MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GT-Thunder

MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Post by GT-Thunder »

OK, I have been kicking about IMOC for a while and know a few people including fellow MR2 enthusiast which are active on this forum and another one I am active on. I thought I should introduce the MR2 and share my progress.

The MR2 was bought to replace my Gen 7 Celica GT which I owned for 3 years from nearly new and was traded her in last year in favor of a more practical diesel to meet our needs and addition to the family. I have always been into modifying cars over the years and MR2 weekend project really ticked the boxes.

So December last year the search begun for a good solid MR2 project car, I have taken advice from some good friends and viewed a couple of cars which were not up to the standard I wanted.

A friend spotted a genuine numbered UK anniversary model of the 250 run. The car has so much history which £1,000's in receipts from Toyota and even receipts for bulbs, clips, HPI receipts for previous sales and MOT’s. It is very very original with all booklets etc...

Bodywork wise she is in great condition, drivers door was shot and surface rust near the T-Bar and pillar but totally solid everywhere else including the arches. She has been really well looked after by the 3 previous owners but showing signs of age.

The deal was done and I brought her home and immediately started to strip it down.

I have big plans for the car, modified/update in the OEM style but finished to a show and shine standard with some minor cosmetic changes to update her.

To ensure originality I have kept many parts or bought replacements so I can go back to a totally original anniversary edition should I wish. (Apart from when I change the engine in my quest for big power... :D )

I know the project will take some time and will never be truly finished.

She is currently in for paint so will upload some pics when photo bucket stops playing up :(
craig

Re: MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Post by craig »

Excellent mate, looking forward to updates. And of course PICS.

Couldn't resist:

:ttiwwp:

:mrgreen:
GT-Thunder

Re: MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Post by GT-Thunder »

Well at last I manage to make photo bucket work

OK, here are some pics of when I got the car home. As you can see the car is great condition but some bits needed addressing. I spoke to Anthony from Sprayzone and we decided how to tackle it.

Image :D
Last edited by GT-Thunder on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

So after the task of stripping her was complete. The car was shipped off for paint.

A new door was sourced and the rust treated on the pillar and next to the t-bar. As they have got stuck into the car a number of minor car park dings which are hard to see to the naked eye were found so these were addressed.

As you can see work is well under way.

W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Reminds me of when I had my red tubby resprayed, it might be worth taking the bumpers off as the finish will be better, at least thats what I found.

I also own number 155 of 250 what number have you got, some pics of the finished paint job would be great. Nice to see a fellow enthusiast.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Hello mate, mine is number 35. I have often wondered how many if the 250 run are left....

Thanks for the pointer on the bumpers. It is hopefully getting painted this week so will upload some pictures. Really looking forward to seeing it all painted up. :)
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Sounds nice pics would be good. I've also been a bit curious on the numbers of these left I might set up a post to see if we can get an idea.

Look forward to following your doing up post.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
ashley

Post by ashley »

How do you find out what number it is?
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

All the UK anniversary cars were numbered. They have a numbered badge on the steering wheel, ashtray and engine lid. Only available in silver or blue. I got some parts from Mr T and they also had it listed as a anniversary model.

Hope this helps.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice progress pics mate, love these type of projects :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Thanks mate, just hope I remember where everything goes :)
craig

Post by craig »

GT-Thunder wrote:Thanks mate, just hope I remember where everything goes :)

Well there is that! :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

GT-Thunder wrote:All the UK anniversary cars were numbered. They have a numbered badge on the steering wheel, ashtray and engine lid. Only available in silver or blue. I got some parts from Mr T and they also had it listed as a anniversary model.

Hope this helps.

Ahh- that makes more sense, I think my NA is a JDM anniversary edition.

Looking forwards to seeing yours finished :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Right all, small update she is painted!!!! \:D/

Well vents, lid and spoiler to go but the bulk of it is, I it is in the flatting stage and and polish so you can see small glints of shine. Anthony who painted it said it looked fantastic when it was just pulled out the booth. It is totally ding free :)

Also, a few pics of my wheels, I had them professionally stripped and powder-coated in anthracite to keep with the anniversary theme, new studs from Japan finish them off.

More updates to come! :thumleft:

lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

i have a set of those Rotas, but i never realised the studs come out?!?!?!
I will have to give that a go, as mine a getting a bit grotty :P
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Great choice of wheels for that colour car. look forward to seeing them fitted.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Nice to see a restoration thread, what mileage is the car on?
p.s. you might want to put away the wheels on there, got a feeling those on anniversary cars were a darker colour than normal.
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Cheers for the comments so far guys, looks like it is coming back this Thursday so the rebuild begins, a slow job as going to take my time. waxoil all the doors etc...

I have started writing myself a list of things to do..... it is huge.... and that's just to get it back together and before I hit the running gear....

tonigmr2 - just clicked 117k, yeah the wheels are getting wrapped up with the original spoiler and and few other bits to add to the collection of standard parts I am changing.

On the spoiler front I am going to be running a Rev 5 spoiler, I have been offered a genuine one (will need painting) so my freshly painted copy one will be hitting the for sale section. It was test fitted before painting and its a good fit, will test fit for for some pics, just incase anyone is interested.

:thumleft:
Rugbynut

Post by Rugbynut »

Hi good to see the progress. I recent purchased a silver anniversary edition. Number 219. Also a bit of a project but I think mine might take a little longer to get to this standard!! If ever!

Look forward to The rest of the story!
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Rugbynut wrote:Hi good to see the progress. I recent purchased a silver anniversary edition. Number 219. Also a bit of a project but I think mine might take a little longer to get to this standard!! If ever!

Look forward to The rest of the story!

Cool, glad to see another anniversary :) you will have to share your progress...

Well she is back from paint, I will upload some pics from my phone when back from JAE. I did have some on my camera but small miscommunication between me and the wife and she washed my jacket with the camera in the pocket #-o

Need to full polish and wax but until I make it water tight I wont be touching that for a while.

:thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”