New overheating

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

klimite

New overheating

Post by klimite »

Okay so thermo went in and all was good, it was a little warm due to needing a new rad (bottom half of mine has collapsed new one should be sorted this week) anyway I went to the petrol station today which is 14 miles. didn't give it a hammering but did put my foot down now and again (country roads) anyway Just when I pulled in the started jerking and running really rough I/e not on all cylinders and smoking a lot out of the exhausts, I knocked it off and waited 20 mins for my old man to come out, it cooled and still ran rough upon start up. I wacked a bit of fuel in and I drove home v steady while he followed, I got about 7 miles and apparently it looked like water was coming out of the exhaust then steam out of the engine bay, A lot of it, it was coming spraying water (rusty due to rad) out of the overflow pipe on the expansion tank again as well...we stopped knocked on a locals door for some water topped it up an got it steady home again. but it just started to steam again when I pulled into the drive.

I've ordered some plugs, was thinking of leads but should be able to get a volt meter and test the leads, or should I just buy them?
klimite

Re: New overheating

Post by klimite »

P.s belts are squealing, could the water pump be goosed?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Turbo, N/A, rev?
klimite

Post by klimite »

sorry again keep forgetting the spec.

It's a 91 Jap N/A
klimite

Post by klimite »

anyone got an idea? sorry to bump just hopefully I will spend the day on thurs looking at the car so want an idea of where to start

Cheers
Nails

Post by Nails »

sounds more like a air lock if you'd just changed the thermostat. squealing belts result of coolant spraying on them?
klimite

Post by klimite »

That sir could be true, christ knows how it's still air locking, I spend aaages doing it!! like half hour haha

anyway new rad etc should help.
klimite

Post by klimite »

Right I've changed the sparks to nkg iridiums and all seems will :) so hopefully it was a failed spark and no other probs will arise with that.
Tomorrow I should be able to spend the day either changing the exhaust (if the rest arrives tomorrow) or changing the rad...depends also on the weather aha.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”