Driving an MR2 in snowy/icy conditions.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nik_L

Driving an MR2 in snowy/icy conditions.....

Post by Nik_L »

Right, seeing as the bad weather is coming, and my MR2 is my daily, does any1 have any tips for driving in the snow??

Will it be a good idea to put some weight in the front trunk to help reduce over-steer??
Steve-O 2007

Re: Driving an MR2 in snowy/icy conditions.....

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

drive slow thats all i did
Draven

Post by Draven »

Slow and steady try to predict other drivers movements allow yourself more than enough room to stop.

Not really Mr2 specific things same as any car. Driving in winter is dangerous.

If it is a turbo stay off boost. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Draven on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I would suggest getting winter tyres if you are going to be using it daily. Pick up a set of stock wheels to fit them on cheap, and just swap them on in the winter assuming you have the storage space. Winter tyres make a HUGE difference not just in adverse conditions, but when it is cold too - summer tyres will harden up around 7C, so under 7C winter tyres will be far superior regardless of whether its dry, wet, etc.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I drive slower, keep below 4000 rpm and givr myself more space than usual.

i don't mind some vrs leaving me at the traffic lights. I just laugh because i know what's lurking in the back of my car.
Harold

Replacement windscreens

Post by Harold »

I find that the mr2 is quite good in the snow and ice compared to other rwd cars, last winter my neighbours big mercedes couldn't get out of the car park as there is a tiny incline which was rather icy. Yet my mr2 could just trundle up there no problems, having the engine over the rear wheels helps a lot.

You have to be sensible of course but I used it often in the snow and ice with no problems. I was on the standard 15 inch wheels though, if you've got some big rims and wide rubber you're going to have more difficulty.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

This was me last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N67aSKNrKU

Overall, it was one of the worst journeys I have ever done.
But that was all down to other drivers, tailgating or driving too fast for the conditions.
If I'd been the only car on the road I'd have loved it :)

As already stated, the MR2 isn't as bad as front engined RWD cars.
But I think the best bet would be winter tyres.
ashley

Post by ashley »

The best thing I did last year in the snow was find a nice open space covered in fresh snow and then experimented, I learnt so much about the feel and handling of my two in a few days of pi$$ing around like a hooligan, especially learning not to panic when back end grip disappears and then be able to concentrate on trying to recover....was huge fun as well :lol:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

I personally really like th MR2 in the snow, but as said above, get some empty car park experience if possible. I also stuck a pair of 225/60/15 Fulda winter tyres on a pair of spare wheels, and although they only had around ~4mm tread on them, they made a massive difference to the way the car could put the power down.

Even in quite deep snow or compacted snow it found good traction. Just a pity the fronts were standard tyres, hence steering was more like canal boat-like than anything else compared to the rear :lol:
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Thing is, yeah the MR2 will be better for traction when pulling away compared to BMW's etc, but once on the move it wont be as good. Once it starts to slide, the weight over the rear wheels will give it a pendulum effect making it harder to control.

I have been up the industrial estate when it was snowy last week, trying to get used to it, but its soooo un-predictable compared to my old 328i Sport. Was really hard trying to get used to it doing things u don't want it doing.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Its only unpredictable because you are not used to it :D Theres usually a tendancy to over- correct, which is compounded / magnified on snow as the steering feels very light. Of course the best advice is not to end up in a situation on the road where you have to apply lots of steering correction, therefore best to tip toe around corners bends, then use the traction advantage once the road straightens up...
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Is it worth dropping 25kg of sand or something into the frunk?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I found mine steered from the rear anyway.

I hated it and its an experience I never wish to go through again, I live in a hilly area and it 360 on itself on a junction as it was an incline with a mild camber, hateful experience but it managed it unlike alot of my neighbours that just quit and stayed in.

I opted for a Range Rover after that :whistle:

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
CecilWard

Post by CecilWard »

nickg07 wrote:Is it worth dropping 25kg of sand or something into the frunk?

Definitely not!!

Momentum is your enemy.

1. Winter tyres. This is important.
2. Anticipate. Brake before you have to, even just to test the grip.
3. In fresh snow, make sure your ABS/traction control is off, but don't forget to turn it back on again.

My AW11s have been outstanding in the snow, allowance made for their lack of ground clearance.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

....good point...ground clearance...my car ate a hooj rut of snow that had gathered in the centre of the road, split the bottom lip and took out the foggies.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Yea that's bad im probably -40mm on my car i don't think my sump appreciates even the minor speed bumps and i don't want it rusting through again after collecting snow and salt on it:/
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

I spent most of last year steering on the thottle, I loved it. I found the car to be good in the snow since the weight over the wheels helped with traction and the LSD got the car moving forward.
Yes, it was a snow plough at times but not once did it get stuck - my girlfriends SLK wouldn't even get off the drive.

(I did drive into a concrete kerb though and wreck the tracking - I thought it was a drift of snow so entirely my fault! :oops: )
Marf

Post by Marf »

Nik_L wrote:Right, seeing as the bad weather is coming, and my MR2 is my daily, does any1 have any tips for driving in the snow??

Don't :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Get a bit extra rear toe in :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Marf wrote:
Nik_L wrote:Right, seeing as the bad weather is coming, and my MR2 is my daily, does any1 have any tips for driving in the snow??

Don't :thumleft:

+1 :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”