£15 = 50 miles - Poor MPG

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

Re: £15 = 50 miles - Poor MPG

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Well I get 240 miles out of 44 litres.

Fill the tank up when the orange fuel light is pretty much on solid to full, which is 44 litres for my Rev 3 Tubby.

If I drive keeping car between 50 - 60 MPH with the odd heavy right foot action to blast round slow cars I avearge just under 6 miles a litre.

I tend to not do too much slow / town driving due to location of house and work, all roads near me are national speed limit except the ind estate i work on and my locak town, so even with the air con on I don't notice much of a differance in mileage per litre when driving and that's on the cheep Shell petrol, also still doing the same journeys I did not find the expencive Shell V Power stuff any better in fact the only differance I found was in my back pocket !!!!!
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

Heavy right foot! :wink:
DaveImok

Post by DaveImok »

It all depends on how you drive 20 -30+ mpg from heavy or light footed but I have noticed my fuel economy is much worse on short trips until the coolant is up to temperature.
I have changed my thermostat on my rev4 which speeded it up a bit but the engine is running rich after starting with fast idle for far too long compared to my previous rev2.

I suspect another of my temp or sensors is faulty so I will get around to changing them when I find out where they are!
Still need to learn the effects of a faulty air inlet or coolant temp switch or sensor before forking out for something that isn't needed on a NA mr2.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

20 litres per gallon urban absolute tops I get thats 200 miles till the light comes on then put in about 40 litres
70mph motorway use with vaccum to no boost up to 30mpg but motorway boosting and it's back down to 20mpg

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”