[Mk2] [Generic] dizzy clamp not tightening up...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

djpkins

[Mk2] [Generic] dizzy clamp not tightening up...

Post by djpkins »

I have recently changed the o-ring on my dizzy as it was leaking, still is leaking...so I took it of and all looked well, when re fitting I noticed that although it wound in fully, the securing clamp on the head wasn't gripping the dizzy neck...at all, I had a few retry's...put a washer on the bolt in case it had stretched...now the star drive is pretty much mashed and in need of a new bolt.
The dizzy collar and the hole where it sits were clean, no scores etc...maybe some kind of a build up inbetween the clamp face surfaces?
4ndee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] dizzy clamp not tightening up...

Post by 4ndee »

Did you use a oem o ring? I had this problem, I spent ages looking a replacing o ring that stopped it leaking, Then had to use rubber grease to make it fit. When I used the oem o ring it leaked.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

What "securing clamp"?

The O ring is an interference fit into the head/cap. I've always used a bit of Vaseline to stop it grabbing, and never had a new one leak....

Edited to add:

OK, so you've removed the cap. No need to as Luke says.
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

No need to remove the cap. If you do, replace the bolts with hex bolts.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I didn't remove the cap completely, just undid the rear faceing bolt to release the grip...the bolt was wound in tightly, but wasn't clamping the dizzy in place and it rotated freely. I changed the o ring a while back, I'm sure it's nothing more than crap stuck in a hole, sealed it up with a bit of silicone for now and will get some new bolts tmrw.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

OK, so let's be clear...

The cap which sits on the head and forms half of the bore for the distributor shaft was not removed. - Good.

There are 2 distributor clamp bolts. Which are slackened by a turn when adjusting ignition timing. It is these you refer to?

Can you locate the distributor body snug against the side of the head before trying to tighten the clamp bolts?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

yes...only slackened off the rear of the 2 star drive cap bolts...all of the faces are clean and free from dirt, just very clean, fresh oil dribbling onto the gearbox...removed the lower 2, 14mm bolts and then pulled the dizzy out.
I wiped all the surfaces with some white spirit to further de-grease and applied a thin bead of high temp black silicone around the dizzy neck, behind the o-ring ( outer side )....it's stopped the leak for now.
I have a spare dizzy, but it too refuses to be clamped down by the cap, my thoughts are that I have contaminated the gap between the cap surfaces when cleaning it out, maybe a feeler guage will slide inbetween them and move the blockage...should the dizzy be "locked into place" with the cap or should it still be moveable?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Sounds like u haven't lined up the dizzy to intake cam? Remove cap, turn rotor until it slots all the way in. It will only go in 1 way.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Skywalker wrote:Sounds like u haven't lined up the dizzy to intake cam? Remove cap, turn rotor until it slots all the way in. It will only go in 1 way.

Beat me to it! :thumleft:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

No...it's as flush as you like, all tightened up...the silicone has stopped the dribble so it's just not tightening up fully...new bolts tmrw when I can get out and get some.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I might have misunderstood you but I think your concern is that you've refitted the "cam cap" that bolts down onto the dizzy and found that the distributor still rotates. If that's the case then don't worry as that is how it should be.
That cap only provides a sealing surface for the dizzy o-ring, and doesn't retain the whole distributor. If it did clamp everything up tight then we wouldn't be able to adjust the timing without first removing the rocker cover etc.

Wingers
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Thats exactly what I meant and also exactly what I wanted to know...cheers wingers...still leaks though...unless it's not that and there is another leaky spot around there, it's not the rocker box cover cos I 've just done that and sealed the cam corners...I got hold of some o-rings that are a bit beefier, I'll try one of those next.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Just give all the surfaces a visual check. If there is decent oring compression then it should seal fine and any leaks will most likely be from elsewhere.
I've only heard of this once but a friend of mine had a damaged dizzy that was causing a leak. The groove which the oring sits in has broken through so the dizzy housing was effectively in two parts. It struck me as an unlikely failure so it could be a one-off but worth checking for none-the-less.

Wingers
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

good suggestion, but not the case here...I have a spare dizzy/engine...so most things are evident when offering up parts on those...I have tried the spare dizzy, which also leaks...pointing towards the cap not quite tightening down enough I reckon.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

By all means make sure it's torqued up properly but I wouldn't hold your breath on that front if I were you. As long as the diameter is smooth (lines up properly) and you can't get a feeler gauge in the splitline then it should be ok. I'm not sure if it's possible to fit the cap the wrong way round but that would be worth cheking. Give the rest a good once over at the same time and maybe go for a bit of silicon sealant where required.
I can't really offer any more than that withough seing it but good luck.
:thumleft:

Wingers
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Didn't take the cap off , just cracked and slackened off one side to release the grip...I think I have managed to wedge a bit of stuff in there when I was cleaning the hole out....that or the leaking oil had washed a piece of debris in there...either way, today is the day when I have time to do stuff...so I'll get on it...thanks for your help...Ironic that as you fix one oil leak you find another...an eye for an eye...lol
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Yeah - chasing oil leaks around the engine bay can be a full time job!

Wingers
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

It's not the dizzy, or the rocker box gasket...it seems to be coming from the block/head...unlikely that it's oozing through the metal...but deffo from that area, traces of oil closer to the turbo than could be possible if it were the dizzy, plus the dizzy is dry as a bone.
I'm gonna take my ct20 off ( chipped blades/no power ) and replace with a ct26, when it's all off...I should be able to see a lot more.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Dave, have you checked to make sure it's not the oil pressure switch leaking ?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Gaz, I never though about that...I really hope it's that now, it did explode a while back, easy enough to replace...not sure if I used any ptfe or owt...good man anyways...Gaz, you and the family have a great start to the new year and remember,

BRAKE STOPPER AND £50...LOL...pop round and collect ah kid. :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”