[Mk2 Turbo] manifold and downpipe

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

welshboyo

[Mk2 Turbo] manifold and downpipe

Post by welshboyo »

got myself twin entry mr2 and i have just spotted a manifold and downpipe for sale on e bay would it make much of a difference on bhp and torque :?
Essex MR2

Re: [Mk2 Turbo] manifold and downpipe

Post by Essex MR2 »

Don't know about the manifolds, but the cownpipe does away with the cat and is meant to be a really good mod for making the car more responsive and releasing some more power.
I've not got round to getting one yet but have fited an exhaust and air filter and that made a really noticeable difference. :wink:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Downpipes - you're proably as well just gutting your existing cat out. The difference in performance between a standard turbo elbow plus gutted cat vs a custom downpipe is going to be really small.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

BenF wrote:Downpipes - you're proably as well just gutting your existing cat out. The difference in performance between a standard turbo elbow plus gutted cat vs a custom downpipe is going to be really small.

My gutted cat, induction kit and crappy powerflow exhaust netted me 40bhp :D
DONUT69

Post by DONUT69 »

What kind off exhaust you got on your mr2.
jamief

Post by jamief »

The stock manifold is good for around 500bhp.

The ones on ebay (I presume its an xspower one) are very very poor - have a look on the US site, there are many reports of them cracking. If you really want a manifold, save up and buy a good one (full race for example). You get what you pay for! Id also steer clear of the xspower downpipes - I got one which cracked within a couple of days, so am going back to a gutted cat.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

DONUT69 wrote:What kind off exhaust you got on your mr2.

Its a crappy twin exit powerflow job. May be able to squeeze a little more out of a better one like Hayward & Scott or Blitz etc.
DONUT69

Post by DONUT69 »

Did you fit the support bracket to your xspower downpipe. If ya didnt thats why it cracked it hits the A/C pump. Have mine on a month and no sign off cracks. And gets plenty of abuse :whistle:
jamief

Post by jamief »

It was jammed so hard against the ac pump that the vibration cracked it.

Plus its a pretty feckin bad idea having a downpipe pressed against other pipes in the engine bay, considering the temperature it gets to. I will be going back to a gutted cat or a proper downpipe, not that piece of crap!
DONUT69

Post by DONUT69 »

Not impressed then with it :( I am happy enough with mine until it does the same. But for now it will do.

Did you send it back and get refunded for it cracking.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

DONUT69 wrote:
Did you send it back and get refunded for it cracking.

It caused a big row i believe, wonder if he ever got his refund :-k
DONUT69

Post by DONUT69 »

Im a bit dissapointed now. Dont like to here that i bought crap. Just be waiting for the dam thing to crack :(
jamief

Post by jamief »

If yours hasn't cracked then you are probably okay mate - Ive heard some peoples dont touch the aircon, while others are pressed hard against it - leading me to believe they aren't manufactured to the same specifications each time.

I am in dispute with the ebay seller at the moment trying to get a refund, but he is a complete asshole! Paypal is currently "handling" it.
DONUT69

Post by DONUT69 »

Hope you get a refund mate. Mine has only a gap between it off at least 5mm. Not much room but have the bracket on so heres to hopein that it dosent crack.
mintz

Post by mintz »

TBH there are alot of fake xs power goods on ebay. All the genuine stuff i have come across has been of very good quality

Return to “Modifications”