Need some advice regarding car with no VIN plate

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Need some advice regarding car with no VIN plate

Post by bluesmoke »

OK, I am wary of putting this in the public domain, but I do need some help so here goes.

Last year, I set about rebuilding my damaged Rev 3 Turbo into a new shell. I bought the shell as pretty much a full car from a guy on the OC, with a blown engine. He had been using it daily, and everything seemed normal. I agreed a deala fter looking at photos, sent him the cash and had the car shipped to me.

He neglected tot ell me the car had no VIN plate on it. I was a bit pi$$ed off to say the least, but I dug around, and spoke to two previous owners who both confirmed it wasn't present when they had the car either. The car has had an AA inspection in the past and comes up HPI clear, so I'm happy it's legit etc. and always have been.

But it bothers me massively, and I feel like it makes the car pretty worthless.

The really weird part of all this, is that the number on the bulkhead matches the number on the log book, but it isn't the "sw20-xxxxxxxx" number normally there. It's a new number that has no letters in it and has a funny little Japanese symbol type thing at each end of it. It leads me to thinkt hat it may have been a stolen/recovered back in Japan.

Not my problem is this:
I'm looking to break it as it needs stuff done and the vin plate thing makes me feel like I'm just throwing money away if I spend anything else on it. However it's a good car, mechanically sound with a lot of new bits, and a lot of hard work has gone into it. I don't want to break it if the vin plate thing really isn't a big deal. As I say, the docs all stack up, it has masses of history, I've spoken to previous owners and it has had AA inspections and work done by Toyota in the past.

So what do I do??

It's a bit of a head scrambler at the minute. The rear arches need sorting and it needs new shocks, plus the sills have been repaired and fully replaced, witht he inner strengthening also done. it would be a perfect base for my TRD replica project, in other words. But this vin thing won't stop niggling at me, and has done for a year now.....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Need some advice regarding car with no VIN plate

Post by tonigmr2 »

Are there holes where it used to be?
Did it ever have a bimta check?
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

There are holes, yeah.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

From previous experience if its going to bother you now it'll still bother you in 2, 5 or 10 years down the line... So personally I would say get rid now as it's always going to niggle on you mind.

My logic is this:

The buying market has droped out of 2s at the moment which means that the parts market has picked up a bit as everyone is holding onto theirs (either out of choice or as they can't sell!) So if you were to break you'd get decent prices and a lot of people are finding they cant sell and so are breaking anyway.

If it was me I would break it all for parts (even the shell would probably be great for a track car), and the use the proceeds for a different MR2. Theres a lot of bargains to be had at the moment and its certainly a buyers market!!

At least you could start afresh then and who knows maybe even pick up a TRD replica with all the hard work done already :)

Ultimately its your choice and its got to suit what you want and how you feel
Good luck mate
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

if you have all the info why not just get a vin plate made and fitted? your obviously not bothered by the safety concerns of the unknown chassis as (if im reading this right) you've been using it anyway?

could've been assembled out of factory from spare parts, ive seen this before

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”