Battlefield3 thread....

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnnyC

Re: Battlefield3 thread....

Post by JohnnyC »

PW@Woodsport wrote: EA and DICE have alienated everyone on XP from the Beta test... hopefully they get this sorted for the full retail version, there's millions of us still on XP.
it won't be sorted for the retail version, that's how it is.

To be fair, if your machine is still on XP then the chances are it'll struggle to cope with a modern game like this.
sibster

Post by sibster »

what graphic card, cpu, etc do you have, most people with xp there system it self would be unable to cope with the game.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

it depends, im running an amd x2 6000+ at 30.1ghz
3gig ddr2
2x8800gts in sli
getting 40-50 fps with everything on medium

building a new rig for the release though lol
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Tried to download the Beta, went through all of the Origin crap and it won't install on my system, it would appear from reading the forums where this is a common issue that it won't install on XP, because XP won't allow DX9 or over, which the game tries to install but fails.

SO! EA and DICE have alienated everyone on XP from the Beta test... hopefully they get this sorted for the full retail version, there's millions of us still on XP.

If you check the minimum specs for the game, it does say Vista or Windows 7. It also has a minimum spec of DX10, with DX11 as a prefered. So it won't be fixed, it's your pc that needs fixing.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

sibster wrote:what graphic card, cpu, etc do you have, most people with xp there system it self would be unable to cope with the game.

Intel 3.2GHz Dual core
2MB Ram
Geforce GTX460 XLR8 overclocked edition
600w PSU

To be fair i can run any other high graphic demanding game with all of the settings on high, on a high resolution and still get 80 FPS with my set up, on a medium setting/resolution i can run 400 FPS no problem.

I feel hugely let down by EA/DICE over their decision not to include XP as do many others according to the forums i've read. Graphically my set up ranks pretty highly against most even though it's an older machine, it could easily run BF3 if they had wanted it to.

Some on XP have managed to get the Beta to run by fooling the install into thinking DX10 is there (don't ask me how, they're a lot cleverer than i am with PCs) and have reported no running issues at all, other than the same glitches found on 7.

So it purely comes down to their decision not to include XP, i personally think they just lost a huge target market there.
sibster

Post by sibster »

not really mate, graphics and games are progressing all the time, its like saying hey you released that game for the xbox 360 but not the old xbox, thats not fair.

think how much more they would have to spend making it work purely dx9 when there are now millions running vista and windows 7. the averedge je punlic upgrade there computer every few years wich comes free with the latest OS.

time to bite the bullet mate and get windows 7. drop me a pm i can get you a good deal.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

so what are your guys origin tags? would be good to have a decent squad instead of one that consists of 3 snipers and then my self actually trying to take objectives lol
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

All the above is why I went to a PS3,tired of downloading different patches etc to try to get the games to work.

With the ps3 just pop the game in load and play,contol is pap though,gimee a mouse any day.

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Phill P wrote:All the above is why I went to a PS3,tired of downloading different patches etc to try to get the games to work.

With the ps3 just pop the game in load......wait.......wait some more.......download...........wait......update........wait some more............install...........wait again.............still waiting.............and then finally play............just after waiting some more........contol is pap though,gimee a mouse any day.

:wink:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
I feel hugely let down by EA/DICE over their decision not to include XP as do many others according to the forums i've read. Graphically my set up ranks pretty highly against most even though it's an older machine, it could easily run BF3 if they had wanted it to.

So it purely comes down to their decision not to include XP, i personally think they just lost a huge target market there.

That's a fair enough comment, but on the flip side, Dice/EA would have been slaughtered if they used a DX9 based engine to run BF3. Most would have called it a cheap marketing ploy to flog another game (BF2 Special forces, AF, EF etc).

Personally, I'm not that bothered and I'm on XP still. It's given me the incentive to sort my pc out and move over to 7. I have 2 hard drives though, so I'll just boot to 7 when I want to game or XP for everyday use. Win/win (pardon the pun lol)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes looking at it that way i suppose it makes sense, about time i upgraded to 7, i like your idea of two hard drives for gaming/everyday use :thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

Speaking as a software tester for a development company, financially there is no benefit of coding and testing against outdated and the more important bit, non supported (by Microsoft) software. Yes it may work on older OS like XP but it wont have been tested on it and as such cant state that it will be compatible.

Win 7 is way better than Vista anyhow so you will be moving to a good solid OS anyway. As others have stated you can have dual boot if you want which is easy as pie to setup as this issue is only likely to continue with any other game/software that you want.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Last edited by thai boxer on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Pre-ordered mine last night and hopefully I'll get some spare time on Saturday to pop the new graphics card in and install 7 onto a spare H/D.

From what I've seen of the ingame footage it's a very different beast from BF2. Glad they've put in the destructable scenery, that should make it interesting :)
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Had mine preordered for weeks, can't wait!

Been playing Bad Company 2 literally every night since it was released, you'll find me on Xbox Live most evenings - kendoskeg11
sibster

Post by sibster »

if you have it on your hard drive you can play it now, ive been playing it since yesterday and its AWESOME lol, single and multiplayer.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Yay!

Everything max'd on ultra, and it really is awesome!!!
sibster

Post by sibster »

add me to origin mate fragreally there is a few of us teaming up
wickermonkey

Post by wickermonkey »

ive got both MW (cod) games and none of the other battlefield game but will be getting this over MW3 as i think that it is very different from other shooting games. MW3 just looks like a polished original with games modes that could have been DLC.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

wasnt gonna buy mw3 but i got it free with my new psu, just bought my self a nice shiney gtx 580 to go with them both :D loving bf3 at the min though

Return to “Games Consoles”