[Mk2] [Turbo] whistling or very high pitched squeal

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevek

[Mk2] [Turbo] whistling or very high pitched squeal

Post by stevek »

Hi guys not been on here for ages as the mr2 has been fine but i have a problem not had chance to look at it yet its wet and cold but when i start the car on tickover there is a high pitched squeal or whistling sound from the motor it almost sounds as if there is an air leak somewhere like a pipe or tube has come adrift.at first i thought it was the alternator bearing but when i drive or rev the motor it disappears and only returns when i take my foot off the throttle back to tickover.its not the clutch bearing. i will slacken the fan belt tomorrow to cancel the alternator bearing out.any ideas on what to check first.anyone had anything like it ?.it's a mk 2 rev one turbo
best regards Steve
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] whistling or very high pitched squeal

Post by djpkins »

the earlier 2 revision normally run really badly if there is an air leak between the AFM and TB, but it could be a split t-piece or vac line, the hose couplings can also de-laminate over time, although this normally shows up more as the revs build...wouldn't mess with the alt belt unless your gonna replace, if it's not been done for ages, it will squeal....aswell, throw in a suspension knock, and you'll be a one man band like me :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

djpkins wrote:the earlier 2 revision normally run really badly if there is an air leak between the AFM and TB,

this doesnt help the OP but its just an interesting note. couple of weekends ago i ran my rev2 with the intake disassembled. The intake to the intercooler was the first part of my intake system. Ran sweet as a nut and the AFM was about 10 metres away lol.
stevek

Post by stevek »

now sorted spent all afternoon on this and traced it to the cold start injector had come loose it really was strange it whistled all around the engine bay so could not tell where it was coming from.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I get belt squeal on start up it usually disappears in under 30 secs and doesn't come back..it's quite loud and noticeable as belt squeal id say and not the same as an airleak.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I know this is an old thread now, but didn't want to post up a duplicate thread if it's same issue.

Just to confirm, if cold start injector is loose is it a loud shrill sound you get maybe at start up and then as the engine warms immediately after any throttle?

I thought for ages it was a worn alternator bearing but after Peter replaced mine looked closer and the sound seems to be coming from this vicinity - thought at first it was the hose which connects throttle body > intercooler intake being loose, but after replacing the cheap jubilee clips present still have the noise.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Loque

Post by Loque »

Intriguing. Mine is rather whiney also. Although I presumed it was down to vacuum hoses. I'll try to remember to check whether it goes away when warm.

Return to “Mechanical”