Garage bill

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Willymr

Garage bill

Post by Willymr »

Just paid £180 (inc VAT) to have the rear discs and pads replaced on my 1994 turbo - i supplied the parts : :shock:
This works out at 3hrs labour as the garage charges £50 per hour!
I changed the fronts myself but found the rear bolts too tight for my small socket set i was using so decided on the garage option!
The garage complained that some bolts were very tight - rusty etc - but i cant understand how it took so long considering they have all the equipment etc - after all its only 3 bolts each side - and not all were seized up!
Whats your thought on this? :shock:
cvega666

Re: Garage bill

Post by cvega666 »

damn! I paid 120 inc VAT for front calipers AND pads to be replaced in a local garage in a small village (decent one too)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

The bolts are never that tight tbh, yes they are tight for a normal socket set, but with a breaker bar the seal snaps pretty easy. I removed 2 rear calipers in 5 mins the other day. A garage should have been able to to the whole lot in about 30-45mins max.

The bolts aren't that big, so no way would they have been that tight that.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Damn! :shock: maybe if they had drum handbrakes and had a mare yeah, but that's ott!
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

did they say if the sliders were seized? if they were then that could take some time to sort although three hours is pushing it a tad.
£50ph is about right though,last time i checked main dealer rates were around £75ph.
i did a wheel bearing for a mate on a 54plate corolla TSport last week. dealer quoted £350 for the job incl £75 for the bearing. only took me a couple of hours and that with nipping round to a mates garage to loan his bearing press.
Willymr

Post by Willymr »

Didnt mention if the sliders were seized - just said they had hell of a job getting the bolts off :?
Just comparing the fact i done both fronts in an hour with a small socket set and standard jack etc! - cant really see how it took them 3 hrs even if the bolts were rusty!
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I was quoted £300 as my rear wheels would come off and they rekoned I would need hubs and the works.

So we cut the wheel of and changed the brakes all done for less than £50

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Holy crappy, of I charged those prices id be shot. Would cost £52 at ours plus vat. We use gas if bolts/sliders seized takes seconds. Forgot how many cowboys there are.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

if you are supplying parts and have told them specifically what you want you should ask for a quote beforehand, that way they have to stick to it and you can decline in advance
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Did you tell them you weren't happy? I don't like being a "squeeky wheel" and rarely do I complain...but being ripped off is for wnkers. Go back round there and assert yourself, you don't have to start a fight but throw ALL of the fkn toys out of the pram infront of All the customers you can find...few people who take their car to a garrage will have the knowledge that you have about the mr2 and given the fact it's only 2 bolts per caliper and they weren't snapped off or in need of tapping etc...even with a bit of "ramp time" I think an hours charge maximum.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

+1
Willymr

Post by Willymr »

Yeh when i first went there the guy said 40-50mins provided theres no hassle :? - lol!
So how does 40mins suddenly become 3hrs?
I should have been more assertive on the day i collected - but i was running late - i stated that the bill was far more than i expected - nb there were other costs on the bill for fan belt purchase and fitting labour etc - so i pin pointed the discs when i got back home and was flabbergasted!
Could go back to garage but its been a wk now and dont know if it will get me anywhere - hate garages that take the p1$$!!! :evil:
Baker

Post by Baker »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/

Get in contact now!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

if they genuinely spent 3 hrs on those 4 bolts...I'm sure they will be able to recall every, never before experienced, nightmare they had with said 4 bolts...thus justifying the charge up, you gotta put the onus on them to explain and weave whatever web they will...then you'll have a much better position to beat the fkr with his own bull$hit stick :thumleft:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Willymr wrote:Yeh when i first went there the guy said 40-50mins provided theres no hassle :? - lol!
So how does 40mins suddenly become 3hrs?
I should have been more assertive on the day i collected - but i was running late - i stated that the bill was far more than i expected - nb there were other costs on the bill for fan belt purchase and fitting labour etc - so i pin pointed the discs when i got back home and was flabbergasted!
Could go back to garage but its been a wk now and dont know if it will get me anywhere - hate garages that take the p1$$!!! :evil:

Where did you take it, im in South Wales
Willymr

Post by Willymr »

The garage in question is David Coe in Gorseion (Nr Swansea) - its a pukka garage which i knew wasnt cheap but were very good at what they done :lol:
I ve e-mailed said garage saying that i think theyve made a mistake on the bill lol - i told them i will be coming back to discuss the bill shortly!
Im awaiting a reply......
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Make yourself comfy....
Willymr

Post by Willymr »

Have received a reply -
Garage now says (was NOT told this before) that the time was taken to completely strip, lube and clean the sliders/calipers as they were seized up! :lol:
Suppose they have had time to think up the worse scenario possible before replying!!!
A few days after getting the car back i re-stripped the rears down (of course the bolts were now easier for ME to get off) to paint the rear calipers - i found the sliders to be stiff when trying to wind them back - i would never say they had been taken apart and re-greased etc.
I am genuinely convinced these have not been completely stripped down!
Not sure if its worth persuing as they seem to have their answers all worked out!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Not wanting to sound patronising but you don't normally 'wind' sliders. The things you were trying to wind in were probably pistons not sliders?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Willymr

Post by Willymr »

My mistake - thought sliders was slang for pistons as they move out of the caliper! Not really relevant :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”