those with CCs, fan useful or needed on the drivers side intake???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

those with CCs, fan useful or needed on the drivers side intake???

Post by jimGTS »

im wondering if indeed a fan is needed or useful on the drivers side intake now im running a CC? i currently have a 7inch SPAL spare and id like to use it.

removing the fan completely gives me a fan error on the dash, but i can simply pull the control box from the boot, no big deal, but if its werth while running a fan on that side, i may as well????
or positioning it elsewhere in the name of reducing engine bay temps?

i already run rogue engine lid fans...

what have others done or what is recommened in this regard?

cheers
jim
Marf

Re: those with CCs, fan useful or needed on the drivers side intake???

Post by Marf »

No fan here. Did think about hooking up a fan with a duct to push air between the cam cover and the ST205CC but thought it'd be more hassle than its worth. Woudl rather install the ST205 ECU and have it stop the pump when the car was stationary so only one CC's worth of water got warmed when at a standstill.

Perhaps you could put the duct to good use and fit your oil cooler in there with a fan sucking air in?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There was no side mount fan on mine either. Seemed OK!

+1 for the oil cooler idea. I'm sure someone had that setup, maybe lockys PP car?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

only thing i worry about with oil cooler there is it would be higher than the sump/filter...thought this could be an issue.

suprised you mention it as the oil cooler has been sat in a box the last year doing nothing, lol.
new project perhaps to keep me busy
:eye:
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:only thing i worry about with oil cooler there is it would be higher than the sump/filter...thought this could be an issue.

Not at all, the oil gets to the head just fine doesnt it? The system is pressurised so no worries.

jimGTS wrote:suprised you mention it as the oil cooler has been sat in a box the last year doing nothing, lol.

I remember you removing it so thought you could put it back in now you have some engine bay space :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Marf wrote:
jimGTS wrote:only thing i worry about with oil cooler there is it would be higher than the sump/filter...thought this could be an issue.

Not at all, the oil gets to the head just fine doesnt it? The system is pressurised so no worries.

jimGTS wrote:suprised you mention it as the oil cooler has been sat in a box the last year doing nothing, lol.

I remember you removing it so thought you could put it back in now you have some engine bay space :)

i ment it terms of filling the cooler+lines with oil really with it being higher.
obviously under pressure some willl get there, but on startup nothing will be there as it would have drained into sump?
tho im sure if it were to go back on, it would end up where it was before :eye:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Shouldnt matter, the cooler is thermostatted(assume it is being PP) so there wont be any flow from cold anyways.

Oil filter relocation kits almost always put the filter far higher than the pump/filter and there are no issues there.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Marf wrote:Shouldnt matter, the cooler is thermostatted(assume it is being PP) so there wont be any flow from cold anyways.

Oil filter relocation kits almost always put the filter far higher than the pump/filter and there are no issues there.

am sure its pressure related, not thermostatted, least thats what it looked like to me...(i spotted a ball+spring type design in the sandwich plate), so can only asume it flows more into the cooler as oil pressure builds up.

:?
Marf

Post by Marf »

No it'll be thermostatted, the ball and spring may be to limit pressure across the cooler, but it'll be thermostatted for sure.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

The UK MR2 manual says do not drive above 35mph or so with a non-functioning side vent fan. Based on this i'm looking to install an N/A fan assembly + shroud when I get round to removing stock intercooler/fan, and I like OEM goodness!

It might have been my imagination but the engine bay did feel/smell a bit hotter aroudn the aircon compressor after my chargecooler install when the stock I/C fan did not activate.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

asdrewq wrote:The UK MR2 manual says do not drive above 35mph or so with a non-functioning side vent fan. Based on this i'm looking to install an N/A fan assembly + shroud when I get round to removing stock intercooler/fan, and I like OEM goodness!

It might have been my imagination but the engine bay did feel/smell a bit hotter aroudn the aircon compressor after my chargecooler install when the stock I/C fan did not activate.

Both my old car and Jim's car had engine lid fans, so I think the question really is do you need a 3rd sidemount fan when you've already got 2 in the lid.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I've got the standard fan in there, on a switch - I use it on really warm days or when stationary in traffic (when i remember, lol).
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

asdrewq wrote:The UK MR2 manual says do not drive above 35mph or so with a non-functioning side vent fan. Based on this i'm looking to install an N/A fan assembly + shroud when I get round to removing stock intercooler/fan, and I like OEM goodness!

Plus jims car is not really UK MR2 is it.... :)
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

just cold air blowing over the motor really, mine is still on with a cc maybe push some of the heat soak away on idle
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

Jim

Are your lid fans on a switch or controlled by the stock engine bay sensor?

on mine the lid fans are on a switch and the Stock OEM fan is on all the time.

Toxo - I remember Luke (pacific works) mocking up brackets for his black tubby for a large oil cooler to be put in place of where the stock IC would site
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

They are all on a switch as well as controlled by the sensor. (incase I forget to turn them on once warmed up).

I should probably just ignore the oem system and just go to a switched live as I constantly have them on anyway. Tho i would like to figure out what I may have blown to stop them working at all now. Hopefully just a small fuse, I haven't checked yet.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

On the two i have done i have got a fan and shroud off an NA and installed, looks a lot better than a fan held in place by cable ties etc!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tricky one, if i go with a fan id really like to go with the spare SPAL i have or nothing at all, and theres no easy way to mate a SPAL to the NA shroud thing ](*,)
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

could you use the NA one to make a templarte in aluminium, then just cut a hole for the spal?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Neil_turbo wrote:could you use the NA one to make a templarte in aluminium, then just cut a hole for the spal?

well i still got the shroud off the PP ic, so i could easily copy that i guess and just cut the hole as you for the SPAL!
:-$ :clap: :clap:

i would probably cut extra holes in the plate just too so the bay get more air at speed...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”