What do TRD reps go for these days?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Re: What do TRD reps go for these days?

Post by bluesmoke »

jack-p wrote:to me that car looks like a bit of a bargain, these cars are getting worryingly cheap... so much so i cant see me selling mine for a VERY long time! one thing to note is the front bumper and wings have been bonded as has the rear quarters to the sideskirts, not necessarily a negative if its been done properly but that area would be prone to cracks.

How do you get around possible cracking? And would it be terribly hard to remove? I'd scrap the shell after stripping it if I went for it, so could cut it no problem.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

well thats actually what i did wit mine because i wanted it to be based on a rev5. it wasnt that hard to remove in honesty, was just a case of chipping away the filler and unscrewing it (mine wasnt riveted on, just screwed). the difficulty i found was where the panels had been bonded together and shouldn't have been they left messy edges which needed fixing to give it a good finish. how much of this would you be tackling yourself and how much are you leaving to a bodyshop? this really could be an expensive route if left to a bodyshop.
heres my build thread, should give you an idea of whats involved. http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137122
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Well I wanted a car that I wouldn't have to mess with bodywork :lol:

But basically if I did this, I'd have to revise my plan, try and find a decent Rev 3 for upto £3k and have about a £1500 budget for the bodyshop. I'm not a sprayer, and I don't want to be doing anything that I might screw up and not be able to reverse!

Realistic?
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Anything I could fit myself, I would, i.e. swap boot lid over etc. Not sure how wings go on or skirts.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

dont really know to be honest, you haven accounded for buying the car with the kit and what you'd recoupe from breaking either. to give you an idea on what you should be able to do yourself, the only bodywork i paid for was the spraying and he also gave the rear quarters a final skim because i couldnt get it perfectly smooth. I paid £1000 to have it painted which included me doing all the prep (did it in his workshop under his supervision).
http://www.trd2000gt.com/ http://www.trd2000gt.com/ http://www.trd2000gt.com/ http://www.trd2000gt.com/ you need to study this website!!! :oldtongue:
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Hmm, I think it might be too much work/money involved. Not sure. I don't wanna jump on impulse as that's what I usually do and I get it wrong. On the other hand, that thing won't hang around too long.

I can't do what you did with the fibreglass, attaching the rear quarters or welding that bracket to attach the skirts etc.

Shouldn't the skirts have come with fixings on them anyway?

On the other hand, if I got a bodyshop to fit the hard parts, I could live with driving a patchwork car for a few months while saving a tiny bit more for spraying. I'd only have the car done in the original factory colour as well, to avoid further prep/messing about.

Need some advice on whether I'd be crazy to do this lol. I'd get back most of what I paid on that car even if I kept the bonnet and kit though.... could always sell the kit if I changed my mind?
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

my advice would be to get a rough quote from a bodyshop for the work then go from there. my car was painted in its original colour aswell but the bodykit will obviously need primer and paint and the majority of your car will be kit! (i may have overpaid for my bodywork though, who knows!)
i would definately drive it around for a couple months or as long as you can put up with before paint anyway, this way any cracks that appear can be fixed before paint :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What you are describing is a project that is quite big and will take a long time to get right - so make sure you are sure!
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Yeah it seems like it could quickly get very expensive.... I'm not sure whether I could cope with it or not....
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Been reading a lot of build stuff. Just how hard would it probably be to remove the TRD kit from that other car? Would I be right in thinking that I could remove the existing front wings and bolt them onto another car, same with the bumper?

Would the boot and rear bumper be the same? How hard would it be to get the rear quarters cut off? If I could just remove the other parts and port them over,t hen surely the rear quarter bits would be the only genuinely difficult part of the process?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

The only things that should be "difficult" to remove are the rear wings which should be bonded on. Front and back bumpers, front wings and side skirts should be bolt on. Boot lid including rear spoiler could be just swapped over with your own.

Jack-p has done this on his.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I think i should buy it then..... I didn't want to originally spend so much having bodywork done, but this is special..... If I can attach everything bar the quarters myself, and then just have those fitted and the car tidied and sprayed, it should be fairly reasonable I reckon.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

to remove the rear quarters you need to find roughy where the rivets are (you can usually see them vaguely through the bodywork), take a chisle and carefully chip away at the filler on around them then drill the rivets out. it's then a case of prising the panel from the car if it hasnt come loose already. (this was all heavily assisted by my dad and vampire off here when i bought my kit :eye: )
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Wasnt it Vampire who removed and sold the kit on the one he was breaking bout 18 months ago?
It is do able with lots of care and patience.
By the by it was me who bought the gold one as a project for under £400
in feb/march.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

ahh :thumleft:
posted above at the same time,was vampire then.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

What did you end up doing with it?
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

I have a TRD REP did it myself..rev4 turbo may be some pics of it knocking about some where on this site..can't say for sure how much it cost me , the car alone was 4k..not worth selling as like previous peeps have said the market has crashed i think i wait till they become rare collectable classics...
any way i think i did mine because the genuine one's were a bit to pricey a few years back..wonder if they have dropped in price to...

going back to that one advertised for 700 quids... if i had a garage i would buy it ..bargain .. rev3 engine conversions have dropped in price now too..
so could be worth throwing some money at....only though if you have TRD going through your veins. otherwise its just other kit car...

thank you... aka bakerman

found a link to my car

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103566
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

planted1 wrote:.
By the by it was me who bought the gold one as a project for under £400
in feb/march.

...so whats the latest on this? i need updates! 8)
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Ive still got it :thumleft:
its now prepped for painting,front nosecone needed 7 repairs alone :shock:
Whats listed in my garage is now on the car,just attempting to sort the turbo out,and mitsi low rise headlights before painting........
Tbh its been hassle all the way and i dont think i realised that when i took it on......but nearly there now :D
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

agentturbo wrote:I have a TRD REP did it myself..rev4 turbo may be some pics of it knocking about some where on this site..can't say for sure how much it cost me , the car alone was 4k..not worth selling as like previous peeps have said the market has crashed i think i wait till they become rare collectable classics...
any way i think i did mine because the genuine one's were a bit to pricey a few years back..wonder if they have dropped in price to...

In all honesty I would expect the originals to have experienced either a static price or a small rise. They aren't making them any more. :eye:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”