FTO V6 conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

FTO V6 conversion

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My best mate mentioned to me why not do a Mitsi FTO 2ltr V6 Mivec conversion with the mk1 - has anyone looked into this or is it not possible?
Jimbo_Jet

Re: FTO V6 conversion

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

I've wondered about that very same conversion for a year or so now as they are FWD and prob no bigger than a 1mz-fe block?

Would probably be the ideal best-of-both-worlds option for me;

Toyota V6's have a fantastic sound :D but don't rev high, which I love on the 4AGE, and at 3.0+ will cost more to fuel :neutral:

2ZZ-GE's have the high revs and 1.8 economy :D but just don't have the V6 symphony :neutral:

Would a FTO MIVEC 2.0 V6 give me a high reving, V6 sounding, 2.0 decent economy engine I dream of? :-k This is job for Paul Woods me thinks!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I don't understand why anyone would choose this engine when the 1mz-fe already exists, it would be a backwards step but cost more to do because of incompatibility issues between Mitsu and Toyota.

If you want a V6 in a Mk1 then a 1mz is without question the one to go for, stunning performance, amazing sound, bombproof reliability, keeps it all Toyota (there's a lot to be said for that) and it's fairly economical if driven on motorways, but come on these are sports cars!

I'll gladly do the conversion for you but it will cost considerably more than a regular 1mz and you'll end up with less grunt.

Sorry to pee on the bonfire!
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Bonfire peeed on :lol:

How high will the 1MZ-FE rev? Are there options for raising the rev limit poss with different cams?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It revs to around 7k, but they don't need to rev high, they have such a great spread of torque from 2000rpm.

You can't cam a 1mz, they don't exist, but the later VVti version is a screamer (i have one in my Lexus Rx300 and it hauls that to 150mph very quickly indeed, weighs around 600kg more than a Mk1)

The VVti 1mz would be a better choice for you, i'm going to fit one into my Mk1 this Spring.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah I understand Paul, my mate wondered why its never been done that's all and I told him because there are better and more powerful engines out there that have been put in.

Jimbo the 2.0 V6 mivec is not economical - about 25mpg
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

:lol: That's my theory shot!

Post by 5705 »

I'd always thought the biggest cost of an untried engine swap is development. Being the first to try it is always going to cost blood, sweat, tears and more money.

Plus I like the 'keep it Toyota' idea, although I never knew the Toyota V6s were that well regarded. In the same way, I think most V6-into-X1/9 guys tend to stick to Italian engines (Alfa 3.0 V6 - lots of donors).

Previously I'd wondered about the VW VR6 for its narrowness.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Jimbo my mate managed about 30mpg on his 2.0 non mivec fto, granted it was tiptronic but only had 180 bhp and that was driving carefully.

Would you buy a mivec capable of 9k rpm and drive it carefully??? lol

Post by 5705 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Would you buy a mivec capable of 9k rpm and drive it carefully??? lol

Would anyone spend £4000 on an engine conversion and care that much about an extra 5mpg or so? :D
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I know this would probably seem like the antichrist but im seriously considering droping a rotary engine in mine!
Alex
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Never liked you much Alex :) , i'll hold the door, someone grab his ankles.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

haha! I just think it would be awesome either an N/a Rx8 lump or a nicely blown f/d engine it would be sublime!
Alex
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I know I keep preaching on about it but a mk1 with a 1mz is the closest thing to MR2 utopia you'll ever experience, forget all other options.
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

I love the 2zz. then again It'd be better with a supercharger or a honda k20a

:-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Ian, the 2zz is the best unit for keeping things within the original design spec of the Mk1, high revving, lightweight etc, a lovely conversion.

I guess i'm a sucker for that V6 howl and the silly amount of torque.
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I know I keep preaching on about it but a mk1 with a 1mz is the closest thing to MR2 utopia you'll ever experience, forget all other options.

I kinda thought an Audi V8 ticked that box Paul, whats happening with the beast these days?

Alan
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The V8 is a novelty car, built for showcasing what we can do and just to prove it could be done, but it doesn't make an especially good Mr2, it's very raw, violent and behaves more like a caged animal than a civilised everyday car, i couldn't imagine using it as a daily commuter. It's locked away getting its bodywork sorted for the Spring.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”