Wrapping Experience?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kendoskeg

Wrapping Experience?

Post by kendoskeg »

Evening all.

Does anyone have any experience of wrapping a car themselves?

Obviously this kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400233681556? ... 3D1&_rdc=1 is probably selling more equipment and material than I'd need, but has anyone ever attempted this themselves?

How was it?

Cheers.
alanmr2turbo

Re: Wrapping Experience?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

First find out what make of vinyl it is. You really don't want the crap Chinese stuff which i think they are selling at that price.

Personally, i think wrapping looks naff unless its a full wrap advertisement. Even then when you see one up close won't be impressed especially if its been on the car a year or so and will never last 10 years.

If your after a change of colour then i would go for a respray, it'll last longer and look better.
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Basically what Im doing is buying several body parts which are in a different colour to my car.

I want to keep the car red as it is now, but obviously will need to change the parts Im buying.

Respraying costs are frightening me off to be honest, Im after something non permanent for now so I can at least fit all the parts, and spray it at a later date.

Ive seen a few threads after Googling that make wrapping seem fairly straightforward and cost effective, just can't seem to get the opinions of someone thats done it!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I wouldn't say its majorly hard to do providing you have someone to help you put the vinyl on with. The hardest, well the most of the vinyl stretching will obviously be on the front and rear bumpers. So those are the hardest bits to do also if your wrapping this around any sharp edges you will need to buy the primer as well or it will lift/peel off.

But to me this is pretty easy as i do this for a job LOL. Oh, and don't even attempt this outside or you will have loads of dust/grit blown under the vinyl which will show

Cleanliness and prep is your best friend on doing this job.
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

I was looking over the car earlier and thinking in my mind what would be difficult about it, the things that strike me as being the toughest would be the wing mirrors and the spoiler.

Wrapping around the angles on the mirrors and then the underside of the spoiler look pretty damn hard.

What adhesive is best to use, is there one particular sort?

Edit - could have told me you did it for a living! :oldtongue:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

IF you're going to get it done, get it done properly :thumleft:
http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk

Did a friends GT2, very good results.
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

RobPhoboS wrote:IF you're going to get it done, get it done properly :thumleft:
http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk