Ebuyer

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Ebuyer

Post by Martin F »

Scam ...

Nothing short of cowboys, my laptop developed a fault, they told me to send it back and that's the last i heard from them.
Contacted them after two weeks, they said that they found a fault but no longer stock that laptop so i could either choose another laptop or get a refund, only catch is that they keep £74 of my money regardless even though my laptop is still under guarantee, seems they pull this scam with everybody that claims under warranty, something to do with their terms and conditions and the sale of goods act.
It is now like speaking to a brick wall when trying to demand my money back, never heard of another company trying to pull something like this on something that is meant to be covered by a one years manufacturer's warranty... ](*,)

So when choosing a new laptop, sometimes it's better to avoid the cheapest option, as if given the chance they will steal from you... :evil:

Avoid =;
Last edited by Martin F on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanmr2turbo

Re: Ebuyer

Post by alanmr2turbo »

so they offered you a replacement or refund?

So where the £74 they are keeping from?
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I'm pretty sure thats against the consumer goods acts.

If an item sold is not fit for purpose... i.e broken and requires repair / replacement "In the first instance and if considered appropriate, the seller must offer to at least repair the goods. They must do this within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience. It is for this reason you are given a replacement item while the one you bought is being fixed"

See more at

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/and-if-my-sta ... -breached/

I would quote that to them and tell them to sort it out as they're infringing your statutory rights. :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

This was their reply...

Thank you for contacting Ebuyer complaints department. I am writing to you today further to your email of complaint which has been passed to me to be addressed. First of all please accept my most sincere apologies on Ebuyer’s behalf for any inconvenience that may have been caused with this issue. I can assure you this is not indicative of the usual high levels of service offered at Ebuyer. Having looked into your complaint further for you I can advise that when you returned the item to Ebuyer you were in your 12 month warranty, therefore we attempted to repair or replace the item. As this item was unfortunately out of stock and no longer available we were unable to provide any of these resolutions. As a result of this, as per the Sales of Goods act 1979(as amended) section F4048B if we are unable to repair or replace the item we can offer a proportionate refund for the item. This is calculated by dividing the total cost of the item by 72(the number of months the item is covered by the Sales of Goods Act), and then times this by the number of months the item has been in use for. This is then taken from the total cost. I can see that the proportionate refund has now been credited back to you and should be now showing in your Paypal account. Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience or annoyance caused. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind Regards Becky ClayEbuyer Complaints Handler
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

According to the sales of goods summary
http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf

If it is within 6 months the retailer has to prove that it has not been rejected within a "reasonable time". You have a decent case for a full refund.... Have a look at the site below and try sending them the letters :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/c ... downl.html
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Martin F wrote:This was their reply...

Thank you for contacting Ebuyer complaints department. I am writing to you today further to your email of complaint which has been passed to me to be addressed. First of all please accept my most sincere apologies on Ebuyer’s behalf for any inconvenience that may have been caused with this issue. I can assure you this is not indicative of the usual high levels of service offered at Ebuyer. Having looked into your complaint further for you I can advise that when you returned the item to Ebuyer you were in your 12 month warranty, therefore we attempted to repair or replace the item. As this item was unfortunately out of stock and no longer available we were unable to provide any of these resolutions. As a result of this, as per the Sales of Goods act 1979(as amended) section F4048B if we are unable to repair or replace the item we can offer a proportionate refund for the item. This is calculated by dividing the total cost of the item by 72(the number of months the item is covered by the Sales of Goods Act), and then times this by the number of months the item has been in use for. This is then taken from the total cost. I can see that the proportionate refund has now been credited back to you and should be now showing in your Paypal account. Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience or annoyance caused. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind Regards Becky ClayEbuyer Complaints Handler

So they divide the total cost by 72, then times this new number by the number of months the item was is use for, ie one month for you.

Was the laptop over 5 grand or am i too pi$$ed to do maths.
Hna

Please Read

Post by Hna »

Just noticed this while browsing on Google. I have a similar complaint with EBuyer and received almost exactly the same response. Long story short...I bought two laptops from EBuyer, the batteries on both of the laptops deteriorated fairly quickly. Telephoned them (assuming I was under the 12 month warranty) and I've been told the battery covers only 6 months of the warranty. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the terms and conditions. Having studied law myself I started telling them what legal requirements they should have considered. They failed to consider my requests and I am now considering further action.

They are clearly in breach of contract and there is definitely a good chance of claiming our money back, with the possibility of compensation considering the circumstances.

If you are interested please reply back, I'll provide you my personal email if you reply, and we can sort this out together. I'm reporting them to Watchdog, and I've passed their details on to the Trading Standards Agency because they are clearly in breach.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Heena. :)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

You won't get your money back for a battery issue. They are a consumable. Incorrect use could ruin a battery in a month. Don't waste your time.

If however the laptop just kept turning off for some unknown reason or the screen kept going funny, you could get the lot replaced.

Return to “Trader Feedback”