[Mk2] [NA] Easy cheap parts to replace on MK2 Rev 1??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

[Mk2] [NA] Easy cheap parts to replace on MK2 Rev 1??

Post by KarlBristol »

Hello

I have a MK2 Rev 1 NA, and wanted to do a few cheap and easy mechanic replacements before parts start to go wrong or die.

What parts are simple enough and cheap enough to replace that really should be done? Thinking of things that may be prone to failure bearing in mind my car is nearly 21 years old now.

I want to try and future proof my car a bit so it doesn't break down any time soon.

I've done the gearbox bushes, gearbox oil, square gearbox bush thing.
Anything suspension based I need to focus on?
g.lewarne

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Easy cheap parts to replace on MK2 Rev 1??

Post by g.lewarne »

Droplinks, balljoints, all ignition stuff, brakes
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Harold

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Easy cheap parts to replace on MK2 Rev 1??

Post by Harold »

Struts could probably do with changing also, as said above, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ball joints, suspension and arb bushes, droplinks, track rod ends, power steering rack ends (drumsticks), top mounts, spring top plates, brake calipers, brake hoses.

There's a few things to keep you busy, some more important than others, but if your parts are original and not failed yet then they're probably very tired (suspension especially). A full suspension refresh isn't going to be cheap though, easily looking at near a grand just on parts.

Return to “Mechanical”