What's the best Spark Plugs to get???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

k11cpc

What's the best Spark Plugs to get???

Post by k11cpc »

I have a Rev2 ish 3SGTE with few bolt on mods, the car is stripped at the min as the head gasket has gone being a rev 2... The head is in the machine shop now so I'm just wondering what plugs to put in when its done as I'm going to do a full service while I'm at it.

Also anyone have any views on removing TVIS while its in bits? Will this loose me torque low down? The car is running about 280bhp at 1.1/1.2 bar boost.

Thanks in advance...
alanmr2turbo

Re: What's the best Spark Plugs to get???

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I Hope you have upgraded your head gasket if you running 1.2bar :shock:
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Yea he is replacing the it with a Revision 3 MLS Gasket. As for plugs mate, I'd use Grade 7's. Off the top of my head BKR7E's is what I used when I had bolt on mods the same as you. The not special plugs not Iridium, they should cost you no more than £2 each, Just change them every 3k - 4k.

Craig.
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

ordered them craig along with new oil filter and oil....
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:Yea he is replacing the it with a Revision 3 MLS Gasket. As for plugs mate, I'd use Grade 7's. Off the top of my head BKR7E's is what I used when I had bolt on mods the same as you. The not special plugs not Iridium, they should cost you no more than £2 each, Just change them every 3k - 4k.

Craig.

Is that the same part you'd use for a 400bhp (not confirmed) rev2/3 (rev2 block rev3 head)?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

k11cpc wrote:
Also anyone have any views on removing TVIS while its in bits? Will this loose me torque low down? The car is running about 280bhp at 1.1/1.2 bar boost.

Thanks in advance...

Not got real life experience of the differences of removing TVIS, but at least make sure it's actually working. If the actuator is gone, you'll lose a lot of flow.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

BKR7EIX
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I thought people shied away from the iridium tipped ones? Is that another forum myth?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Does anyone know the part number for 1 grade colder than stock platinum/iridium plugs? Chargecooler makes changing copper ones every 5k a hassle.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Shmed wrote:

Not got real life experience of the differences of removing TVIS, but at least make sure it's actually working. If the actuator is gone, you'll lose a lot of flow.

by default the butterflies are open...
i removed them when i went to a rev3 efi conversion just cause i had the head off. the bar still remained in there tho.
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

Shmed wrote:
craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:Yea he is replacing the it with a Revision 3 MLS Gasket. As for plugs mate, I'd use Grade 7's. Off the top of my head BKR7E's is what I used when I had bolt on mods the same as you. The not special plugs not Iridium, they should cost you no more than £2 each, Just change them every 3k - 4k.

Craig.

Is that the same part you'd use for a 400bhp (not confirmed) rev2/3 (rev2 block rev3 head)?

I'd be running 8s at that power, but then again I just bung a set of BCR8ES in anything that's running half-decent boost. They're a Wonder Plug :D
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

BKR7E all the way for me. Copper ones at about 10 a set :thumleft:

I have removed the TVIS on my new engine as it it just there in the way unless you are running the stock boost which you clearly are not. Can't comment that it has made any difference but it's all less weight and more space in the engine bay.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Not A forum myth shmed...truth and fact, re-gapping is a no no and det can do one in... in an instant.
Depends how far up the tuning route your going and how much confidence you have in your plugs...I have been running HKS irids/plats with no hiccups at all, pukka plug, still in great nick after a years abuse...but at £11 a set, the coppers are a safe bet untill you know that your engine managent is bulletproof. I 'm just a bolton at the mo so not pushing the boundaries really, but it seems to run just as smooth and sweet now with BKR7E's in it.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Brave man running HKS !

I know a few mappers that refuse to map with these plugs in due to the ceramic being renowned for breaking up.

NGK are the best plugs to use. I always use irridium plugs but thats my personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the copper plugs.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Harold

Post by Harold »

Century Motorsport wrote:BKR7EIX

As the 7 is a colder plug should it only be used on a heavily modded car?

Mine is mainly standard bar an exhaust so isn't really making anymore than stock power, just have copper cored 6s in at the moment.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

HKS...well they're out of the equation now, and thanks for the tip...could've been a lucky escape there.
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

christ, i'm running NKG BKR9EIX (STOCK CODE: 2669) :lol:
Harold

Post by Harold »

sjm1984 wrote:christ, i'm running NKG BKR9EIX (STOCK CODE: 2669) :lol:

Are you running some kind of crazy bhp?
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

Harold wrote:

close to 2 bar on a gt3076

What my builder recommended
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

sjm1984 wrote:
Harold wrote:

close to 2 bar on a gt3076

What my builder recommended

Does it work well during cold starts to? no misses during cold engine?
Im on range 7 now on E85 and it misses slightly during warm up, ones its warm it goes away.
im actually thinking about going back to oem range 6 and see what happens. I dont think hp is the factor to decide the heat range on plugs but how hot the engine is actually running, water and exhaust temp, even though more hp usually generates more heat ofcourse.
My engine runs 2 bar and my water temp never goes above 82C, max inlet temp 4th gear 8k rpm is 50C and my exhaust temp gauge shows a maximum of 750C, this is with the tip of the sensor inside the exhaust port. It feels like this is more or less lower than an oem engine but i could be wrong about it all??

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”