[Mk2] [Turbo] Are the rev1 and rev2 head gaskets the same?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Maverick9999

[Mk2] [Turbo] Are the rev1 and rev2 head gaskets the same?

Post by Maverick9999 »

Hi there,

As the title suggests, a friend has a spare head-gasket for a change I need to do on my car. A possible issue is that his is for a rev1 and mine is a rev2. From what I am told, the engines on the rev1 and rev2 are essentially the same and only changed significantly on the rev3. Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this so I didn't have to purchase a new one unnecessarily?
Chris

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Are the rev1 and rev2 head gaskets the same?

Post by Chris »

They all fit. If you are doing the HG I would fit a steel one anyways :thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

As above, if you're going to the hassle of doing a head gasket, I'd for a metal one off a rev3. Straight drop on & worry free.

TCB parts are your beat bet (genuine Toyota one)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Super. Thanks guys!
craig

Post by craig »

Chris wrote:They all fit. If you are doing the HG I would fit a steel one anyways :thumleft:

Couldn't agree more :)
JDMMR2Mark

Post by JDMMR2Mark »

Do you need to plane (dont know the word in english -> to make head and block "straight") if you install the gen2 gasket? Because my head gasket is broken but i dont want to "plane" the engine, because i rebuild it in a year. I have gen2 and gen3 gasket at home..
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

JDMMR2Mark wrote:Do you need to plane (dont know the word in english -> to make head and block "straight") if you install the gen2 gasket? Because my head gasket is broken but i dont want to "plane" the engine, because i rebuild it in a year. I have gen2 and gen3 gasket at home..

Yep head will need skimming if you want it done properly!
JDMMR2Mark

Post by JDMMR2Mark »

Johnr32 wrote:
JDMMR2Mark wrote:Do you need to plane (dont know the word in english -> to make head and block "straight") if you install the gen2 gasket? Because my head gasket is broken but i dont want to "plane" the engine, because i rebuild it in a year. I have gen2 and gen3 gasket at home..

Yep head will need skimming if you want it done properly!

Uh, not the answer i was hoping :(
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

How bad will it get if the head isn't skimmed? Doesn't it just add a small amount to the cylinder capacity? Or will other bad things happen?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

With metal gaskets it's very important. We always, always rebuild the head when it's off anyway. Do all that the get leaky valve seals. Bummer!
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Maverick.
Sorry I never got the chance to check the gasket before I left so will have to do that when I get back now. It was a complete head gasket kit from Toyota though so it seems logical that it's only a paper gasket. For some reason I seem to remember seeing a more substantial HG in there though?!

I would agree that it's only worth fitting a MLS gasket, so if mine is a paper one then get onto someone like Camskill or Burton Power and get a Cometic head gasket. (I'll check mine after India so hold fire on this for now). As for the head rework, since you're planning to increase boost then £30 for a head skim is worthwhile when the head is already off. Of course that means being without the car for a week or so, so that's something you'll have to decide if you can do? Personally, I don't have any experience of not reworking the head so can't really advise on that. If you can do without the car for a while then I would say get it skimmed.
I should be able to clean up the seats for you so don't worry about that.
Stem seals are another good idea but I found them surprisingly expensive to source. Toyota's head rebuild kit was about the cheapest way to do so, and it then comes with the manifold gaskets etc. but you might find a cheaper way to get just the stem seals. I wouldn’t worry too much about the manifold gaskets. I have some that are in good condition and I’ve reused those before without any issues.

To do it properly, you’re probably looking at:
Head gasket £90
Head machining £30
Stem seals ???

Wingers
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Cheers Wingers, I think I'll get the head skimmed, only issue is that you'll need to visit twice :$

Will chat when you're back from your travels.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

No need to buy an aftermarket head gasket, a stock rev3 one (MLS) is man enough for most jobs.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

skimming the head is a total waste of time if your head is not out of tolorance for straightness, its a simple check with a feeler guage and a metal rule
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Hmm :-k getting the head skimmed is definatly a good idea - I dont want to add to your issues but when my h/g blew on my rev 1 I found out not only was the head in need of skimming - (5 thou) the block needed doing as well (6thou) hope thats not the same in your case. also FYI if your fitting a rev 3 metal head gasket to your rev 2 it would be a good idea to lay out the gaskets over one another and check them - on my rev 1 there was 1 oil way that had to be increased in size marginally. Hope this helps and not confuses or makes the issue worse. :thumleft:
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

I think I'm going to go for getting a Toyota rev3 head gasket kit (which I presume is comparable to a metal one). Does anyone know if there's anything else in the kit that I can use on a rev2 engine e.g. valve seals etc?

Looking at this one on TCB (says its for a celica but the engine model is the same as the mr2 turbo?) :

Cylinder Head Gasket Set Genuine Toyota
Fits Celica ST 205 GT4 (3S-GTE engine 1993 -1999)

Part number: 04112-74521

Return to “Mechanical”