Mayo/ steam?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

klimite

Mayo/ steam?

Post by klimite »

Okay so as you know with the numerous other threads I have a problem

Firstly The rad has been changed and is fine.. the thermostat is also fine

Now theres a bit of mayo in the cap and a lot of steam out of the exhaust

I think it's either hgf or water pump?

can anyone tell me of any other tell tell signs to which it would be? or any tests?

Cheers :)
Blue_2

Re: Mayo/ steam?

Post by Blue_2 »

Is it over heating?

Do you get hot air from the vents inside the car when you turn the temp all the way up?

Mayo is a HG sign but depends how much......when the weather gets wetter and colder and if your only using the car every so often you can get alittle bit of condensation/mayo build up on the cap
Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

also have you had the coolant system pressure tested?
klimite

Post by klimite »

It is over heating and the expansion bottle has been boiling an spraying water/ steam out of the pipe.

Also theres a HUGE amount of steamy smoke out of the exhaust

as for pressure tests no i haven't I changed the rad /coolant today and it didnt change anything

it's also turning the water brown which looks like rust (needs a good clean) it's not sludgy or oily feeling, just feels like water through the fingers which makes me think it is just rust.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Sounds ominous.

Sniffer test would be my next step, but yeah, sounds goosed.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Get it nice and warm then get a garage to test the expansion with their exhaust sampler... it'll soon say if there are hydrocarbons present.
If it's HG whilst it's all in pieces you may as well do the pump change and cambelt and idler bearings etc. anyway... makes sense while you're there if you plan to keep it another few years yet.
Just had my H/G and bits done at Pacific Works (couple of pics of their work and engine bay bling in my garage) but you don't say where you are?

R.
klimite

Post by klimite »

the middle of exmoor.....

Oh happy days...

this is rather annoying tbh...I've spend all my money on this pos and it does this... grrrr If its a simple cheap fix I'll be keeping the car for a while, if not it may end up on fire :@
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Huge amounts of smoke and mayo would say HGF to me, exact same thing happened to me a few months back in the middle of Lincoln in an MG.

Not good, hope it gets sorted mate!
klimite

Post by klimite »

well if it's hgf myself and my mate are pretty confident on doing work to cars, is the hg going to be hard to replace? I watched that vid of that bloke with the annoying voice doing on one a tubby with cruise control and it looks like a right pain but then I wont have half that stuff on mine plus I'll drop the mani anyway because I have a janspeed stainless waiting to go on...

basically I think I need;

gasket set
water pump (only £30 deliv I may as well)
and belts? ... kits seem pricey will I need one or just the belts? the tension kit is like £300 plus for toyotas I was going to mark the cams to the block? (like you would to the belt..

any advice?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”