Clutch choice that is female friendly

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Clutch choice that is female friendly

Post by uglee »

Planning on doing a week long tour in the MR2 next year with the missus. She would like to drive it occasionally and it would be to my benefit too.
However the ACT clutch is just way too heavy. I struggle with it in traffic so my missus has no chance. Also it's a chattery b1tch below 2000rpm.

So on the lookout for a decent quality clutch that can hold approx 275hp & 275ftLb ATW with as close to stock levels of pedal effort as possible.
Looking at the range of clutches available it's hard to gauge what would be suitable. They said that the ACT would be 50% above stock effort however I'm reckoning closer to 100%.

So I'm looking for peoples own experiences with various uprated turbo clutches that are similar power levels to mine. :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Re: Clutch choice that is female friendly

Post by T.F.S. »

exedy stage ones i find quite good (but i havent had one on a 3SGTE yet) but my 10yr old stock clutch seems to be coping fine with circa 350bhp at the fly..., its not slipping yet...
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

T.F.S. wrote:exedy stage ones i find quite good (but i havent had one on a 3SGTE yet) but my 10yr old stock clutch seems to be coping fine with circa 350bhp at the fly..., its not slipping yet...

Felt just like stock in mine and handled 328hp no problem

Its for sale with 80% life left.

Pressure plate and friction plate £100
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Aye...I would agree.
uglee

Post by uglee »

What sort of torque were you generating, at what revs?

The 2GR produces nearly all its available torque from around 2000rpm. Because of that it spends a lot of its time in 5th gear between 20mph and 60mph. Which is where i think it would most likely slip?
I've had a stock Exedy on my old turbo and the quality does seem good. Will have a look into the stage one :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Probably best off as advised with the stage one exedy. I had similar on my Charade Turbo, the clamp spring on the clutch is upgraded, uses a stock pressure plate and this results in little change in pedal feel whilst giving increased torque capacity with no juddering.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

I use the stock Exedy clutch (£150) and I have similar power figures to you and I use my car in a sprint series so it gets plenty of hammer and copes just fine :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”