[Mk2] [Turbo] DISASTER - wheel experts?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ggrice

[Mk2] [Turbo] DISASTER - wheel experts?

Post by ggrice »

Does anyone know what causes this? I have my own ideas, however I would really like to hear from anyone that works in a tire/wheel shop.

Two of my treasured Blitz 03's that I have been refurbing for 9 months just popped open like a crushed can at the tire shop when they were trying to fit new Falkens....

They realised what was going on when they did the back wheels, the fronts they did not get to start on yet so they are not wrecked. The tire still holds pressure but it looks very dangerous and the rim cover is split in three places and razor sharp :(

Here are the carnage pics, as I said before I would be really interested to hear from anyone who knows what the cause of this is:

Chris

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] DISASTER - wheel experts?

Post by Chris »

The wheels should have the tyres removed/fitted from the back and not the front!!

The rim has a polished cover on it, when they have took the tyre off, it has pulled it away from the rim.

Your tyre shop have fooked your wheels for you.
ashley

Post by ashley »

OUCH!!!

:shock:
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

Similar set-up to a few BBS wheels. Always fit and remove the tyres face down as its the machine that damages the pressesd lip when the tyre is forced over it
clubae111.com
Red Rev2
Black Rev3
craig

Post by craig »

Holy crap, I'd be wanting 2 new type 3's off them!! :shock:
ggrice

Post by ggrice »

They told me that they fitted the tire from the back and yes it is a chrome trim where the split has occurred.

The lip on my undamaged rims is a right angle. The two damaged ones are dished out now. Somehow the action of either:
a: putting the tire on the wheel, or
b: inflating the tire to set the bead,

has bent the outer part of the rim outwards and the chrome trim gave way like tearing a piece of paper.

I took the wheels to the shop with no tires on them so it wasn't removal, however they had been machine polished. Once again, they 'looked' ok when they went to be fitted, but could the polishing take strength out of the rim?

In my mind polishing would only be talking microns not mm's but could it weaken it?
Chris

Post by Chris »

They have been fitted from the front.

As you put the tyre on, the heel pushes the oposite side of the tyre upwards, normally this would feed the tyre into the well, but on split rims, the well is at the back edge so the tyre has nowhere to go but up.

This is what has pulled your trim up.

No way could popping the tyre to the rim cause this. I have fitted hundreds of tyres to split rims with no issues. This includes my old Blitz wheels.

I hope you get it sorted, but I reckon they will fook you off.
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

ggrice wrote:They told me that they fitted the tire from the back and yes it is a chrome trim where the split has occurred.

The lip on my undamaged rims is a right angle. The two damaged ones are dished out now. Somehow the action of either:
a: putting the tire on the wheel, or
b: inflating the tire to set the bead,

has bent the outer part of the rim outwards and the chrome trim gave way like tearing a piece of paper.

I took the wheels to the shop with no tires on them so it wasn't removal, however they had been machine polished. Once again, they 'looked' ok when they went to be fitted, but could the polishing take strength out of the rim?

In my mind polishing would only be talking microns not mm's but could it weaken it?

They probaly realised that once they saw the damage. It also would have been quite difficult to fit and remove the tyre with the face upwards. I mean im no tyre fitter by trade but I have done my fair share when I was younger and seen some identical damage to that on BBS wheels hence why any decent tryre fitters will know this

Hopefully you get it sorted
clubae111.com
Red Rev2
Black Rev3
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

That's what happens when you have a metal heel on a tyre machine. We use plastic ones to avoid this.
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Ouch! They don't look good mate :pale:
Site updated 14/04/2012
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

yup face down, I always watch mine when they are getting done and the tyre boss always tells them to watch the valve as well (new set = about £100 or something!!)
calum4492

wheels

Post by calum4492 »

what has the garage sed mate?
ggrice

Post by ggrice »

Went over again yesterday morning. They did a re-enactment from scratch and they showed me that they had trouble seating the tire on the rim (yes the face was down), the fitter showed me how it was getting stuck half way down the rim and binding due to the design of the rim. When the tire is inflated it mates the bead to the rim but the problem they had was that due to the position of the tire, it probably shot a couple of inches and it was that hit that knackered the outer rim. I don't know if they are supposed to take a hit like that as it was an aweful lot of force I saw going on normal wheels let alone where the tire is being held back.

Anyway I can't prove that the rims didn't have some kind of structural weakness so I am chalking this one up to experience. A very costly experience, but experience all the same. I think I might stick to one piece wheels in future.

Another good point is to go to a proper performance shop for performance rims. The guys I was dealing with are doing taxis all day and they may be missing a trick on how to deal with JDM performance rims.

Here's a pic of the wheels before hand... you can imagine how disheartened I am now

Return to “Modifications”