Lowering Springs!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Retro_Boy_G

Re: Lowering Springs!

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Ross, can you tell me what springs you are running that bring it down 35mm and is there any chance of a picture?
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a car running standard wheels but lowered 30-35mm?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

I should be fitting my 35mm APEX springs with my KYB Excel-G shocks soon so i'l post a before & after picture up then.

Its a standard car, running standard size wheels but they're from a different Toyota vehicle and painted black but obviously gives exact same ride height etc.
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Cheers dude :thumleft: . I've got a decent idea in my head how it will look but I just want to double check.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

Retro_Boy_G wrote:Ross, can you tell me what springs you are running that bring it down 35mm and is there any chance of a picture?

im running the kybs with fensport springs and im very happy with them probably not the best you can get but the ride is nice not too harsh at all

i havnt taken any pics from the side i will do and post it on here tomorrow but here is the best one i have that you can sort of see the wheels

Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Cheers man!

I notice you like your stickers! haha.. You should check out my blog Status Error.. We sell stickers mega cheap!
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Ah worrying as mine looks like it sits that low (if not lower ?) already on standard springs :/

But I think my old suspension has pretty much collapsed by now anyway so thats probably the reason why.

Also, your car wouldn't happen to be the white one with possibly 16" split rims (BBS fakes?) and Status:error sticker on the screen would it ?
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

i do like stickers i will have a look at that i could easly get obsessed with stickers im trying to control myself otherwise i would have a whole stickered car lol.

and i was hoping the car would be lower than it is but i dont actualy know how low an mr2 sits on standard springs so i cant work it out if its lower or not, but the ride is very nice.
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Hughes - The very one dude.. It's a bit different now as I sprayed the centres in a baby blue.. The springs aren't actually for this car though, I've just bought another one in which I intend to run standard but lower.

I didn't want to say but looking at that picture it does look like it runs a bit higher than standard (from my past experience anyway) but there is the chance that my old springs had sagged so much. When I had my APEX on though it looked a lot lower than yours Ross.

Oh, thank you Hughes for the support! Your stickers are all done and getting posted today at 8:30!

This is the only recent shot I have of my white one just now, It's sitting in my garage with the interior stripped while I install a half cage!

ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

thats what i thought when i put them on i thought it looked a bit high. i want mine as low as yours is is that shocks and springs, what springs are they and did you need to do any mods to get them to fit Retro_Boy_G? also do you have a pic of yours with the apex's on so i can see if mine looks higher.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

here is a pic of mine from the side i do think it just looks the standard hight when i fitted them but cos the old ones had been cut down i couldnt compaire it with anything

Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Its on coilovers dude so I can adjust the height.

What springs are on your car Ross? What size are the wheels also? I did have 15" Slipstreams on mine but the tyres were quite low profile so it couldnt be much different from the standard 14" wheels and their huge tyres!

Ill get some old pictures up today for you.
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

HughesR1 wrote:I should be fitting my 35mm APEX springs with my KYB Excel-G shocks soon so i'l post a before & after picture up then.

Its a standard car, running standard size wheels but they're from a different Toyota vehicle and painted black but obviously gives exact same ride height etc.

i will be looking forward to seeing the pics from this if its lower than mine then mine are not 35mm lowering springs like i was told and i will have to get myself some new springs.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Quick snap of Jamex front compared with stock

A lot of coils & as Paul said, very close together

Looking a the pic now I think the Jamex maay be upside down

Peter
ross-taylor

Post by ross-taylor »

Retro_Boy_G wrote:Its on coilovers dude so I can adjust the height.

What springs are on your car Ross? What size are the wheels also? I did have 15" Slipstreams on mine but the tyres were quite low profile so it couldnt be much different from the standard 14" wheels and their huge tyres!

Ill get some old pictures up today for you.

i wish i had got coilovers now instead of shocks and springs but a good set was out of my budget, my springs are just fensports own ones, my wheels are 15" and i think of the top of my head the profile is 50 so not that low.

chears i would like to see them
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Found an old pic from TB of a Mk1 with Jamex front springs fitted...

Sorry but they're just crap!

For what it's worth the rears are fine, this is just a front issue with Jamex, and also this is going back about 5 years ago, i hope they have changed the design since then.

EDIT: note the owner tried to help the clashing coils by sleeving some of them with tubing, which did lessen the noise, but where is the suspension compression on those? I see 5mm between coils if that, garbage.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Found an old pic from TB of a Mk1 with Jamex front springs fitted...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/ ... peedo1.jpg

Sorry but they're just crap!

For what it's worth the rears are fine, this is just a front issue with Jamex, and also this is going back about 5 years ago, i hope they have changed the design since then.

EDIT: note the owner tried to help the clashing coils by sleeving some of them with tubing, which did lessen the noise, but where is the suspension compression on those? I see 5mm between coils if that, garbage.

Yes, what is shown in your pic is totally unacceptable and indeed quite barmy Paul

Will be a couple of weeks before I can try them on. When I do will take pics & report back on findings

If they turn out anything like your pic I shall definately not be using them

Peter
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Not a great picture but this is what it looked like about a year ago when I was rocking my APEX springs and 15" slipstreams.

I put my standard wheels back on the new car yesterday and the arch gap is insane.. Ordered the APEX springs this morning to at least bring it down a touch..

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

When I sort an account out with facebucket or whatever it is then I will put on eup of mine. Its on standard MK1a alloys and has been lowered by 30mm (brand unknown) and is on KYBs.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Just use Tinypic.com dude. It's very simple! I'd like to see the pictures if possible :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”