitely had some work done on the front end, looks like there's a bit of rust on the front valence as well.

Always worth a look if it's close, it's a good chassis and the base of the A and B pillars that you want to be looking for.
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Apart from the horrific grammar and spelling mistakes

"dore" !! Do not get me started Aaa aa aaaaaaaaargh :shock: :o :) :D :? :twisted:
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Limeymk1 wrote:Edited the link so it works now. :thumleft:

It's definitely had some work done on the front end, looks like there's a bit of rust on the front valence as well.

Always worth a look if it's close, it's a good chassis and the base of the A and B pillars that you want to be looking for.

Thanks for the edit.
It's not really close but might be worth a trip if the price was right...and they're rare over here. The NCT (equivalent of MOT) is almost out too.
Is it difficult to get a can of the paint? Ice blue pearl I believe.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Helios Blue is the colour IIRC. You could spray it, but it's rusty underneath, so better to fix it properly.

Worth getting it with a year's NCT on it surely.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tsporter

Post by Tsporter »

Lauren wrote:Helios Blue is the colour IIRC. You could spray it, but it's rusty underneath, so better to fix it properly.

Worth getting it with a year's NCT on it surely.

Ah I'd be fixing the rust before spraying alright, was just wondering if the paint is still easily got.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tsporter wrote:
Ah I'd be fixing the rust before spraying alright, was just wondering if the paint is still easily got.

When I got a couple of rattle cans from Toyota on one of my old Mr2's to touch up a few areas, although it was the same colour, it wasn't an exact match and made it a bit poo. so you might want to consider that, and budget for a full respray if the touch up is bad.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Tsporter wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:Edited the link so it works now. :thumleft:

Thanks for the edit.
It's not really close but might be worth a trip if the price was right...and they're rare over here. The NCT (equivalent of MOT) is almost out too.
Is it difficult to get a can of the paint? Ice blue pearl I believe.

It seems to be same colour as my car Tsporter. Ice Blue Mica

I've had a rattle can & touchup stick from Mr T fairly recently

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Bearing in mind the car is 21 years old and the paint would have faded in that time, unlikely it'll match.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

OK first thing to consider is that digital photographs always make a car look better than it is
secondly that car has by the looks had quite a bit of paintwork done and not to a good standard, anyone who either cant be bothered to remove or at the very least mask off the trim strips on the front wings before painting isn't going to be doing a decent job elsewhere!
I'd suggest if its not too far away from you then go and have a look at it but only as a "what not to buy exercise" view as many as you can before you buy conditions vary greatly and asking price is no guide to its actual worth
Oh and steering wheel glove!!!!!!!!! #-o #-o #-o
how very '70s
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Bearing in mind the car is 21 years old and the paint would have faded in that time, unlikely it'll match.

Very true Alex

But the paint I've got isn't a bad match

Could get some mixed (at a price :shock: )

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

elbon50 wrote:
Could get some mixed (at a price :shock: )

Peter

Surely with older cars you pretty much always need to get the paint matched and mixed. Had this done with my AE86, didn't think it was overly expensive tbh.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”